Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This can't be good for the game..
Vipes Offline

Threads: 11
This can't be good for the game..

On some materials that don't have a Specular, I just use the same picture that was with NMap.

I think you're not supposed to, yet it looks nice, almost F.E.A.R. ish.

But there's gotta be a downside to it. What is it?

[Image: exampled.png]

The Picture shows me turning Prenumbra Black Plauge material, to Amnesia material. There was no Specular map for it, so I put the NMap as a Specular.

Now tell me that doesn't look like FEAR.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2011, 02:33 AM by Vipes.)
12-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: This can't be good for the game..

Never played F.E.A.R. but using a NMap for a specular shouldn't cause an issue. The brighter the bitmap is, the shinier the texture is. Doesn't really matter what color it is. It may not look as realistic ( to be honest it looks metallic, whereas I'd expect that tile to be ceramic) because now every single blemish on the ground is highly accented with the specular, but hey it gets the job done. I personally think powerful specular maps like this are best use to help simulate tarnish or on surfaces you'd expect to be covered in water. Other than that you honestly don't even really need them.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2011, 11:07 PM by palistov.)
12-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: This can't be good for the game..

I normally put the image that i used for diffuse as the specular map also. Tends to work fine.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
12-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Website Find