Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question when downloading new models
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
Question when downloading new models

I have a quick question.

I downloaded a new model and placed it in my map (credit given of course). In order to get it to show up in the editor, I had to place the folder into my main entities directory. If I place the exact same folder in an entities folder in my custom story folder, and distribute the custom story, will it be okay to play for those who did not place it in their main entities directory without crashing?

Thank you very much.

Quick clarification, if necessary:
1) D/L model
2) Place entities folder inside my main directory entities folder
3) Place exact folder into my entities folder in my custom story folder
4) Place custom model in map
5) Can a random person download my story and play it just fine without issue?

05-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41
RE: Question when downloading new models

Yea, the way that amnesia does file searching is a bit weird (in my opinion i guess, i don't really know how standard this is or not haha). When you place say "box01.ent" in a map, it searches all of the folders in the resources.cfg file for that file when it loads the map. This is why for example if you tell the game to play an "amb_alert01" enemy sound, it will always play the brute sound instead of the grunt sound (unless you specify "grunt/amb_alert01") - because the brute alert sound is the sound that it finds first. So in other words, as long as any custom content that you include in your story is placed in a folder that is listed in the resources.cfg file, it should work fine for the people playing the story.

So in other words, it should work fine.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2012, 01:00 AM by Homicide13.)
05-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Custom story folders don't have to be included in the resources.cfg file in order for the game to find custom story content. I believe for custom stories the game uses the location of the custom_story_settings.cfg file to determine the path of the custom story files. By that i mean, wherever the custom_story_settings.cfg is found, that directory will become the root directory for the story. This, however, can change if the custom_stories folder is listed in the resources.cfg file.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Website Find
Homicide13 Offline

Hmm well if that was the case then I don't think the normal Amnesia files would load properly...

But anyhow, custom_stories is listed in the resources.cfg by default, so it's not really a problem either way.

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2012, 02:16 AM by Homicide13.)
05-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(05-13-2012, 02:16 AM)Homicide13 Wrote: Hmm well if that was the case then I don't think the normal Amnesia files would load properly...

But anyhow, custom_stories is listed in the resources.cfg by default, so it's not really a problem either way.

It's not listed there by default. You probably had it there for so long that you forgot you added it in. Normal Amnesia files wouldn't load if their folders weren't listed in resources.cfg. Since they are it is not an issue.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
05-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Website Find
Homicide13 Offline

Oh oops, you're right. That's odd though, I don't ever remember adding it and I could have sworn it was there...

But anyway, as long as the name of the file isn't changed, it shouldn't be a problem.

05-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

Okay, thanks a lot! Appreciate it!

05-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Find