Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix the Model Editor
Sel Offline

Threads: 10
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Fix the Model Editor

Please fix this.

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-11983.html

This issue has been reported by multiple people with no apparent fix, and until it's rectified it's literally impossible to create custom entity models.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012, 03:32 AM by Sel.)
02-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Fix the Model Editor

If you are working with custom models then this is regular. You need to export the model with the appropriate plug-in and program like Blender. Also, you need to make sure the normals are 1 and that you have created all the .mat files for every texture. Sometimes, the .dae needs to be edited to reasign the textures.

Check the log files for more details...
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012, 03:06 PM by plutomaniac.)
02-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Find
Sel Offline

(02-01-2012, 03:05 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: If you are working with custom models then this is regular. You need to export the model with the appropriate plug-in and program like Blender. Also, you need to make sure the normals are 1 and that you have created all the .mat files for every texture. Sometimes, the .dae needs to be edited to reasign the textures.

Check the log files for more details...

I'm not sure if you read the thread or not, this has nothing to do with textures or modeling packages. The issue is strictly with the model editor scaling up and rotating everything it imports (apparently regardless of export options, system units, etc), while the model viewer, and level editor read the files perfectly.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012, 03:54 PM by Sel.)
02-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

It's the same basic thing. You need to specify the sizes by creating the .ent file. These things happen with custom models. The editor will not be fixed is my guess since it was not made for custom models etc...

There are many problems with custom models and you have to find ways to fix them. This has to do mostly with the export process and options.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012, 05:35 PM by plutomaniac.)
02-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Find
Sel Offline

(02-01-2012, 05:31 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: It's the same basic thing. You need to specify the sizes by creating the .ent file.

I'd love to take the easy way out and ignore the program's lack of ability to read scaling information properly, but the ability to dictate size in the program doesn't allow enough decimal points to scale it by a factor of 0.0254, so no, that doesn't help either.

(02-01-2012, 05:31 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: These things happen with custom models. The editor will not be fixed is my guess since it was not made for custom models etc...

I'm sorry, but, what?

Quote:The Model Editor is our own application to create entities. An entity (saved in a .ent file) is composed of a mesh and a set of physical properties, bodies, and optionally joints and sub-entities. It can also contain animations for an animated entity, such as NPC's. Also worth noting is that an entity must be set up with a user defined type.

That's exactly what it's for, what are you on?

(02-01-2012, 05:31 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: There are many problems with custom models and you have to find ways to fix them. This has to do mostly with the export process and options.

Please, tell me how making the models more correct than correct solves the issues with this program.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM by Sel.)
02-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

You know, i've never seen that issue with Blender. I too would assert this isn't an issue with the model editor, especially since after trial and error with messing around with the 3d modeller settings people eventually manage to get things to work. I can't help you with your issue since i don't own 3DS Max, but i can recommend to export your model to .obj and import it into Blender if your project doesn't have any animations. Note, though, if you do import it into Blender and don't see the object, you might want to zoom out and see if it's because the object is too big, since 3DS Max models tend to be huge in Blender (which implies 3DS Max has huge default measurements).

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM by Your Computer.)
02-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Website Find
Sel Offline

(02-01-2012, 07:25 PM)Your Computer Wrote: You know, i've never seen that issue with Blender. I too would assert this isn't an issue with the model editor, especially since after trial and error with messing around with the 3d modeller settings people eventually manage to get things to work. I can't help you with your issue since i don't own 3DS Max, but i can recommend to export your model to .obj and import it into Blender if your project doesn't have any animations. Note, though, if you do import it into Blender and don't see the object, you might want to zoom out and see if it's because the object is too big, since 3DS Max models tend to be huge in Blender (which implies 3DS Max has huge default measurements).

The issue is not with max's system units (which are inches, and what blender, and the model editor appear to be using), the issue is with the model editor not reading the scaling information in the DAE, which is set on export.

[Image: units.png]

I'm not sure how much more I can stress this. The issue lies with the model editor not reading the scale information in the DAE.
02-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Provide a .dae file with the issue. You can't expect the devs to go out and purchase 3DS Max when Maya and Blender (what the devs have used for the models of Amnesia itself) work fine for them. And have you tried changing the units of 3DS Max itself, not the ones specified in the export settings?

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
02-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Website Find
Sel Offline

(02-01-2012, 08:26 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Provide a .dae file with the issue. You can't expect the devs to go out and purchase 3DS Max when Maya and Blender (what the devs have used for the models of Amnesia itself) work fine for them. And have you tried changing the units of 3DS Max itself, not the ones specified in the export settings?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3332789/Amnesia/c_doorframe.DAE

Opens fine in model viewer, is overscaled & rotated in editor.

I'm not entirely sure whether or not system units affects the issue or not, but they shouldn't really be relevant anyway once the file has been exported and set to meters in the DAE file. (hence the <unit meter="1.0"/>
in the DAE file)
02-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(02-01-2012, 06:21 PM)Sel Wrote: what are you on?

Interesting...way to go... Exclamation
02-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Find