Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra in Sims 3
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Penumbra in Sims 3

Looks really good, great idea. Big Grin

I'm a werewolf. Meow.
-----------
The Beauty of Nature.
-----------
08-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(08-26-2011, 11:17 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: It's Howard's secret room.

yes I mean, how it will work in-game. That's what I didn't get. The sims has to step on it or something?
08-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

lol, I don't know. I gave up playing after first game. I didn't even play the expansions of the first game.

08-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I was playing Sims like...5 years ago and I stopped at Sims 2. Never played the 3rd one.

(at first I thought you meant Overture. That you played only Overture and not Black Plague and Requiem) Tongue
08-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Find
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13

Thanks Gharren. Smile

Pluto, Tanshaydar, you two don't know what you're missing.... XDD

As for the tomb thing, it will basically cause that room to be completely hidden. Your sims won't see it, you won't even see it until a sims walks in. This will show you exactly what I mean. When the sims descends the stairs, you can only see the room he walks into until he unlocks the door and walks into the next room. Only then does that room become visible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38jdboJmoLs

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
08-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

oh yes, very nice idea then! Smile
08-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Find
eiahmon Offline

I'm on a roll here. XD

Well, after fighting the game because it did not want to display my shiny new wall that I had created, I noticed that Create a Pattern automatically tiles whatver pattern you upload into it so it's about the third of a wall. So I got to thinking - since the game seems to ignore bump maps, why go through the trouble of cloning and redoing a wall? Why not just make a single flat wall, with three recolorable channels, and split the wall patterns into thirds and import them via Create a Pattern? So that's what I did; I forsee that making walls will be much easier now. XD

The library is done now. I redid its walls using the method I mentioned above, and while there are three thin lines where the three sections of the pattern meet, I still think it looks loads better than what I had before. For some reason, half of the floor is much darker than the other half. Don't ask me why; it's likely Sims 3's doing. The lighter area on the wall behind the pushable bookshelves is a hidden door that will blend in with the wall in live mode, only becoming visible once a sim investigates it.
[Image: Screenshot-42.jpg]

Close up of the wall. The wall is darker than it is in Penumbra. That's Sims' doing; it for some reason darkens every pattern you put in. I normally lighten them up in Paint.NET before importing, but I was in a hurry and forgot this time. Still looks nice though, lines and all.
[Image: Screenshot-43.jpg]

I got Storage done too. That green thing in the middle of the floor is a switch that will activate the steam trap (those holes in the floor beside it) when a sim steps on it. I figured since i couldn't drop a weight of their heads that a steam trap would work just as well. Once in live mode, the trap and its switch will become invisible. The trap will be visible once it's activated, but the switch will remain unseen.
[Image: Screenshot-45.jpg]

Oh by the way.. I found a saw. XDDDD
[Image: Screenshot-44.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2011, 10:11 AM by eiahmon.)
08-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Ha, ha the saw looks great! I didn't know that Sims could be so heavily modified. Smile

(I guess 4 images this time! Tongue)
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2011, 11:25 AM by plutomaniac.)
08-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Find
eiahmon Offline

When I finally release this thing, the custom contents credits is going to be a decent length. XD

Yes! The forum finally learned how to count! :p

What do you think of the steam trap idea? I had a choice between that, electricity, fire, and darts, but I thought that steam fit the Penumbra theme better, not to mention that it would just get a sim soaked, not hurt them.

08-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Find
Frost Offline

Threads: 8

Steam certainly fits Penumbra the best. o_o
08-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Find