Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Work in progress Mobbed
MBchrono Offline

Threads: 5
Mobbed

Backstory:
Spoiler below!
Organized crime had a fascinating ring to it. Crack some skulls, make some money, it sounded like a good gig. They say there is no honor among theives. I learned that the hard way. After busting my ass for the last 6 years for these assholes, two bottom feeding lowlifes got the jump on me after pulling a job. They led me to a graveyard outside town. Looks like tonight I disappear...

About:
Spoiler below!
Mobbed is a first person, horror/adventure game running on the Amnesia (HPL2 Engine). The game engine makes it rather difficult to make a mod that does not visually look like Amnesia. Our goal with the mod is to create an Amnesia experience that has a unique feel to it. Our opening level is an eerie graveyard. We have made painstaking effort to put as much detail into this level as possible. It is the first thing you see when you start up the game, so we want to blow you away visually. Every inch of the map has been tweaked and reworked countless times. We think we have created one of the better looking outdoor areas for Amnesia.

Though set in modern times, the protagonist is thrown into a variety of locations ranging from prohibition era tunnels and passageways, to a 19th century home inhabited by a strange cult. We have seen plenty of castles and spooky houses in Amnesia. So the goal is to try something new, as well as stay with the formula that we know works.

As far as the horror aspect goes, this mod is not just throwing random jump scares at you just to scare you. Every scare is planned carefully and relevant to what you are doing and the overall story. We want to scare you, but we want to keep the scares grounded in reality. What I mean by that is, even though there are supernatural elements in the mod, we will not break the laws of physics to scare you. Atmosphere is more terrifying than jump scares.

Another important part of the mod is the story. While I have the story penned already, I am still working on how to implement it. Most likely it will be a bit heavy on the reading of notes. There are cut scenes and voice acting as well, but the best way to constantly move the story forward is though notes.

Screenshots:

Untextured Lighter -
Spoiler below!
[Image: lighter%20untextured.jpg]

Untextured Lighter In-Game -
Spoiler below!
[Image: zippo.jpg]

Graveyard:
Spoiler below!

[Image: Amnesia_2011-10-24_14-18-36-99.png]

Moddb:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mobbed

Check out the Moddb page for more screenshots and news. Just wanted to post here to get a bit more exposure. We are shooting for a release around Thanksgiving, but no promises.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011, 03:15 AM by MBchrono.)
10-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Mobbed

this looks very interesting! definitely one of the most original stories i've ever heard. really looking forward to this one Smile

Posting Freak
10-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I have got to admit... I'm pretty excited to see how things turn out with this =]
11-04-2011, 01:37 AM
Find
Rcj8993 Offline

Threads: 1

need a voice actor? maybe i can help im good with impressions, and ideas
11-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Find
MBchrono Offline

(11-04-2011, 02:35 AM)Rcj8993 Wrote: need a voice actor? maybe i can help im good with impressions, and ideas
Appreciate it, but most of the voice acting is done. I am debating on if I should use voices for internal dialog. If I decide to I will contact you.

Sadly, progress is slow during the week. I am in the Air Force and work quite a bit, so the majority of the work is done during the weekend. The mod is becoming a bigger project than I thought, with custom models and such, so I am unsure of the Thanksgiving release date. Who knows though.

Anyways, the zippo lighter is complete, other than the texture. Waiting for my buddy to get some time to finish it. It looks pretty good in game, and gives a unique flavor to Amnesia. Cool little side thing, if you run custom stories from our total conversion, you can play those stories with our assets. Such as the lighter.

Untextured finished zippo with no hands and no flame:
Spoiler below!
[Image: zippo.jpg]

Glad you guys are interested in the mod. Gives me that much more motivation to finish it.

11-04-2011, 03:22 AM
Website Find
Rcj8993 Offline

Threads: 1

well if i may give you an idea, for free, what about him having a companion for a little bit that he has to keep safe?
(make the game a bit harder, and interesting.)
like someone he saves or something
11-04-2011, 03:28 AM
Find
MBchrono Offline

That would probably require more power of scripting than their engine allows. It is a neat idea, but you cannot really program your own AI using the tools given. In fact performing basic programming functions can be difficult using the scripting engine. Not to mention the modeling and animating required to make it look decent.

I like the idea, just not really possible without access to the source code.

Err, guess I will ask before I go to bed. If anybody has modeling experience and thinks they can do a GOOD hand, we could use your talents. We were going to convert the Amnesia or Penumbra hand, but having an original model would look much better. Making organic objects is a bit out of our league model-wise, so any help would be appreciated.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011, 04:42 AM by MBchrono.)
11-04-2011, 04:30 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

not exactly sure what you're looking for since you kept it so vague, but i know the custom story library of alexandria has a hand that's been rigged and is able animateable (creating new words ftw).

Posting Freak
11-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Website Find
MBchrono Offline

Finished the lighter. Works great in game.

Spoiler below!
[Image: lighterrender.jpg]

11-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Website Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

Looks good so far, keep up the good work.
11-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Find