Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

(03-01-2012, 03:36 AM)Kein Wrote: Lee
I never said or act in a way of any of your implications trying to imply. You are making things up on your way trying to support you point and position and moved from the subj to the personalities. This is a weak and cheap tactic. Shame.

As for the game - how much interactivity you have seen in visual novels? The only interactivity there is a dialogue choice yet they do counts as a games. See, this is a problem, it seems that you don't understand the concept of DE, you can't see that you have a choice - choice of exploration. By exploration. This is the reason why people don't like the game - they don't understand it, they don't accept it. You and other member act like an arrogant kids, making a point and implying the fact that developers didn't develop their concept in new storytelling, but rather pretending they did, like made a cheap advertisement. How can I take you seriously then (no offense, just being honest)?
But it does not matter. Let's back to the main point. I ask again - how is the fact that TCR working on Amnesia sequel will make it bad automatically? I want argumentative answer, not just "because I didn't like DE and game was shit".
I'm pretty sure the topic of conversation was personality. You and SquigPie were getting a little snippy so I decided to clarify who got snippy first.

Don't pretend that the Dead Space comment wasn't an expression of your unfounded belief that he does not understand it. It's something I've experienced on far too many occasions with DE fans already.

I've never seen a sane person call a visual novel a game. It is a visual novel, as in a piece of text with visuals to go along with it. That is a perfect classification for visual novel: visual novel. I've heard testimony that visual novels have choices to make on occasion, but this is little more than what happens in a regular novel in the choose-your-own-adventure vein, but with imagery applied.

I fully understand that you have a choice to look at more things than are on the rail you go down, but this is hardly exploration. There is little reward for going off the path apart from more snippets of text and pretty pictures, and there's no feeling of being special for having "explored," since every branch off is so obvious. Just about everything that might be interesting to inspect up close, such as the beached boats or some prettier parts of the cave, is kept away from you by invisible walls. Hell, by the time you get in the caves, there are almost zero monorail stops because you're in a fucking cave. Going off the path has no effect on

They didn't develop a new form of storytelling at all, either. They devolved into an older form of storytelling that gaming had moved on from. The story itself is much better than what almost all games have tried, but the storytelling is also much more shallow than what almost all games have tried. I like books, but I don't like a book that masquerades as a game because the movement around a 3D environment is a completely unnecessary addition that reeks of unrealized potential. I love DE's writing, but that doesn't excuse the fact that you have to walk through a static environment for minutes at a time to, essentially, turn a page.

I never said that A Machine for Pigs will be bad automatically, but rather that I would be very surprised if it's anywhere near the quality of The Dark Descent. If you think my entire argument against Dear Esther and other thechineseroom titles amounts to "because I didn't like DE and game was shit," then you might have a problem understanding my points, but generally I'm apprehensive because none of their titles have had quality or scope anywhere near as high as any Frictional Game. They haven't made a game that features puzzles, stealth, horror, resource management, or many other things, and I have no idea how such an inexperienced developer will be able to cope with the tremendous weight of an Amnesia title, of all possible things, on their shoulders.

Of course it can be the next gaming messiah, as can any game coming out soon, but my hopes for it will not cloud my expectations. It's best to have low expectations about everything, though, so as to never be disappointed. It was quite nice to find out, for example, that Jason Rohrer, the guy who made fucking Passage, could make something as mesmerizing as Inside a Star-filled Sky. That's what I want to happen with thechineseroom, and I'll reserve my judgement of A Machine for Pigs until I actually play it. I'm just filled with realistic doubt.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
03-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Website Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

"A Machine For Pigs" sounds so infantile...
03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(03-01-2012, 08:59 PM)jfcwilson Wrote:
Quote:omg you fat faggets the arg is over and portal 3 is coming out ok we get
it stfu valve give me half life 3 omg seruisly valve stop makin amnesia
alredy
I being both fat and a faggot, I don't see the need for such hystrionics.
Seconded. It's obviously meant to be fake, but... there's no joke or even humor!

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2012, 10:03 PM by Sexbad.)
03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Website Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

It'll seem like a better title once we see the evil behind this machine, and what exactly is meant by "pigs"...
03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Find
Tapetenmetzger Offline

Actually I don't want to know what the title means yet.
I want to find out by playing the game.
03-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(03-01-2012, 04:21 PM)Sebatiger Wrote: Guys for the love of god stop posting in this thread, this was for the ARG not for speculation...
[Image: eb6.jpg?1307463786]

Posting Freak
03-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Website Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

(03-01-2012, 06:54 PM)Dewi Wrote: I don't think that can be a human body, so I guess they really mean pigs.
yeah the first image did look like a body. maybe it's for both?

Think A Little, Change A Lot
03-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Find
TheGrandHero Offline

(03-01-2012, 06:34 PM)Arvuti Wrote:
(03-01-2012, 06:31 PM)floidas23 Wrote: New picture has been added in thechineeseroom website:
[Image: tJit3.jpg]
looks like a friendly place.
It looks like a nice place to work. I wonder if they're taking applications. I bet they have good benefits, too.

(03-01-2012, 07:44 PM)J3M777 Wrote: omg you fat faggets the arg is over and portal 3 is coming out ok we get it stfu valve give me half life 3 omg seruisly valve stop makin amnesia alredy
The ARG being discussed was the recent NextFrictionGames.com ARG, not the Portal 2 ARG from last year.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2012, 01:28 AM by TheGrandHero.)
03-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Lee
Spoiler below!

Quote:I've never seen a sane person call a visual novel a game.
Quote: It's something I've experienced on far too many occasions with DE fans already.
Sorry, stopped reading right here. Now things more clearer to me.
There is only two reason why you participate in this convo: you either support and share the position and point of view of another user I was talking to or you just arguing for the sake or arguing, to "put someone's on his place", to "show him". Since you implied you it is not first then I assume it is the second and you are just bored, resident forum troll (especially consider how you avoid the spoiler tags to hide conversation from others, trying to drag someone's else attention to this madness and support you, because you are right; funny how no one bothered, eh?)

Conversation over then.

P.S. "DE fans", eh. You probably never heard of "The Graveyard" and "The Path". Too bad they already gathered audience and respect for their brave new concept (both, especially first, quite similar to DE conceptually) so no one would dare to say those don't deserve to be called games (without looking stupid... oh wait.).
(03-01-2012, 06:52 PM)Googolplex Wrote: This really looks good.

But the body looks like more a pig than a human.

Well, because it is a pig's body. Showing off a human's one would be a bit spoielrish, no, they want us theorize and guess if humans will be involved until the release.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2012, 04:47 AM by Kein.)
03-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Just add Sebatiger to your ignore list if you're as tired of his whining as I am.

On a thread-related note, I love that new pic. And as for speculation that the machine will be for both humans and pigs, I have a feeling thechineseroom and FG can come up with something more original and more terrifying than that.

03-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Find