Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Game crashes when entering in the mine (French translation)
Thib_G Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Game crashes when entering in the mine (French translation)

Oh, yes, it works, thanks Smile
But it's not a good workaround... I'll try with various encodings...
02-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Find
Thib_G Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Game crashes when entering in the mine (French translation)

With another encoding, special characters are not displayed correctly, and the game crash the same way...
So, for now, the best thing to do is to remove emphasis from the file...
02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Find
deafboy Offline

Threads: 0

I have the SAME problem with the Czech translation of the game (from "official" czech windows game). It crash after i enter to the mine. All all emphasis works fine in texts before, lang file it encoded as UTF-8.
There is an english line:

<Entry Name="DescHatch">I should have known that rusty old ladder wouldn't hold my weight, but I didn't have any choice: I'd rather die down here than suffer that cold any longer.</Entry>

And there is translated line:

<Entry Name="DescHatch">Měl jsem vědět, že mě ten starý rezavý žebřík neunese, ale neměl jsem moc na vybranou: radši chcípnu tady dole, než abych tam dál mrznul.</Entry>

When I delete all emphasis it works, but think if it is same error in two different machines, with two different lang files,
the mistake is in side of developers.
07-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Find
mkkot Offline

I have passed Overture in English language because - as I thought - crashes were caused by an unofficial translation. Now I'm playing Black Plague (bought whole collection) with translation taken from Windows version, however I encountered same problem. After reading this thread I have (as I'm thinking right now) found a working solution.

The solution is simple: game saves can't have native characters in their file names.

As you can see, saves are stored here under real level names:
/home/user/.frictionalgames/Penumbra/Black Plague/save/auto

So the only thing you have to change is PenumbraCollection/BlackPlague/config/[language_name].lang, section <CATEGORY Name="SaveNames">. Just remove any native characters, not much work with that...

Should work probably for other Penumbra games. I hope this will solve all problems with crashes on translated version but who knows. I just discovered it right now and sharing with you. Enjoy ;]
Give me some feedback if this works, please :]
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2009, 10:06 PM by Katrinonus.)
08-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

Cool... Nice find of what the problem is. Unfortunately I don't have time to fix it for the Penumbra series, but I will definitely look into what's causing it so it'll be fixed for Unknown.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
08-31-2009, 02:15 AM
Website Find
mkkot Offline

Hah, I can't believe you guys haven't come up on such simple thing before Tongue

Any discount on Unknown for me? ;]
09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Find
DeM Offline

(08-28-2009, 09:54 PM)mkkot Wrote: I have passed Overture in English language because - as I thought - crashes were caused by an unofficial translation. Now I'm playing Black Plague (bought whole collection) with translation taken from Windows version, however I encountered same problem. After reading this thread I have (as I'm thinking right now) found a working solution.

The solution is simple: game saves can't have native characters in their file names.

As you can see, saves are stored here under real level names:
/home/user/.frictionalgames/Penumbra/Black Plague/save/auto

So the only thing you have to change is PenumbraCollection/BlackPlague/config/[language_name].lang, section <CATEGORY Name="SaveNames">. Just remove any native characters, not much work with that...

Should work probably for other Penumbra games. I hope this will solve all problems with crashes on translated version but who knows. I just discovered it right now and sharing with you. Enjoy ;]
Give me some feedback if this works, please :]

Shit, I hadn't read that solution and I played the games without emphasis Sad:
12-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Find