Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[WIP] The Ghost of Dr. Arachnikara *NEW UPDATE V1.8*
DragonRuins Offline

Threads: 4
[WIP] The Ghost of Dr. Arachnikara *NEW UPDATE V1.8*

NEW UPDATE TO V1.8! MANY NEW CHANGES.

This is my first custom story I have made. I have not entirely finished decorating all of the maps, but I decided to post it to see if it needs any more work done than I think. I do have an end-map with credits. Here is the description of the map: "It's in the middle of the day, and you wake up in a room you've never seen. You don't know how to react, where you are, or what to do. All you know is, you've pissed off a deseased man's ghost. The only thing you can do now, is find out how to leave." Feedback would be much appreciated. Map as attachment, or use the mediafire link below screen shots.

Videos:
xLePlay: (His videos aren't from the finished version)
Spoiler below!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Screen Shots:
Spoiler below!

[Image: i41cpc.jpg]

[Image: 2lwrubp.jpg]

[Image: 10rs8hu.jpg]

[Image: rr6y36.jpg]

Here are additional screenshots:
Screenshot1
Screenshot2
Screenshot3

Screenshot4

DOWNLOADS:

V1.8: Mediafire

Older Versions:
Spoiler below!

V1.0: Mediafire
V1.2: Mediafire
V1.3: Mediafire
V1.4: Mediafire
V1.5: Mediafire
V1.6: Mediafire
V1.7("Finished"): Mediafire

Changelog:
Spoiler below!

V1.8:
Changed three maps.
Library:
-Added grunt
-Changed second room with table. Much more suitable for a library now.
-Changed a few lighting issues.
-Made the ceiling higher in second room.
-Added particle systems for windows in second room.
-Testing idea with the physics of the two book models.
-Attempt at making books fall off shelves themselves.

Dungeon:
-Made a huge lighting overhaul in both rooms.
-Fixed brute path finding (it took way to long).
-Lighting much more ambient in key room.
-Slightly changed key location.
-Added note to help you find the east wing key. Even harder to find than before without note.
-Fixed an accidentally placed script area that showed the brute the player's location, causing the player to be found and killed by the brute while in the closet.
-Removed a TON of boxes. Should be much better performance-wise.
-Added pillar by the door to the key room because the spotlight was showing through the wall on a part of the wall in the key room. The pillar is used to create a shadow so this light does not show.

Lab:
-Added water on the floor.
-Added water-texture plane.
-Added fog above water for a misty-ish look.

V1.7("Finished"):
Changed most maps
-Added Map: Lab
-Extended entire story
-Lab is in the room that you get pushed into and the door slams shut, it's where the window used to be
-You get the key in desk in the east wing.
-You need acid to leave this time
-Finished story

V1.6:
Changed East Wing
-No longer a sad, sad troll of monsters!
-Made it a normal hall with normal rooms
-Changed the way the credits begin (I thought this was pretty cool)
-GAVE IT A CEILING!

V1.5:
Changed both the library and starting level.

Starting Level:

-Extended level (takes more time to move on to library)
-Added a few more jump scares
-Locked door to library, now you get to find a key
-fixed graphical glitches in bedroom

Library:

-Added new room: Storage
-Changed access to lever
-Extended Level
-Slightly decorated the room with the table
-Fixed ceiling glitch in the desk room, and books on the floor

V1.4:
Mainly changed the library level.
-Added books and piles on the floor in the lever room
-Added critters such as rats and cockroaches in the lever room.
-Decorated the dark room with the chest in library
Dungeon:
-Added tools and such to the shelves
-Removed some boxes
Added links to new screen shots in the screen shot spoiler. I can't have 4 pictures for some reason, because it says that I have 5 when there's only 4, but then removing one makes it three.

