Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner modelling
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Beginner modelling

(05-12-2012, 01:47 PM)Adrianis Wrote: Having only used Blender, i can say that it will do everything you need it to but the experience may not be pleasant. I have no idea whether Maya/3DS makes it any more pleasant, or whether its just the process of modelling itself that is unpleasant, but getting hold of one of those two means being a student or a theif, sadly.

(05-12-2012, 01:42 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 01:36 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(05-12-2012, 01:30 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Yes, but considering the modding scene pretty much relies on their programs, they could make versions for non-profit private parties (that are NOT students).
Why would they bother doing that? The modding scene is of no importance to them.
They're already industry standards and used everywhere, they'd gain nothing.
They'd gain lots of modders buying their programs instead of pirating it or using free alternatives. They're completely avoiding a market, and they're not exactly growing popular from that either.
The modding scene is fairly small, comparatively speaking. Providing that software means marketing and support costs, its probably just not worth it for them
^ That. Modders is not a very good market, a very huge ammount of amateurs whom have no idea what they're doing. They wouldn't want to put money into something like that. Just not worth it.
05-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-11448.html
^ The above link contains guides I've made. Those will barely get you scratching at the surface of modeling, so I recommend that you use your best friend google later :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(05-12-2012, 01:47 PM)Adrianis Wrote: Having only used Blender, i can say that it will do everything you need it to but the experience may not be pleasant. I have no idea whether Maya/3DS makes it any more pleasant, or whether its just the process of modelling itself that is unpleasant, but getting hold of one of those two means being a student or a theif, sadly.

Technically, it's the modeling process that is unpleasant, but they all have their own way of trying to ease the process. Of course, Blender is a work in progress, but i still prefer it over the others; i find it easier to work with, especially now with 2.63 and the introduction of BMesh.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Website Find
R. Peters Offline

Threads: 10

(05-12-2012, 03:41 PM)Acies Wrote: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-11448.html
^ The above link contains guides I've made. Those will barely get you scratching at the surface of modeling, so I recommend that you use your best friend google later :>
Thanks man. This really helps me, as while i've some experience of coding and mapping, I don't know jack about modelling Tongue So this is just at my level to help start me out before I can move on. Cheers again Big Grin

Author of: - A Morbid New Year (Also available as a full conversion).
05-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Find
R. Peters Offline

Threads: 10

(05-12-2012, 03:41 PM)Acies Wrote: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-11448.html
Hey man. I've run into a small problem where I seem to have clicked a setting or something without realising it, which only allows me to select entire shapes at once, I can't drag out vertices individually. If you, or anyone else reading this happens to know what I did and how I can fix it, i'd really appreciate it. Cheers Smile

Here's a screen shot.

.png   3D Model 2.png (Size: 158.87 KB / Downloads: 104)

Author of: - A Morbid New Year (Also available as a full conversion).
05-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Find