Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

The ice could be seethrough indeed... Thank you for the idea, I'll play with it.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Find
Daktoa Offline

Threads: 10

Maybe my graphics are low or something D:

And I just put the carpets on the ceiling because I wanted to have a different design on the ceiling, I was trying to give it a hotel feel and I didn't like any of the ceiling tiles.

I'll try to fix the lights and yeah, portraits would probably be good.
08-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(08-13-2014, 10:37 AM)Daktoa Wrote: Nightmare on Elm Street is overrated.

Here's another screenshot, I know I keep posting the same hallway, but I really like how this shot looks and it'll probably be the cover image for the custom story.

Spoiler below!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4615]

I like the carpets on the ceiling but you are missing some stuff.

Since the ceiling is made from something as luxurious as carpets, then I feel like we need more cloth in there! Curtains!
Get some curtains in there.

Also, the lighting need a little work. 2 lamps are not enough. Try a lamp on left side, then right side, then left side, then right side.. I hope you get the idea.

Finally I'm unsure what's in the end of the hallway, but if it's nothing specific, you should end it with a black fog. It will make it look more mysterious, and almost like it's never-ending.

Now go play! Remember! Details! More details!
(Remember details =/= mess. It's variety. Maybe one of the doors is just a liiiiitle bit open. Maybe there's a sign on one. Maybe something is hanging from the ceiling somewhere. Stuff like that.)

Trying is the first step to success.
08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(08-13-2014, 10:37 AM)Daktoa Wrote: Nightmare on Elm Street is overrated.

Read my signature and you will know what to do.
08-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(08-13-2014, 11:29 AM)The chaser Wrote: The ice could be seethrough indeed... Thank you for the idea, I'll play with it.

the ice should not be see-through, for two reasons: 1) large quantities of ice are actually translucent, not transparent, and 2) if you could see through the whole model, it would look messy and awkward in-game. you would be able to see the geometry surrounding it through the model, which for a model so large, would not look very good.

there are other ways of making it apparent that it's ice, such as particle effects and cold lighting.

[Image: signature-2.png]
08-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(08-13-2014, 05:21 PM)Streetboat Wrote:
(08-13-2014, 11:29 AM)The chaser Wrote: The ice could be seethrough indeed... Thank you for the idea, I'll play with it.

the ice should not be see-through, for two reasons: 1) large quantities of ice are actually translucent, not transparent, and 2) if you could see through the whole model, it would look messy and awkward in-game. you would be able to see the geometry surrounding it through the model, which for a model so large, would not look very good.

there are other ways of making it apparent that it's ice, such as particle effects and cold lighting.

Solution: Make some of it seethrough. Like pillars, that are smaller stuff. Or thin stuff.

Trying is the first step to success.
08-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(08-13-2014, 06:08 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote:
(08-13-2014, 05:21 PM)Streetboat Wrote:

Solution: Make some of it seethrough. Like pillars, that are smaller stuff. Or thin stuff.

Yeah, obviously the "seethrough" stuff would be minor decoration, not the whole level. But I think that a CubeMap will work wonders for this.

Ye' right in that, Streetboat. With seethrough I actually meant translucent, it's just me that messes up vocabulary.

Thank you for your suggestions, gonna try 'em Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
08-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

From my Amnesia - "Return" project

Thanks to Traggey (I assume, correct me if I'm wrong) for the new tree models!
08-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Gotta say, there's lots of things that can be improved:

The trees look awful, don't overstretch them. About the grass on the ceiling: Doesn't look well. You either make it tiled or it's not going to look well. Have you ever seen leaves so big? Unless you've been into the amazon jungle, there aren't leaves so big.

The sky looks way too streched, and the clouds just don't take a good perspective. Try another skybox, this one is pretty bad.

The door to enter the house: It's a pretty boring entrance, don't you think? I'd say put some wood stairs and a level door. It looks very strange this way.

PD: Please I don't want to sound rude, I'm just being honest. I'm sorry if I have offended you in any way.

PD 2: That spinning avatar is making me nervous...

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2014, 09:08 PM by The chaser.)
08-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Find
victorkim890(KimmyChimmy) Offline

Threads: 1

(08-14-2014, 08:35 PM)Lazzer. Wrote: From my Amnesia - "Return" project

Thanks to Traggey (I assume, correct me if I'm wrong) for the new tree models!

where do you download free skyboxes

08-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Find