Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Mac OS X Demo Now Available: Version 1.0.679 (Beta 2)
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Mac OS X Demo Now Available: Version 1.0.679 (Beta 2)

I am pleased to announce the initial Mac Beta demo release of Penumbra: Overture Episode 1.

Changes in 1.0.679
  • Flashlight now works correctly.
  • Game no longer locks up when streamed sounds start
  • Added overrides for Fragment and Vertex profiles (More detail in the readme installed with the game)
  • Added extra debugging to log what CG profiles are being used.
  • While in windowed mode and in the menu the "mouse" is now unlocked. (Turning of full screen mode can be done by editing the settings.cfg located in ~/Library/Preferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra Overture/Episode 1)
  • Upgraded to the Cg 1.5.0019 which hopefully will fix other graphics issues

The demo is build as a universal binary so it will work on Power PC and Intel Mac systems. You must have either an ATI or an Nvidia graphics card.

Currently the Mac demo is ONLY being released via Bit torrent. If you wish to help in distributing, just keep seeding it when you have finished downloading it. Once I get feedback and fix any new found bugs from this beta we will release the final demo and push it out to mirrors. Please DO NOT mirror this demo at this time.

Report any issues to this forum thread as I will be checking this thread regularly for feedback.

To install
  1. download the PenumbraDemo-1.0.679.dmg.
  2. Open the Disk Image by Double Clicking, if it doesn't auto open for you
  3. Run the Package installer
  4. Eject the disk Image
  5. Double Click PenumbraDemo from within the newly installed Penumbra Overture Episode 1 Demo

Tracker URL.
Demo Download (Bit Torrent)

Regards,
Edward Rudd

Known Issues
  • The game may not run on OS X 10.3 at all. Adventurous 10.3 users' feedback is welcome
  • There are some possible issues with shaders on systems, if the game says your system is not compatible, post your hpl.log file.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
06-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Website Find
Secutor Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Mac OS X Demo Now Available (Beta 1)

u guys are great Big Grin
06-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Find
Black Smurf Offline

Great news! But the link doesn't work (at least for me) - I just get a "Bad Gateway - The proxy server recieved an invalid response from an upstream server." message Sad
The linked url 'tracker.outoforder.cc' doesn't sound too promising in the first place...

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is the fear of the unknown."
-- H.P.Lovecraft
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2007, 10:18 AM by fonzi.)
06-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Find
Kallas Offline

Brillant job guys... thanks so much for bringing out a mac port... Big Grin and a universal binary too. Also where would you like us to post feedback?... The Mac:Technical support (presumably for the final release) forum isn't up.
06-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Find
Secutor Offline

okay i tried the demo and with high texture quality it runs fine.
the game looks great with very low shader quality until i go out into the snow storm.
than it looks ( testet with all shader qualities and different other settings ) very ehm strange Wink

shaders other than low quality inside the room
picture 1

outside, different shader qualities, and setting
didnt test all options but most Wink all times it looks like the attached pictures Sad
picture 2
picture 3
picture 4
picture 5

cant tell u how it runs after the storm because i don't find the right way Wink

im using a PowerMac G4 MDD with 2 x 1Ghz, 1,2GB Ram and a Radeon 9000 Pro with 64 MB v-ram

here's my hpl.log

edit: strange.. last night the pictures looked like the ones i posted
now, it looks like that and i found the right way. but the game frezzed when i moved down

i made some new pictures in each shader quality outside. inside it still looks fine with very low shaders, the black screen is from the crash Wink
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2007, 12:15 PM by OzzieBloke.)
06-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Find
Kallas Offline

Mac Issues

Ok well here is some feedback for the mac demo... firstly thanks so much for porting this, it really is a brilliant game (i have played on windows) you've all really gone above and beyond.

Ok so everything runs well, no random crashes/system meltdowns etc. My system is a 2.33GHz Intel core 2 duo, with 3GB of ram and a Radeon X1600 with 256MB v-ram.

The only issues that i can find are firstly a problem with the shadows. See the image below.

[Image: picture9wc4.th.jpg]

The picture below is the same scene with shadows turned completely off, however you can still see that the rear wall isn't there and neither is the torch/chain/lock/coat on the wall/map on the table so on so forth, some of the textures aren't appearing.

[Image: picture8ai5.th.jpg]

This is all i could find, good job on everything. Also apart from the shadows i had all the effects up at max.

Cheers.

By lowering the shader quality like Secutor said, i can make the various missing elements re-appear, and for the most part the back wall, although it pops in and out.
06-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Find
Secutor Offline

the crashes / freezes
the first one happens in the intro when i start a new game. i can skip it with escape so its okay. ( i miss the story but al least i can try the game Big Grin ) the second crash happens when i move down. there are some quiet voices and after them the game freezes ( ? or just nothing on my screen... i can still hear the wind but thats all )
i let it run for 2 minutes but nothing happend Sad

edit: fixing the freezes works Smile
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2007, 01:44 PM by OzzieBloke.)
06-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Find
Secutor Offline

finaly
i found the way down Big Grin
but its sill looking strange Sad
[attachment=282]
06-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Find
Kallas Offline

Try turning off shadows, thats what worked for me. Big Grin
06-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

Does anyone have an nvidia card? Seems like everyone here so far has an ATI. I guess I need to get my hands on an ATI PCIe card. As from the HPL log files I have gotten, there is like no descent detected support for shaders!. The *main* piece I'm looking for in log files i the "Checking Supported Profiles" So if people coud post with at LEAST that section along with what series mac and their video card.

BTW.. The tracker is backup.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
06-04-2007, 04:52 AM
Website Find