Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Work in progress Teamnesia: A community-wide effort
Patacorow Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Teamnesia: A community-wide effort

You should give a theme to each participant so the mappack won't be messed up - e.g moving from a hub to a lake
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(08-22-2011, 08:41 PM)Patacorow Wrote: You should give a theme to each participant so the mappack won't be messed up - e.g moving from a hub to a lake

Randomness is expected and intended in this.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Website Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

(08-22-2011, 09:01 AM)Phoroneus Wrote: Posting my recommendation that mappers place "<mapname>_" before their entry names, so something like:
<Entry Name=RustyKey_ItemDesc>A rusty key.</Entry>
would become
<Entry Name=MyMap_RustyKey_ItemDesc>A rusty key.</Entry>

It's probably the simplest way to ensure we have no overlap between entry names.
It's easier to just make sure the categories don't require merging in the first place - it doesn't matter what the entries are called then. Anyhow, in need of some .lang files for extended testing (Everything appears to be working but i'd rather be sure now instead of having to go back to the code later), but after that i can post up the tool. You will need .net framework 3 or above (Written in c#) to use the program.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2011, 09:26 PM by Apjjm.)
08-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

The map is called: Library of Alexandria

I will re-present my map here in the showcase forum:

-----------------------Original thread message---------------------------------------------
I'll show what I've come up with so far:

I have decided to go with some sort of egyptian theme, making a part of the library of Alexandria. I have fleshed out what should be most of the map. It's quite dark with very little lighting at the beginning. In additition to that the player isn't able to use the lantern, but must put trust in a carriable torch.

Spoiler below!

[Image: FVbDA.jpg]

Later on I will try to add some neat sand effects; such as from footsteps, dropping from the ceiling and alike.

Puzzle-wise I have thought of creating a puzzle where the player should put stars and planets in the right positions (represented by different staffs). As of now I have created the model for the staff, which looks something like this:
Spoiler below!

[Image: Wd10b.jpg]

The last part looks something like this:
Spoiler below!

[Image: r9ypH.jpg]

It's an obelisk at which I will script a sort of really cool scene I have in mind.

It's far from finished. What worries me most is how I'm going to add unique detail to the library part - as most players have seen the default tileset a million times. I might have to retexture the walls of something. I'll see what I come up with.
-----------------------End of Original thread message-------------------------------------------

New stuff:
I have created some more of the puzzle with the planets. But if I could get some help from other people on this project concerning implementation, that would be greatly appreciated.
Spoiler below!

[Image: o9WDQ.jpg]

I have also decided to upload a video of some other stuff I have been doing + the puzzle part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYJ65mqvLNQ

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

08-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Curtains look cool. Can lights cast shadows on them? That would be very beneficial with scares and grunts walking across them. Then they would start chasing you through those Big Grin
08-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

That looks really neat Acies Smile.

Since i'm posting, i figured i should make a screenshot of where i'm up to. This is pretty much the first half of the map done minus filling in a few spaces with objects & particles.
Spoiler below!

[Image: AD0cD.png]
Lighting is triggered based on progression through the level, which is why it appears all dark to start with, but the silhouettes of the platforms actually looks nicer than I initially expected.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2011, 01:50 AM by Apjjm.)
08-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Can't wait to play that, Apjjm Smile

08-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

(08-24-2011, 01:46 AM)Apjjm Wrote: That looks really neat Acies Smile.

Thank you. I must say that your map looks really good too. Think I will enjoy playing through these maps more than any other I've played so far.

(08-23-2011, 10:39 PM)Rapture Wrote: Curtains look cool. Can lights cast shadows on them? That would be very beneficial with scares and grunts walking across them. Then they would start chasing you through those Big Grin

Yes, that would definately be a good idea. They are "2-sided" though, so there cannot be any shine-through light as it would be on a normal cloth. It could be solved with a monster-formed gobo on a spotlight though..... he he Smile I thought something along these lines while creating them.

To add something| Progress report:

I have decided to base this map off a "living environment" - creating a series of scripts which invokes different types of random events while running. On top of that they are based on "threat levels" - the higher the threat level the worse/better the scare.

I have also discovered that only mono sounds may be played in 3D mode. This has bugged me in the past, not being able to create point-specific sounds.

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM by Acies.)
08-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

So I've decided to start to update the lang-merger program to read sub-directories and also merge any global and inventory hps files - note that I really only plan on detecting the OnGameStart routine and reading that - then appending the rest to the end of the file. I'm not entirely sure how necessary it will be to detect any collisions in function names (and possibly correct them) - I can write some regex and see if works for it though!
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2011, 02:46 PM by Apjjm.)
08-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

I can announce that my story will, if all goes well from now on, contain a custom monster(!). It will be very simple though but the change of enemy could perhaps stir up some scares among the community. It will be called "the cloaked man". No screens will be released, in order to retain the element of surprise.

08-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Find