Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ?
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months, 2 Weeks ago RE: Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ?

(04-07-2014, 02:57 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Ok, the file is called installey and is located as I said at Documents\Amnesia\Main.

If it's not there and the game runs it must be using a different DRM method like Steam or something else. I'm not familiar with others apart from the FG Store and Steam versions.

OR

You installed an update (v1.2) meant for another copy of the game (for example the Amazon version) which could use another DRM method or even none.

Thanks ! Cool At least now I'm sure the file probably exists even in my retail copy. It might be that the 1.2 update I installed somehow deleted or moved the file - not sure how that could have happened, though. Huh Or I deleted the file by accident long ago and didn't notice. Either of those two possibilities might be true, if we go with the idea that my retail copy is supposed to have it in the Main folder. Undecided

Tell you what:
This evening, I'll try to install the vanilla (1.1) copy of the game on my other computer and see whether the file pops up. If not, we'll at least know the key was distributed differently. But I'm hoping it wasn't and that there's an electronic copy of it somewhere. I might try to look for said file on the installation DVD as well. Maybe they've put it there.

If not even that yields any results, I'll try to search for my copy's box again.

At the very worst, I'll just rebuy the game. It's a pity I don't have the type of bank account needed for a digital purchase at the moment - if I could, I'd just buy a new digital copy from the FG shop. So far, I've bought all FG games as physical copies, so at least I'd be doing them a favour with a digital purchase (since pretty much all of the income would go to them).

Thanks for all the help so far.

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
04-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ? - by Petike - 04-07-2014, 03:59 PM