Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

(02-23-2012, 05:24 PM)Arvuti Wrote: Oh look, another quality post from googolplex.
Thanks.

02-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Find
TheLittleGarfield Offline

Threads: 2

(02-23-2012, 04:24 AM)dph314 Wrote: And why is it being set in the same universe? I mean, I think that's great and all, but it's 60 years later, and doesn't have anything to do with TDD's story right? Is there something to having it in the same universe if the plot is completely different and there's no connection to the first one?

Why not? What about Lovecraft's universe? Or Portal being set in Half Life's?

Meh...
02-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Find
SquigPie Offline

Threads: 0

(02-23-2012, 05:24 PM)Arvuti Wrote:
(02-23-2012, 05:17 PM)Googolplex Wrote: A further problem what's coming up is that I fear the next Amnesia will be only for Steam.
Because Dear Esther is only for Steam, it seems to be a used platform by the Dear Esther developers.
I swear, I never buy a game what needs Steam to run. I always wants an offline installer and no account for lifetime connected to it.
I hope, we can buy A Machine For Pigs in ordinary Frictional Games Store, without Steam obligation or DRM crap!
Oh look, another quality post from googolplex.
Sorry to break it to you, but there wasn't really anything wrong with that post.

I don't have a problem with Steam, but there are many arguments against it, and most of them are legitimate.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM by SquigPie.)
02-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Find
TheGrandHero Offline

(02-23-2012, 05:17 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Because Dear Esther is only for Steam, it seems to be a used platform by the Dear Esther developers.
They used it because Dear Esther runs on Valve's Source Engine.
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Changing the gameplay shocked me. The gameplay of Frictionals Penumbra & Amnesia are very user-friendly and involving. You don't need a keyboard full of keys to feel familiar with the game, you simply need W,A,S,D, Space, Mouse and crawl button.
You really felt like to be in the game.
And this excellent kind of gameplay is connected to Frictional - I would not change that. Maybe add some new features, but not cut some things off. Amnesia shouldn't be a casual game for new visitors. When they begin to go this way, they would be no longer unique. Fact is, that you have to feel it's a game by Frictional, only this games have something special in it, it's own charme. When you feel it's not from Frictional, the game could be a good horror game, but not a game that takes place in this niche of the genre.
And to work only 10 months on this title, seems that the devs make a very short game, Dear Esther has aduration of 1-2 hours, the first Amnesia had about 8 hours, I really would like to see more varied locations, more rooms, longer story telling, more puzzles, more immersion, atmosphere and horror in the next title to come up to 15 or 20 hours of play. How short will the game be?

Not only seeing all negative, but Frictional is the best developer I've seen special to design horror games and when they get changed by an other, it couldn't be a game in this franchise, only an other horror game, but no game similar to Penumbra & first Amnesia. This is what never should be changed, this are core elements of this games and why they're so good and successful.

Perhaps, the Dear Esther devs did a great job, but this game will lose the unique charme what is a mark for the franchise.

02-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

Holy crap! The site's been updated again! With a new picture aswell! And labels to all the pictures! And a story, too! [Image: chapel_1.jpg]

02-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Find
dph314 Offline

Indeed. Definitely sounds creepy. Losing months of your life is quite a scary thought, when you think about it. I'd be scared of being in a coma for a few months, let alone waking up to find I've been functioning the entire time building a gigantic machine out of malicious intent and not remembering a minute of it. Way to top yourselves again Frictional Smile. Love the new plot.
02-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

I ask to release the game when it's ready, not to drill up development to a short time to release it when halloween is. There is no reason to release it this year. Please work fine, make the game longer, free of bugs, implement all your ideas, don't say it must be ready in november this year.
It's the quality of the game what is important, not how short the development time is.
Please do all fine-tuning, and release it when the game is as it should be, don't cut off great stuff, we all have time to wait for it.
02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Find
Patacorow Offline

Threads: 11

Guys... Frictional added another unannounced project to their game page... Perhaps this is the game with the emotion triggering thingamajig, that FG mentioned a while back? 'cause Amnesia didn't really touch me, and it's unlikely its' sequel will.

(still made me stay awake for 2 weeks.)

http://www.frictionalgames.com/site/games
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM by Patacorow.)
02-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

That must be that "Depths" game or whatever, that we got concept art for, too!

02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Find