Made a ton of changes in the first level:
Decorated bookshelves
Added banners in the cellar
Added new bookshelves
Decorated the bedroom more
Added things to the dining room
Mainly just touched up with quite a few new things in the first level.
Added a new scare in the cellar.
Posted new pictures above.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
V1.2:
Changed entrance from bed room to dining hall.
Made the key in the bedroom closet do something.
Fixed issue with memento at the cellar door showing up before the door is unlocked.
Added structure in Dungeon (something to do with roof)
Added dynamic crowbar for the door in dining hall.
Removed the text saying "use the crowbar on the door"

.rar   The Ghost of Dr. ArachnikaraV1.8.rar (Size: 79.2 KB / Downloads: 215)

[Image: 76561198012068277.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2012, 09:43 PM by DragonRuins.)
03-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Website Find
Kaizy Offline

Threads: 0
RE: The Ghost of Dr. Arachnikara

Alright, let me make a suggestion here, this thread doesn't seem to be getting any attention.

I personally think you should save the pictures to Tinypic or Photobucket or some other image hosting site because some people like myself may not want to download a zip file of images just to see what the map looks like. Like I said, upload them to an image hosting site and put them in your first post so people have pictures to go by right when they open the thread as opposed to just a paragraph and download links.

If people see some pics on here, it may encourage people to download and try, but that's just my opinion.

I play Amnesia Custom Stories a couple times a week on Livestream
Its great fun
http://www.livestream.com/kaizy
Steam account: Krazyw0lfie
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2012, 07:46 AM by Kaizy.)
03-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Find
DaAinGame Offline

Threads: 11

(03-21-2012, 07:45 AM)Kaizy Wrote: Alright, let me make a suggestion here, this thread doesn't seem to be getting any attention.

I personally think you should save the pictures to Tinypic or Photobucket or some other image hosting site because some people like myself may not want to download a zip file of images just to see what the map looks like. Like I said, upload them to an image hosting site and put them in your first post so people have pictures to go by right when they open the thread as opposed to just a paragraph and download links.

If people see some pics on here, it may encourage people to download and try, but that's just my opinion.
Couldn't agree more. Also, video is another great method at attracting people to your custom story. To be honest, all I see is a blank thread that doesn't really wake me up that much. I'll go ahead and download the map and see how it goes though!

Spoiler below!
Good:
Plenty of jump scares and builds a good amount of tension.
I noticed nearly zero texture errors
That brute had me frozen in my seat
Amazing lighting, wish it worked that well in my story!
The "invisible" barriers in the Library were pretty neat
Great Ambient Sounding and music
Great for your first story imo
Bad:
Level layout didn't make much sense. From a bedroom into a main dinning hall? Or a dungeon off a library?
Had a hard time finding the East Wing Key. Spent about 10 minutes there
I realize the ending is temporary, but there was no ceiling!!! >=P
A little short, but if it still is in progress, that's okay
Some scares were predictable, but you still caught me by surprise a few times.
Noticed a key that did nothing, and had no name in the bedroom?
Could use some work on the actual Storyline. You have a frame for one, but exploit it and use it to create fear in the player!

The text saying "Use the crowbar on the door" or whatever it was kind of ruins the fun for that. Give a hint about it, but don't just give it away.

Overall I give it a 5/10
Please continue on it! Put enough work into it and it could be great!

Realm Of Another Chapter 1: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14142.html
Realm Of Another Chapter 2: Postponed
Adder Halls: 5%
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2012, 08:44 AM by DaAinGame.)
03-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5

Spoiler below!
yes, no usable key in bedroom
loved pathnode brute in Dungeon, very good!
when i enter library - there"s so sound of entering

overall - very good!
03-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Find
DragonRuins Offline

