Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Work in progress Dark Deeds demo want feedback :)
Fralexxelarf Offline

Threads: 5
Smile  Dark Deeds demo want feedback :)

dasdsadadas

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2012, 06:10 PM by Fralexxelarf.)
04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: Dark Deeds 0.7c want feedback :)

I'm curious about what c after .7 means or is it just some random labeling?

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
04-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Find
Fralexxelarf Offline

(04-07-2012, 04:28 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: I'm curious about what c after .7 means or is it just some random labeling?
It's the hotfix version, less bugs than .7b

04-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Find
pontusry Offline

Threads: 10

Really scary so far.

But why are there notes without any text, and why aren't you using doorframes at all the doors?
04-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

I will playtest this now and edit my post later with the details.

I don't want to go easy on you, so expect anything. I hope you use this feedback wisely, I'm not going to sugercoat anything.

Okay, just played the first section (first room, mistakenly thought that the area was over). It was freaky but it made no sense. I have no sense of immersion here, because things don't logically add up...the Brute scare was freaking awesome, when it broke the door, but I didn't like the closet scare because...well, where was the body when I opened up the cabinet before hand? And why did it just fly out like that? It comes off as a cheap jump scare, I didn't like that at all.

Played the second area now (the library area). We're missing boxlights, pointlights, and I believe billboards. Also, when creating your floor and ceiling textures, try shrinking their texture size to .25 or .4 or something to make them less repetitive. Also, you gave us the answer to a very simple puzzle (stacking barrels to reach the top path) when it really isn't needed. Plus, here I also really started to feel like I knew what was going to happen. Two locked doors, have to find a key in order to open one, but wait, where is it? Oh, it's not here, let me backtrack and- JUMP SCARE. Okay, key is accessible now, I open that door in order to get the second key. It was used both times in the first two maps, and it isn't fun. You did mention my character was insane, so is this happening or not?

I'm in the basement area or whatever, and I'm like, I really like this idea that my lantern blew out, and it's really dark and scary, nice atmosphere here. And then its ruined by two things: a jump scare when I unlock the door, which I thought was really cheap and dull, and then I was cheaply killed because I hid in a closet and the brute spawned outside and just decked me. How am I supposed to avoid that? That is insanely unfair and I have no immersion whatsover. So I wake up, I walk down this long hallway, and there's a littany of jump scares that at this point I predict will happen, plus a teleporting naked man. This isn't scary anymore, it's just a jumpfest map.

I fell into a water dungeon and it doesn't seem finished, so whatever.

Well, there's my feedback for the Beta. I'm sorry it feels so harsh, but I said I wasn't going to hold back, and I didn't. I expected more, unfortunately, but this comes off as a pewdie map. And can we get more than key puzzles, please? O_O Random teleporting naked guys and jump scares...these just aren't fun to play with.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2012, 01:13 AM by Putmalk.)
04-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Find
Fralexxelarf Offline

(04-08-2012, 12:48 AM)Putmalk Wrote: I will playtest this now and edit my post later with the details.

I don't want to go easy on you, so expect anything. I hope you use this feedback wisely, I'm not going to sugercoat anything.

Okay, just played the first section (first room, mistakenly thought that the area was over). It was freaky but it made no sense. I have no sense of immersion here, because things don't logically add up...the Brute scare was freaking awesome, when it broke the door, but I didn't like the closet scare because...well, where was the body when I opened up the cabinet before hand? And why did it just fly out like that? It comes off as a cheap jump scare, I didn't like that at all.

Played the second area now (the library area). We're missing boxlights, pointlights, and I believe billboards. Also, when creating your floor and ceiling textures, try shrinking their texture size to .25 or .4 or something to make them less repetitive. Also, you gave us the answer to a very simple puzzle (stacking barrels to reach the top path) when it really isn't needed. Plus, here I also really started to feel like I knew what was going to happen. Two locked doors, have to find a key in order to open one, but wait, where is it? Oh, it's not here, let me backtrack and- JUMP SCARE. Okay, key is accessible now, I open that door in order to get the second key. It was used both times in the first two maps, and it isn't fun. You did mention my character was insane, so is this happening or not?

I'm in the basement area or whatever, and I'm like, I really like this idea that my lantern blew out, and it's really dark and scary, nice atmosphere here. And then its ruined by two things: a jump scare when I unlock the door, which I thought was really cheap and dull, and then I was cheaply killed because I hid in a closet and the brute spawned outside and just decked me. How am I supposed to avoid that? That is insanely unfair and I have no immersion whatsover. So I wake up, I walk down this long hallway, and there's a littany of jump scares that at this point I predict will happen, plus a teleporting naked man. This isn't scary anymore, it's just a jumpfest map.
Hey thanks for the ceiling tip! I agree with the Key thing, it makes the scares obvious.
And yeah I guess the jumpscares are a matter of taste if you like them or not.
The jumpscares i put in the end was just random stuff, to see if people got frightend of it.
I might make two versions of the map, like one more serious without jumpscares and one with them.
I'm starting to learn using all the light tools, or what to call them.

And hey, thanks for the time you gave it.

(04-07-2012, 10:18 PM)pontusry Wrote: Really scary so far.

But why are there notes without any text, and why aren't you using doorframes at all the doors?
What do you mean with doorframes?

Thanks

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM by Fralexxelarf.)
04-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Find
SUMMER^ Offline

Threads: 6

Hey, my name is Adam and I'm a very good bug tester/proofreader, and I can even help you write the story if you want. All the issues I find will be delivered in an easy to read report, along with screenshots documenting the bugs. I'll give this a go. If you want to see what others think of my work, you can check my thread here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14327.html

Will let you know what I find.

04-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Find
SUMMER^ Offline

Threads: 6

(04-06-2012, 06:17 PM)Fralexxelarf Wrote: Hi guys! I'd like some more feedback for my first custom story 'Dark Deeds' which is a WIP.

Link: http://filebeam.com/1f5f0da40610a454bb6eadbd791381c6
Password: Dark

Nothing
is 100% complete in the existing rooms.
The story is still being written, therefore only two notes have text. (tips are ofc welcome.)

Thanks in advance Smile
EDIT: Reserved.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2012, 05:37 PM by SUMMER^.)
04-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Find
Fralexxelarf Offline

The download link has been updated with the demo version

04-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Dark Deeds demo want feedback :)

Why do you release public demos? If the players know what's coming, they won't be as scared. The second time, they'll just go "Oh, it's this level again, but with some added stuff.". Release it for a few playtesters instead.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Find