Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What is your opinion on puzzles in Pigs?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Too easy, thery could haver add more complex ones for gameplay variety (negative)
74.36%
58 74.36%
It's okay, just like in Dark Descent (positive)
16.67%
13 16.67%
There were puzzles? (used walkthrough/indifferent)
8.97%
7 8.97%
Total 78 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think about puzzles in AAMFP?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: What do you think about puzzles in AAMFP?

Haven't quite finished the game yet, but so far I like the style of the "puzzles", if one might call them that. Pretty much for the same reason Alex Ros stated: It doesn't feel like a game anymore, thus it doesn't make me think like I'm in a game.
Frequent and difficult puzzles are, in the end, a very artificial element, similar to combat or precision jumping. A mere obstacle that you have to overcome with skill or intelligence, simply there to give you something to do and keep you entertained.

Think about it - in real life situations, how often do you come across a real "puzzle"? Say, the lights go out and you figure that a fuse must have blown in the cellar. Do you have to solve some intricate riddle now? No, you go down there and simply replace the damn thing.
Maybe you have a brief search because you can't remember where you put the cellar key, but you certainly won't have to combine a ton of random objects, pick the door lock and solve a mathematical puzzle in the fusebox itself to make it work again.

Riddles like that traditionally belong in games, but we are at a point where some games dare to try different approaches. Dropping classic elements like riddles, skill challenges, health and ressource management in favour of telling a story and trying to make the player forget he's playing a game. Personally, I'm welcoming this new direction as an interesting experiment, even though I think that AMFP could have done quite a few things better in order to truly pull off what they were aiming for. (For example, removing the immersion-breaking inventory is pointless if I'm still spending half the game in the journal menu instead.)
09-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you think about puzzles in AAMFP? - by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM