Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

In the light or in the dark? What's your play choice?
JWGinator96 Offline

Threads: 3
In the light or in the dark? What's your play choice?

For the majority of my Amnesia journey I have been playing the game in the light during the day. Tonight however I thought I'd try playing the game like Frictional recommended... in the dark. So I played through the game for an hour or two and I have to say that there is a massive difference when playing Amnesia at night in the dark than during the day, it is also a lot scarier too.

So how do/did you play Amnesia, in the dark or during the day? Also do/did you find it scarier at night?
01-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30
RE: In the light or in the dark? What's your play choice?

Only played custom stories and my own map. It wasn't that important for me, everything scares me anyway (falling boxes, footsteps etc) but night was a little scarier yes.

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
01-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

Well, seen how I can't finish the main story in light; doing it in the dark would not work for me at all D:

01-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Find
Carrna Offline

Threads: 0

In the dark of course. Cool It's not nearly as scary during daytime when there's bright, birds are singing and kids playing outside etc. hahah. At least I feel like losing something essential when watching horror movies or playing horror games in well lit or noisy places.

I don't also like playing them with someone else, since usually that someone seems to forget how to be quiet. The atmosphere is constantly breaking if a friend keeps whispering "What's gonna happen next? Where is the monster? Is it there where you're going? Well is it??! Tell meee!"

~
01-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Website Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

Darkness is scary ;_;

Lightness is happy Big Grin

But I usually play at dark.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
01-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

Threads: 1

Why, the dark, obviously. I see no point in playing Amnesia in the light.

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
01-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

I have never played at night. Nor would I ever like to. O_o
Like a few others have already said, it was terrifying enough with a.)someone watching me play b.)the lights on c.)during the day time. :>

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
01-14-2012, 03:34 AM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

Fear is still Fear, light or dark... but what one must know is Fear may be amplified.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
01-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I played the entire main game in the dark, the majority of it was at night, but other times i just shut the blinds and turned out all my lights. And yes, i think it does make a big difference. Though i don't really do it too much anymore unless a custom story looks REEEEALLY good, simply because when a story isn't immersive, trying to immerse yourself is pointless.

Posting Freak
01-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Every horror game should be played in the dark. A horror game is not the same in the light and shouldn't even be PLAYED during the day or in light. =P It's wasting away the experience!

I play every horror game in the dark. I remember when I first got Dead Space 1, I placed a blanket over my windows so my room was pitch black all around me. Best experience! I did the same with Doom 3 and Fatal Frame. I don't think I've ever played a horror game in the light. Love it.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2012, 04:42 AM by Statyk.)
01-14-2012, 04:42 AM
Find