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I will add some pictures today, and about the key in the bedroom. I was meaning for that to come into play later on in the story. I just cut the map short so I could at least see if I was getting anywhere. The "no roof in the end-map" That was intentional. It isn't really going to be the official East Wing map, just temporary. I plan on going back through the map and sorting things out according to your feedback. Spring break next week anyway.
Quote: Level layout didn't make much sense. From a bedroom into a main dinning hall? Or a dungeon off a library?
The bedroom is the first area of a map I had ever made in the HPL2 editor, and then I couldn't think of anything other than a dining hall for the next room Smile I may fix that, but it definitely would require a lot of effort, because I don't see any easier way to move the whole section without messing with the script areas. The dungeon off the library was supposed to be a secret dungeon. If that desk wasn't conveniently placed there, then you couldn't get through to it. (which I may add something to do to the right of the room that's right after the first room in the Library.) A question about that area with the book case, though. Is it possible to have the dungeon doorway/frame inactive or invisible, then have the wall behind the bookcase disappear into the door frame for that style, then make the dungeon doorway/frame visible? Because there are some texture glitches with that as well. Once again, I appreciate that you all took the time to give some feed back for me to work on! I'll continue it, for sure.

<EDIT> I just added the screen shots! Currently working on improving the map Big Grin </EDIT> Tongue

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM by DragonRuins.)
03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Website Find
DaAinGame Offline

Threads: 11

(03-21-2012, 08:27 PM)DragonRuins Wrote:
Quote: Level layout didn't make much sense. From a bedroom into a main dinning hall? Or a dungeon off a library?
The bedroom is the first area of a map I had ever made in the HPL2 editor, and then I couldn't think of anything other than a dining hall for the next room Smile I may fix that, but it definitely would require a lot of effort, because I don't see any easier way to move the whole section without messing with the script areas.
I haven't really used it that much, but you can highlight the dining room
and everything outside of the bedroom, then export your selection.
It'll save everything and allow you to import the selection at anytime. I used it in my custom story to make the first part of my South and North hallway. I made it once, then just exported it and imported it over to the second part. Works quite well, but you'd have to keep the original angles unless you wanna rotate each prop individually. Either way, it would be worth trying perhaps? Well good luck on the map, I really liked it so far.

Realm Of Another Chapter 1: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14142.html
Realm Of Another Chapter 2: Postponed
Adder Halls: 5%
03-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Find
xLePlay Offline

Threads: 3
RE: [WIP] The Ghost of Dr. Arachnikara *UPDATE V1.2*

I will make a Let's Play of this.

Links: When its done

03-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Website Find
Kaizy Offline

Threads: 0

Alright, I finally gave this a playthrough, so here's my thoughts:

Spoiler below!
It isn't that bad, but there's certainly work to be done. Most of your rooms come across as very very empty, lacking any sort of atmosphere and scenery. The rooms lack objects and are nearly barren, excluding the dungeon which had an over abundance of boxes all over the floor which just looked messy, and the library had bookshelves that didn't even have books on them. It would make sense if there were books scattered all over the floor in front of the empty shelves, but without any books at all, it was just empty and lackluster. I'd try adding scattered books and papers to the floors and shelves of those kinds of areas, add tools to the shelves in the dungeon, use some statues here and there; don't be afraid to add some scenery and make the house look like someone lives there. Also, the bookshelves that actually did contain books, I can tell most of them were copy/pasted; you used the same unmovable books and used nothing but those books for the entire map, and some of the books were hovering on the shelf. You should try using multiple books, shuffling them around a bit, make it look less symmetrical and copy/pasted, and make it seem more natural and used. I'm also very confused as to the use of all the buttons, I wasn't sure what most of them were actually doing. They made unlocking noises, but nothing ever seemed to be unlocked. There's also the matter of switches/levers just suddenly appearing. You should try having them always visible and there, but unable to be used until you active them in some manner. I read a note which mentioned the use of a lever I hadn't seen at all, and suddenly when I stopped reading it just appeared in front of my face. The last thing I want to address is that one room in the library, the large one with the bookshelves lined up leading to a straight path towards the door and two knight statues. The fact that you used such a big room confuses me, seeing how any attempt to walk over to the big empty areas is met with a sudden force shoving me back and making noise. It makes me wonder why you wouldn't just make a small hallway for this instead of the unnecessary large room that isn't fully used. Also, the ending confused me. You're dropped into a room with no ceiling, monsters spawn right behind you but they poof before you can turn around and see them, and once you move towards the desk it's over. I'm not really sure what happened there.

