Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

For those with slowdown near enemies, look here!
Blanel Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: For those with slowdown near dogs, look here!

Still extremly sluggish. Loaded up Ironshaft A but got killed so I loaded Ironshaft B, looked around a bit in the first room and gave up realising it was like watching photographs pass.
08-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

This is very strange....
Cause I get 17 ms for the Entity update, but none of the entites very long time to update so all entities combined do not add up to 17ms... so it must be the text that makes it so slow. And since you said the new exe slows down the maps, that seems true.

I can do another version of test exe but I want to have some feedback from other people aswell. Please check in on monday and I will make an updated test.
08-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Updated with new exe that does not log so much and should give better timing values. Please post hpl_update again.
08-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Find
Blanel Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: For those with slowdown near enemies, look here!

Slightly more sluggish than normalplay, but so close that it was still playable. (well, untill the real bad slowdownplace). I started Ironshafts A. It was ok until the sprint at the end where it got real sluggish. Upon loading Ironshaft B, the game got truely sluggish and was unplayable. This is what usually happens and this log should therefor be quite accurate. Thanks for caring so much for us gamers ^^
08-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: For those with slowdown near enemies, look here!

Just want to point out that you must quit the game exactly when it is sluggish, or else the log will not report anything useful.

Blanel:
Chekcing the log, there is at most 11ms seconds to do the scene updating (the biggest stealer being the physics). This should no amount to some major slowdown since it leaves almost 400ms for the renderering, which should be plenty for a couple of frames. Are you sure this is from when the game is the slowest?
08-15-2007, 05:48 AM
Find
Blanel Offline

Yes. But on the otherhand, the game is sluggish from the start of the map at once. Maybe it would be more useful to load a map that runs fine and then when the game goes slow quit? I've discussed my problem with Ironshafts B in another thread ( Memory Leak [Not Solved] (Extreme FPS drop, gets worse) ) and luis has been in contact with me about it. It probably has nothing to do with the dogs on the level then considering you don't se anything in your log. I usually get slowdowns near dogs too though, very similar to the slowdown that occurs instantaniously at the startup of Ironshafts B.

I am starting to wonder if I should just realize that I won't be able to play through the game on this machine, and maybe wait a year for my new machine... But that feels like the worst solution by far Sad

Hope we can figure out what in heck is wrong with this game or my machine. Smile
08-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Checking the old thread and come up with a new test.

Is there still a slowdown at the digging machine? If so, could you go to that map and save a version of "hpl_update" when all is good and then start the game again and get a version of "hpl_update" when the slowness starts. That way I can compare and see there the performance hit is.

It is imporant that this is made on the same map and under as similar conditions as possible (apart from the slowdown that is).
08-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

is this for windows and/or linux?
08-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Find
banj007 Offline

Threads: 10

Well the game always ran nice for me... anyway i can help in spite of that?
----edit----
heres my specs so you can see someone who ran the game smoothly
CPU - Pentium4 3.6GHz
512 mg ram
Nvidia 3d effects 5500
thats all i can think off right now Smile

just tell me if i can do anything else
08-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Website Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

all runs well, but the spiders nest/first worm encounter tends to get a little jerky or even freeze up my computer; right as I pull the lever and run back to through the door.
otherwise, all is well.
08-16-2007, 02:44 AM
Find