Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Piacesi Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Improving monsters - machine for pigs

I play more amnesia and i see now. In all the locations you are and the monster see you, the music (scariest music if the monster see and go to kill you) begin, but a hope to the frictional take it off, to a good scare and surprise i hope to take it off for that : if the monster see you the music begin if you see or not the monster)_ taking it off and simply put the music if you see the monster and the monster see you...

i like show ideas to improve the reactions of the amnesia.

show yours ideas! let's improve and help the frictional.
10-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(10-24-2012, 01:47 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Don't forget: Frictional do not want to kill the player. Or when they do, they only do it very, very rarely and in a situation where it creates maximum impact. It sounds strange, but it makes sense when you think about it. As soon as the player dies, that wonderful arc of fear and tension is suddenly released. When used at the perfect moment it can be like the dramatic climax of a carefully orchestrated symphony, but there will always be a sense of relief following.
It reminds you that its just a game, because while the monster is hunting you, you can convince yourself that you're really in danger. But when it really hits you in the face and kills you, your brain can't help but realize afterwards "hey, wait a second - this doesn't hurt at all! Guess I was wrong to be scared." And I don't think that in the end it matters much how smart the monster acted to achieve that result Wink

I think an actual smart AI only makes sense when you're in some sort of competition against it. You definitely want challenging, clever opponents in a shooter and you want stealth games to be difficult due to smart guards (to a certain degree, as i mentioned earlier Wink ). But in a horror game what matters most is facade, atmosphere, make-believe not the actual game mechanics. You're not supposed to see a horror game as a challenge or competition.
So it will be more than enough - and probably more effective - if the horror game suceeds at making you believe the monsters are smart. So the goal of the AI is not to actually use clever ways to kill the player ('cuz we don't want him to die, we want to torture him), but to avoid obvious immersion-breaking AI glitches and somehow make it feel like there's more to the monsters than there really is.
And what is sad is that we never see any scars... We only see the bloody claws on our screen. I would be terrified if a murderer had me in a corner, and then stabbed, while i see the blood coming out, and the blood on his knife

Trying is the first step to success.
10-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

The music can actually work against the player sometimes in terms of "scares", and this is proven by studies of human psyche:

Play the music without there actually being a monster. The player will freak out nonetheless. This shouldn't be done often though.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Find
Piacesi Offline

RE: IMPROVING REACTIONS - machine for pigs

I hope to my message help or get some idea to the frictional guys...

If you have some idea to improve reactions to the monsters you can post her... In this topic

The frictional need yours ideas to creat a very nice good game the machine for pigs, they rely on you.
10-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(10-24-2012, 06:03 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: The music can actually work against the player sometimes in terms of "scares", and this is proven by studies of human psyche:

Play the music without there actually being a monster. The player will freak out nonetheless. This shouldn't be done often though.
Yea... Because otherwise i just tell myself, hey, the music is gone. There is no monster Smile
What then scares me is that you can activate the monster without the music, and that is terrifying, because then you know shit about the monster Big Grin

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2012, 06:27 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
10-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

Just like in Silent Hill!

10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: Just like in Silent Hill!
Yeah - that damn radio! ^^ Or the motion sensor in the Marine campaign of Alien vs Predator 2. That thing was brilliant. It would keep going off, but it wouldn't tell you if the enemy was behind a wall or in the vents above you or what... oftentimes, especially in the beginning of the campaign, nothing would happen at all. At other times, it would go off too late to warn you in time. In theory having a motion sensor should make you feel more safe but it actually only made you more nervous!
10-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Considering the notoriety of how they create their horror, I don't think they need to really take anyone's advice.
10-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Find
Melvin Offline

Threads: 38

There's nothing wrong with some friendly advice, in my opinion.

[Image: 25F7U37.png]
10-25-2012, 03:40 AM
Website Find
GraphicsKid Offline

Threads: 34

I like how he threw that picture of the brain in there just for the heck of it.
10-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Find