Overall, it's not bad for a first map, but you should remember these things and use them to your advantage in your next map.

I play Amnesia Custom Stories a couple times a week on Livestream
Its great fun
http://www.livestream.com/kaizy
Steam account: Krazyw0lfie
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2012, 04:55 AM by Kaizy.)
03-23-2012, 04:55 AM
Find
DragonRuins Offline

(03-23-2012, 04:55 AM)Kaizy Wrote: Alright, I finally gave this a playthrough, so here's my thoughts:

Spoiler below!
It isn't that bad, but there's certainly work to be done. Most of your rooms come across as very very empty, lacking any sort of atmosphere and scenery. The rooms lack objects and are nearly barren, excluding the dungeon which had an over abundance of boxes all over the floor which just looked messy, and the library had bookshelves that didn't even have books on them. It would make sense if there were books scattered all over the floor in front of the empty shelves, but without any books at all, it was just empty and lackluster. I'd try adding scattered books and papers to the floors and shelves of those kinds of areas, add tools to the shelves in the dungeon, use some statues here and there; don't be afraid to add some scenery and make the house look like someone lives there. Also, the bookshelves that actually did contain books, I can tell most of them were copy/pasted; you used the same unmovable books and used nothing but those books for the entire map, and some of the books were hovering on the shelf. You should try using multiple books, shuffling them around a bit, make it look less symmetrical and copy/pasted, and make it seem more natural and used. I'm also very confused as to the use of all the buttons, I wasn't sure what most of them were actually doing. They made unlocking noises, but nothing ever seemed to be unlocked. There's also the matter of switches/levers just suddenly appearing. You should try having them always visible and there, but unable to be used until you active them in some manner. I read a note which mentioned the use of a lever I hadn't seen at all, and suddenly when I stopped reading it just appeared in front of my face. The last thing I want to address is that one room in the library, the large one with the bookshelves lined up leading to a straight path towards the door and two knight statues. The fact that you used such a big room confuses me, seeing how any attempt to walk over to the big empty areas is met with a sudden force shoving me back and making noise. It makes me wonder why you wouldn't just make a small hallway for this instead of the unnecessary large room that isn't fully used. Also, the ending confused me. You're dropped into a room with no ceiling, monsters spawn right behind you but they poof before you can turn around and see them, and once you move towards the desk it's over. I'm not really sure what happened there.

Overall, it's not bad for a first map, but you should remember these things and use them to your advantage in your next map.
I can explain a few things for you. The bookshelves and the books. I will most certainly be fixing that, I just wanted to get the base done for a couple maps to see if I was getting anywhere with it. It's also very time consuming. The ending.. Yes, I'd just like to say that it has absolutely nothing to do with the map what so ever. I wanted something to use as the ending temporarily. I intend on building on this whole story and fixing up the previous maps as I hear from people like yourself. I'm hoping to have many, many maps when I'm finished with this whole thing. If I ever finish it. I don't mean that I'm going to stop working on it. I plan on changing the story as I go. When you finally "leave" I may have something happen to you yet again, and another map loads and there's another story. It would be like your character going through many different nightmares. Just that they aren't dreams. Smile Thanks for the feedback, though. I'll do my best at using what you've said I should do.

03-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Website Find
ThoseRandomGuyz Offline

Threads: 2
RE: [WIP] The Ghost of Dr. Arachnikara *UPDATE V1.4*

Dude, you have a LOT of updates on this map! Which is good, cause it shows that you really want it to be good. Big Grin

I will review all of your custom stories (when I find time!)!
03-25-2012, 02:31 AM
Find