Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[WIP] Horror Demo (First Map)
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: [WIP] Horror Demo (First Map)

(11-22-2011, 10:47 PM)ThatCoolNinja Wrote: Update!
Read a tut on atmosphere and made it better I think.
Fixed a glitch where the guy would get stuck at a part.
Spent like 5 hours on adding stuff to the map that makes it look nicer.
Do you have a link/download? Maybe post a .zip in your post. "Add Attachment"
11-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

List of more things to do if you want to improve the visuals.

1. Use concaves, you can find them in static_objects where the mansion walls are.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558666...AF2BD7407/
The things just before the ceiling are concaves.

2. Use spotlights for windows, add gobos.
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...tutorial_2

3. Remove most of the blood decals and make the ones you leave bigger.
(when you are in the decal tool, mess around with the min/max size.

4. Add more stuff on the shelves, the candles don't really make sense..The shelves are made of wood, why do they have candles.

5. Put the banners higher, they look weird the way they are right now.

6. Flip the books around, it's just minor nitpicking but details can go a long way. This is how a book shelf is supposed to look like http://www.closedstacks.com/wp-content/u...-shelf.jpg
11-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Find
ThatCoolNinja Offline

Threads: 1

(11-22-2011, 11:33 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(11-22-2011, 10:47 PM)ThatCoolNinja Wrote: Update!
Read a tut on atmosphere and made it better I think.
Fixed a glitch where the guy would get stuck at a part.
Spent like 5 hours on adding stuff to the map that makes it look nicer.
Do you have a link/download? Maybe post a .zip in your post. "Add Attachment"
I update the link in the main post everytime I do an update.
(11-23-2011, 12:02 AM)Arvuti Wrote: List of more things to do if you want to improve the visuals.

1. Use concaves, you can find them in static_objects where the mansion walls are.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558666...AF2BD7407/
The things just before the ceiling are concaves.

2. Use spotlights for windows, add gobos.
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...tutorial_2

3. Remove most of the blood decals and make the ones you leave bigger.
(when you are in the decal tool, mess around with the min/max size.

4. Add more stuff on the shelves, the candles don't really make sense..The shelves are made of wood, why do they have candles.

5. Put the banners higher, they look weird the way they are right now.

6. Flip the books around, it's just minor nitpicking but details can go a long way. This is how a book shelf is supposed to look like http://www.closedstacks.com/wp-content/u...-shelf.jpg
Thanks for the tips I really appreciate it. I will definitely look into all of those things.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2011, 12:38 AM by ThatCoolNinja.)
11-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Find
A Tricky Carnie Offline

Threads: 15

EDIT: Ok, so here are my thoughts on this:
Spoiler below!

A bit too much blood, try cut it back a bit.

TOO MANY KEYS! Seriously I find too many key puzzles an insult to my intelligence, and too many keys in a custom story can make it dull.

Cheap Scares, thats my opinion, some may agree, some may not.

It has what I would call a made for PewDiePie feel, I got it in the beginning when the golden statue on the desk, but I dismissed it and gave you the benefit of the doubt, then I found this , and this.

Too many health/sanity potions in the beginning.

The Attic seemed incomplete to me, and after jumping off the edge of the map, I gave up.

I'd like to see more context, I don't know if you're planning to add notes, but do, give me a story as to WHY I'm in the situation I'm in (other than "This is an Amnesia custom story, so Amnesia type things will happen.")

Also, the title is incredibly bland and generic, if you want horror in the title, at least add more too it. I understand this is a work in progress, and may not be the final title.

Finally, If you're using mansionbase, textures, planes, etc., why use cellarbase doors? They felt out of place and didn't look good.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2011, 04:16 AM by A Tricky Carnie.)
11-23-2011, 03:45 AM
Find
ThatCoolNinja Offline

Threads: 1

(11-23-2011, 03:45 AM)A Tricky Carnie Wrote: EDIT: Ok, so here are my thoughts on this:
Spoiler below!

A bit too much blood, try cut it back a bit.

TOO MANY KEYS! Seriously I find too many key puzzles an insult to my intelligence, and too many keys in a custom story can make it dull.

Cheap Scares, thats my opinion, some may agree, some may not.

It has what I would call a made for PewDiePie feel, I got it in the beginning when the golden statue on the desk, but I dismissed it and gave you the benefit of the doubt, then I found this , and this.

Too many health/sanity potions in the beginning.

The Attic seemed incomplete to me, and after jumping off the edge of the map, I gave up.

I'd like to see more context, I don't know if you're planning to add notes, but do, give me a story as to WHY I'm in the situation I'm in (other than "This is an Amnesia custom story, so Amnesia type things will happen.")

Also, the title is incredibly bland and generic, if you want horror in the title, at least add more too it. I understand this is a work in progress, and may not be the final title.

Finally, If you're using mansionbase, textures, planes, etc., why use cellarbase doors? They felt out of place and didn't look good.
Thanks for the critique. The attic is 100% incomplete and is only there because I dont know how to do credits atm. I will be changing the name and I will be adding notes. I will look into changing the doors. Thanks for playing Smile
11-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Find