Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16
RE: AAMFP - lantern or flashlight?

I really hope they have matches that are handheld: a light source that only lasts a few seconds before going out? FUCK YEAH! Um, I mean; FUCK NO! (Which is a good thing in horror, right?)
I told my friend that they'd be adding new light sources, and well, here's his response; "wow! you know what they should do? they should have matches that you can collect and USE to light OTHER things! like candles or a fire! pretty smart, eh?"

I facepalmed so hard I nearly broke my nose.
08-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Find
HateSolstice Offline

Threads: 0

(08-04-2012, 07:13 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(08-04-2012, 06:22 PM)HateSolstice Wrote: I want them to reduce the usefulness of the eye-adjustment for the dark/shadowy areas. When you can finish the entire game without ever using a light source because you can see just as well with a blue-tint to everything, it just takes away from the fear.

I also want to see light sources cast much better shadows than they did before. Having moving, jumping shadows as your lantern/torch joggles around from your movement and flickering flames would be so much better for immersion.
But that's what happens in real life. Maybe not a blue tint, but if you spend a lot of time in the dark eventually your vision adjusts and you can see. Also, how can you say it takes away the fear? It's not like it becomes bright, it is still difficult to see and it can be very unnerving.
Your eyes only adjust so much, and only in low-light situations. If you're in a completely pitch-black room, with zero light of any kind(even a tiny little LED light that gives off virtually no radiance), your eyes wont suddenly be able to adjust and see everything. You'll be lucky to see the outlines of large objects. Then again, there are people with amazing eyesight(mine sucks, I have astigmatism), so there is always that freak of nature.

I say it takes away from the fear because, as I said, you can basically see everything you need to see. If a monster pops up, you'll still see it. Unless you play with your gamma and contrast so damn low that even normal light situations are really dim.

Personally, I'd like to also see light sources actually make dark areas darker. For example, if you shine a light at something, the depth of the shadow in the areas where no light is cast will darken in contrast. Another way of thinking of this(and I don't really suggest trying it out) is looking right at a light and see how everything in the periphery darkens(as well as blurs out of focus).

These are just personal feelings. Agree or disagree, that's fine. I just really like the concept of light/dark play, and want to see it expanded upon further.
08-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Well I might be wrong, but it felt like the monsters in amnesia even had a special shader on them that made them easier to see in the dark...or maybe the lighting was different on them or whatever, my point is that I can't remember a point in the game were the monster was completely invisible because of the darkness. And I'm sure that was intentional on Frictionals side, so maybe they tested the game with complete darkness and found problems with that? Maybe the player died too often when he couldn't see the monster approaching and that took away the fear? Undecided

Still, I like the idea with the darkening of shadows while you're looking at a light. Not sure how that would be possible but it sounds like a neat idea. (maybe some sort of post processing...)

Quote: Well... not really no.

I was thinking the lantern would be rectangular in shape and it has this oval or circle convex lens on the front.
Like this?
[Image: louwers0210-3.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012, 10:09 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(08-04-2012, 10:09 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Well I might be wrong, but it felt like the monsters in amnesia even had a special shader on them that made them easier to see in the dark...or maybe the lighting was different on them or whatever, my point is that I can't remember a point in the game were the monster was completely invisible because of the darkness. And I'm sure that was intentional on Frictionals side, so maybe they tested the game with complete darkness and found problems with that? Maybe the player died too often when he couldn't see the monster approaching and that took away the fear? Undecided

Still, I like the idea with the darkening of shadows while you're looking at a light. Not sure how that would be possible but it sounds like a neat idea. (maybe some sort of post processing...)
That's actually exactly what went on, read about this in an article about the monsters.

There were problems with not being able to see them in the dark so they created a special shader for them.
08-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(08-04-2012, 10:12 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(08-04-2012, 10:09 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Well I might be wrong, but it felt like the monsters in amnesia even had a special shader on them that made them easier to see in the dark...or maybe the lighting was different on them or whatever, my point is that I can't remember a point in the game were the monster was completely invisible because of the darkness. And I'm sure that was intentional on Frictionals side, so maybe they tested the game with complete darkness and found problems with that? Maybe the player died too often when he couldn't see the monster approaching and that took away the fear? Undecided

That's actually exactly what went on, read about this in an article about the monsters.

There were problems with not being able to see them in the dark so they created a special shader for them.
Here's the solution; Get rid of all the idiot gamers!
-Much later-
"Oh yeah! Can't wait to play A Machine for Pigs!"
*Installation interrupted*
"Wait what?! Okay, there's a message. "Sorry but due to our newest implication, you are unable to download this game. Love, FG"
-A few seconds later on the Forums-
*Finished posting*
(The post): So yeah, pretty much all of Frictional Games are assholes.
(Most of the internet): No doubt.

And that's how Equestria was made!
08-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

(08-04-2012, 10:29 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: And that's how Equestria was made!
Wh-Huh?

It's so much funnier in the show than it is here...

But actually, I would like to see multiple light sources, like people have said that FG confirmed, although I might be thinking something else. I was thinking something like Penumbra, that you had a Glowstick and a Flashlight, except make them something else. And to prevent people from using one thing exclusively, like the Glowstick was, make them so they run out faster, so the player will be forced to use the other one every once an a while

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012, 10:49 PM by RawkBandMan.)
08-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(08-04-2012, 10:47 PM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote:
(08-04-2012, 10:29 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: And that's how Equestria was made!
It's so much funnier in the show than it is here...
We ruined 20% cooler, didn't we?
We overused it!

Damn us! Damn us all to Hell!

But yeah I do agree about the multiple lighting sources having balance, but with Amnesia we had enough fuel as long as we used it wisely. Adding a variety of lights might make the game too easy, or too annoying (constantly searching for different sources of fuel and whatnot).
08-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

I'd buy a shirt like that any day.. preferably without the "Development Team" part.

08-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(08-04-2012, 06:24 PM)HateSolstice Wrote: Yeah, instead of saying "Development Team", it needs to say "Deranged Lunatic".

I'd buy that.
You probably don't care, but that comment made my day in so many wondrous ways.
08-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

Quote: Well... not really no.

I was thinking the lantern would be rectangular in shape and it has this oval or circle convex lens on the front.
Like this?
[Image: louwers0210-3.jpg]
Sort of... Just less Fancy stuff.

I'll draw a sketch later.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
08-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Find