Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

Awesome, roaming London. that's cool.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
11-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Find
Oink Offline

Threads: 0

The screenshots look excellent - such a shame that the YouTube teaser doesn't show off the visuals at their best due to the compression and gamma issues.
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

(11-01-2012, 09:00 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: So, how exactly do we participate in the thing their asking for? Do we just simply get a microphone and start screaming and pretending to be scared? Cause If so, then I could do that.
Yes, thats how I'd interpret their request - Just grab some sort of recording device and start squealing! Tongue They'll probably take care of proper mixing and the like then if the technical quality of the recording isn't too low. (Maybe they won't even use the screams in their original state, but somehow distort them for subtle use in ambient music?)
I'd love to contribute, but alas I don't own a microphone :/
Okay, I already started recording some voice clips.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
11-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Usable Weapons in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs?

I recently saw the new Halloween trailer for the upcoming game and new screen shots and noticed something I simply had to bring up. I saw in the background of this image http://www.aamfp.com/images/201210_aamfp...shot_2.jpg that two rifles are in a glass case. Based on all of the stuffed animals in the room, I bet the guns aren't decoration only. I believe that you the player will use them in game. I will list below reasons why I think this and what they could be used for.

My evidence for guns/weapons in Amnesia comes from what they [Frictional Games] officially released to use... the ModelEditor! If you open it and load a monster's properties you will notice slots for: sounds made when a sword/bullet hits the monster and what particles made when a sword/bullet hits the monster. Seeing that The Dark Descent didn't have weapons, I'm lead to conclude that they put that option for future use.

Now I know what some of you must be thinking "Oh no, they're making a First Person Shooter!". Based on their success rate on making terrifying games, I am 100% sure it won't lead to that. The monster properties allows you to give it regeneration and/or toughness. I will discuss how the two can counter guns and add scares to the gameplay.

Fast Regeneration: This ability allows a monster to heal wounds faster than a human normally could. Let's look at the Amnesia 1 monsters as examples. All of the items in the game, if tossed, deals 5 damage. Grunts/Brutes regenerate 5 points of health... so you can never kill one in game.

Regeneration Scare Scenario: You grab the shotgun from the display case and fill it with ammo. It deals 25 damage per shot. Suddenly Mr. PIG (my name for the Pig monsters) bursts n on the scene and runs towards you. You fire the gun, but to your horror it almost instantly heals! You can't shoot fast enough to deal any lasting damage. All you've done is wasted precious time for running away!

The weakness in regeneration is doing more damage than its regeneration, but Frictional Games left another defense option for monsters.

Toughness: According to the info in the ModelEditor, if a creatures attack strength is 1 less than another monster's toughness, half damage is dealt. If the attack is 2+ less than the toughness, no damage is dealt.

Toughness Scare Scenario: You managed to flee from Mr. Pig after the shotgun failed.You soon find a double barrel shotgun that deals twice the damage of a regular shotgun. Hope and courage building, you set off in search of monsters to kill. You bump into a warthog variant of Mr. Pig in the room. You sneak up to it and fire at point blank range. All of your hope and courage evaporated as all of the bullets simply bounce off its hide! Pure fear and terror fills you as Mr. Pig turns to face you.

Now toughness can be beat if one's attack strength is equal or greater than it. Considering if both were put to use in Mr. Pig, then that gun is as useful against the monster as throwing a box at an Amnesia 1 Grunt.

So if guns wouldn't be used in combat, then what? My guess for the guns would be puzzles/obstacles. Picture this: "Mr. Pig is in one room that you MUST enter. The trouble is that he's much faster than you are; you'd never outrun him if he spotted you. He's in the middle of a large and open room, and the item you seek is right in front of him. The rooms you came from has nothing to toss to get his attention. What do you do? Using some string as a fuse and other stuff in your pack, you set up the gun to fire in the farthest room you can access; but fire when you've hidden and ready to move for the item. When the gun fired, Mr. Pig came running for it, giving you plenty of time to grab the item you sought!

Granted this is just one example, but it shows how a gun can be used to get past a tricky situation. With the defenses available to Amnesia monsters, they can easily be immune to gun fire, thus making your new found hope into that much more fear and terror.
11-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Usable Weapons in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs?

nicely thought but wont happen. As far as i know FG has already stated that AAMFP and their next super secret project wont include weapons

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
11-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

They aren't going to be used, dan already said that in a recent interview there will be no weapons

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
11-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-01-2012, 10:11 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: They aren't going to be used, dan already said that in a recent interview there will be no weapons
I didn't know about a recent interview. Man... ruin my cool ideas for using the guns in puzzles.
11-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

I recorded some immediately when I saw that message, but then when I listened to them again, they sounded too awkward to send. lol

“It’s set within the same universe, so there are references to things which happen in Dark Descent, and players who played Dark Descent might spot a continuation of the kind of ideas that were in the first game. But it’s completely unrelated, the central plotline of it. So, I guess you could say that quite a few of the Lego bricks are shared with Dark Descent, but we’re making very different things out of them. If that’s not too pompous a metaphor.”

See? I knew these 2 games were going to be linked somehow!

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2012, 10:34 PM by GrAVit.)
11-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(11-01-2012, 10:02 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: My evidence for guns/weapons in Amnesia comes from what they [Frictional Games] officially released to use... the ModelEditor! If you open it and load a monster's properties you will notice slots for: sounds made when a sword/bullet hits the monster and what particles made when a sword/bullet hits the monster. Seeing that The Dark Descent didn't have weapons, I'm lead to conclude that they put that option for future use.
I think those are vestigial features left over from Penumbra. Remember being able to swing axes and hammers at the dogs in Overture?
11-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

I apologize to the officials here in the forum for not putting my Amnesia 2 weapon thoughts in a new thread instead of this one that I forgot about.

That said, do you think the guns pictured in one of the screenshots can even be picked up?

I think those are vestigial features left over from Penumbra. Remember being able to swing axes and hammers at the dogs in Overture?
[/quote]

I do remember, and hadn't thought abot that. You're right, those could have been leftovers from Penumbra.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2012, 10:40 PM by The Rock Worm.)
11-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Find