Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia

Today I started playing Call of Cthulhu, and I have to say it's a really oppressive game and scary. The immersion is not as good as in Amnesia (surely Amnesia is one of the very special games I like), but CoC has also a very good atmosphere and story. It's the first time I try to play a horror-adventure-ego-shooter-mix.

@MyRedNeptune
Yes, I think that's the reason. When you play Penumbra first, you become inspired in horror and you will get much of expectations to all following games. Penumbra does a better job in immersion as previous mentioned the examination of objects where you can read the player thoughts was very important and I missed it in Amnesia. An other reason are the mementos, where the player reads "You must" instead of "I must".

The problem is who said "You" to the player? An other person? The computer? The game? You never should think it's a game - this is the contrary of immersion. When you are immersed, you don't think it's a game. To write his own mementos would cause a much better feeling of immersion. This is only one reason. A further reason is that in Amnesia is less to explore compared to Penumbra. It's made more easy, less challenging puzzles, less physics stuff, too empty environments etc. The complete cell area has only two puzzles: the hole under the bed and the acid lock. In Penumbra was much much more. An other reason is that horror in Penumbra feels more earnestly, not "forced" like the screen-colorizing effects and sounds. Penumbra was more deep and danger and the dogs never feels like computer game enemies you have to play with.

There are a lot of things Amnesia feels more like a game and that's breaking the immersion in my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM by Googolplex.)
08-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia - by Googolplex - 08-07-2013, 09:40 PM