Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(12-09-2011, 07:57 AM)Cryaotic Wrote: I'm making a custom story say whaaaaaat.
This ought to be good. Any revelations on the story/theme?

12-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

(12-09-2011, 08:10 AM)Obliviator27 Wrote:
(12-09-2011, 07:57 AM)Cryaotic Wrote: I'm making a custom story say whaaaaaat.
This ought to be good. Any revelations on the story/theme?

Totally not giving out any info until later on - though definitely don't want to derail the thread so I demand more Khyrpa shots. Yep. More Khyrpa shots so I can have a new wallpaper.

12-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

*cough* removed *cough* what?

(you can still view the picture)
IMG - http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30cprtt&s=5

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012, 06:23 PM by Juby.)
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

Spoiler below!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2283]

:3

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2011, 03:25 PM by flamez3.)
12-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(12-09-2011, 03:18 PM)Juby Wrote: Although I am not much good at making levels, below is a decent enough screenshot of my FC mod. I'm a scripter mainly and I anticipate around 3000 lines of code just for the first level when it is done. All around I would venture that the entire mod would be at least 5000 lines.

IMG - http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vh3q50&s=5 [ made this despite my sickness Smile ]
The curtains cut into the wall I just noticed as I posted >.<
Not to be raining on your parade, but the signs of a "good scripter" means optimizing the script into using as few lines as possible. I used 2700 lines of script for "Library of Alexandria", but that's just because I'm not such a strong scripter :>

As for the screenshot I'm unsure what to say. The lighting looks bland, as if lit by a boxlight only. The building itself doesn't look intriguing enough for me to get the "Ah, I want to play this" feeling. I do like the door though.

Don't take this criticism personally. Everyone has different standards and I'm sure there are people which will like it Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

12-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

-Removed because it has been bothering me-

*mine wasn't a horror btw*

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM by Juby.)
12-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(12-09-2011, 03:24 PM)flamez3 Wrote:
Spoiler below!

ok, so the main issue i have with this is the billboards. you made i very common mistake (that even i've made a lot...) which is you have light streaming in on different sides and from different angles. when you see light ray's in real life, you don't see them facing all different ways, you see them all facing the same way since the sun is only shining one way. basically just angle all the lights so they're coming in at the same angle, and also don't have light coming in from the right and then have light coming in from the left some where else. other than that, it looks pretty good. maybe add some carpets or banners, also you seem to be missing particles and decals altogether. oh and one other odd thing i noticed... this looks oddly like the hub from abduction chapter 3, i'm sure this is just pure coincidence, but you still might want to change it around a little. overall, great work! it has a nice feel to it Smile

(12-09-2011, 07:57 AM)Cryaotic Wrote: So tempted to make that first one my wallpaper, it's so sexy.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 143icmg.png]

I'm making a custom story say whaaaaaat.
i'm just saying this now, this is extremely awkward judging something YOU made for once, but i'll carry on anyways Tongue to start it's the field of vision provided makes it a little hard to judge well, but from what i see it looks pretty good! can't really tell what is creating the light coming from behind, but it does give a very mysterious effect. i can't tell from the picture but if you haven't you should check off "cast shadow" on that light, it gives a really nice effect when there are a lot of objects in its way (which there obviously are). the shelves feel a little bland, they could use a lot more stuff on them like boxes, bread, bags, that kind of stuff. there also seems to be a severe lack of decals and particles, if you put even just a fog particle somewhere in there it would make this entire area look 3 times better. one other thing i noticed is there is a rug on the shelf, this is more of a technical problem from my experience, because if you get real up close you'll realize the rug doesn't actually completely fit on the shelves (or at least that's what i remember...) if anything they're just like 0.1 to big, but that can serve as a problem if you try pulling it off the shelf. overall very solid work! again, it's hard to really judge because of how little is shown, but it's still very good looking Smile

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 12:48 AM by Kman.)
12-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Website Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

Quote:definitely don't want to derail the thread so I demand more Khyrpa shots. Yep. More Khyrpa shots so I can have a new wallpaper.
I just traveled for a while around the milkyway, taking snapshots with my little camera. I guess those can be called "Khyrpa shots" (funny if you know finnish). These will derail the thread though.

I took this one when I was strolling on an comfortable asteroid, it was near this beautiful nebulae so the view was nice and colorful.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32826151/asteroidstroll.jpg

Then I found this desert planet with a bit too hot temperature.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32826151/neighbornebulae.jpg

I finally wandered inside the nebulae and instantly found one solar system with this great planet that actually had an atmosphere. Too bad it was a tiny bit too cold for a walk...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32826151/insidep...ebulae.jpg

Then to some actual criticism!
(12-08-2011, 11:35 PM)junkfood2121 Wrote: Sounds interesting! Your first image looks REALLY good! At first I was like, wait.. is this really amnesia? I'll post a few of the mod I'm working on ^^
First one: Meeeeeh... There aint really nothing in that pic, just a hallway with shiny windows. Shows you can use the editor and do lighting. Only thing I can say is, lift that light_dust_large.ps a little bit, it has to be placed correctly or it falls outside the billboards. Also remember to optimize the fade out distances!

Second one: Actually this exact same picture caught my eye in your story's thread. It has this action shot feel and it draws you in. Nothing wrong except if you start looking closer you see some rocks go through the circle thing and I can see that seam in the pillar ^^

Third one: Mmmm... Spot light from torch, good use of welders and decals. Again there actually is not much in there, but it looks good nevertheless. You could try adding something like a dim fog to give the place something more (alpha 0.5 - 0.9 and color same as the rooms light).

Quote:God damn how do replies work? Anyways this is cryaotic's:

Spoiler below!
[Image: 143icmg.png]
I'm making a custom story say whaaaaaat.
Can a screenshot from an storage-like area be nice? Anyways just keep on detailing stuff, move random stuff randomly without the grid and give the area some sneaky decals to break the floor pattern.
Decals are kind of weird so I suggest placing default one anywhere it goes normally, then tweaking and moving that how you want it. If you twist it around you can see how they work and then optimize to have less triangles in them. for example reduce the Y size to 0.01 so it doesn't "climb" up where you dont want it to.

Quote:This is flamez3's
Spoiler below!

Feels like there is a lot of empty space. It doesn't really look like there has been an collapsed pillar under the collapsed ceiling. And then you could add some color to it. It looks really sterile, like if you used only white colors in lighting.

That was a long post...

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 01:16 AM by Khyrpa.)
12-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Khypra, if you tell me those were actually made with HPL2, i will ejaculate on the spot.

Posting Freak
12-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Website Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

I'm working on a huge outdoor enviroment, any suggestions for night/dusk lighting?

Edit: My Skybox has a moon that I like alot. But a large scaled light spotlight is horrible in the HPL2. The shadows become very blocky.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 02:17 AM by Rapture.)
12-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Find