Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Moved to Showcase - Teamnesia Marathon
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Teamnesia Marathon

I propose a Loading Text Standard:

We should be given the option to set our own loading text for when the player chooses the door (or whatever) that leads to our map. For this i present the following standard for the .lang file:
<CATEGORY Name="LoadingText">
    <Entry Name="name_of_map">Loading text here...</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
Name of map would not contain the extension ".map" but the basename.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Yeah I'm going to test out a script to change the load text based on which door is used.

It works Smile Each author can include their own loading text.

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2011, 11:00 PM by palistov.)
08-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

Since other people are documenting their progress, I figured I might as well join it Smile.
My design originally was for a set of 3 puzzles, based around a "paradox" theme, though after drafting out what I thought would be the coolest part of the level, it wasn't really as good as it was in my head, but i did like the idea of the platforming section I had added in. Though originally I couldn't really think of a good theme to run with this for a whole map.

Now though, I have a kinda abstract theme Wink. The level is titled "platform perils" - a reference to DKC. Got some really cool stuff going on with the lights, found an awesome skybox, and am have written up some pretty neat scripts, the most recent of which allows me to name any of my entities in the map "rotate" and follow the name by 4 floating point parameters ("e.g: rotate_-1_0_0_0.5" (Param order: x,y,z,speed)) and it will rotate using those parameters to define the motion. Here's a little screenshot, but the map is far from finished.
Spoiler below!

[Image: 2VPZc.png]
Pillars on the right-hand side are placeholders until I fully script in moving platforms

Came across a rather interesting physics "problem" today too - as many of my platforms were originally going to be entities I assumed i could just place them and the game would work fine. Turns out that isn't the case - entities need to be within a certain radius of a static object or plane to remain in the physics simulation (which is a little annoying if, say, you want to stand on them). Took me a while to work out why the game was having me fall through only certain platforms.

Also, it might be worth each custom map getting it's own category in the credits, as I am using sky-box resources from elsewhere - and i imagine other people may want use ents and stuff which have been released in the showcase.

Another thought - possible to get people to give you the lang files in a different form, e.g text file with the name as the catagory and the text (in some specified format - E.g first line as the entry name, next line as the entry text and so on) as the lang file data, this should make it pretty easy to write something to just slap together a lang file automatically?
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2011, 01:33 AM by Apjjm.)
08-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Looks very neat Apjjm Smile I don't know how to merge the lang files automatically. I know you know your way around so if you can do work something up for it that'd be swell. Otherwise I'll just be manually putting em together.

08-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I'll show what I've come up with so far:

I have decided to go with some sort of egyptian theme, making a part of the library of Alexandria. I have fleshed out what should be most of the map. It's quite dark with very little lighting at the beginning. In additition to that the player isn't able to use the lantern, but must put trust in a carriable torch.

Spoiler below!

[Image: FVbDA.jpg]

Later on I will try to add some neat sand effects; such as from footsteps, dropping from the ceiling and alike.

Puzzle-wise I have thought of creating a puzzle where the player should put stars and planets in the right positions (represented by different staffs). As of now I have created the model for the staff, which looks something like this:
Spoiler below!

[Image: Wd10b.jpg]

The last part looks something like this:
Spoiler below!

[Image: r9ypH.jpg]

It's an obelisk at which I will script a sort of really cool scene I have in mind.

It's far from finished. What worries me most is how I'm going to add unique detail to the library part - as most players have seen the default tileset a million times. I might have to retexture the walls of something. I'll see what I come up with.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

08-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Wow guys I LOVE the cool stuff people are coming up with. Keep at it guys this is really neat stuff Smile

08-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Find
Selyp Offline

Threads: 19

All of these look very unique and original, and awesome!

Atlantia - An Amnesia: The Dark Descent Full Conversion Mod
08-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Moved to Showcase - Teamnesia Marathon

I noticed the names of the maps are being listed in the other thread. Here's the name of the "map story" i'm working on: Amnesia's Creed. Screenshot will be provided when i'm near completion, though.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-20-2011, 07:13 AM
Website Find