Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Grimorium Verum
bagobonez Offline

Threads: 11
Grimorium Verum

First time modding for any game ever... however I'm not content with just slapping a few walls together and throwing in a bunch of jump scares. There will be some jump scares but they are few and far between and there's a reason they are there which ties into the story. This will mostly be a story driven CS with much more atmosphere than action. Along the way I've paid some homage to Silent Hill and the Legend of Zelda in some subtle ways. Since this is my first CS I won't be trying to re-invent the wheel with gameplay elements or custom models, textures or anything like that (though I do have a few custom songs, sounds, etc), but I'm hoping the story, atmosphere, level design and attention to detail will carry it. Difficulty will probably be fairly easy.

Plot: You wake up and don't remember anyth...JUST KIDDING! Here's the plot... Count Wilshire, the count of a large mansion, has acquired one of only two copies of the Grimorium Verum, an ancient black magic spell book. What he intends to do with the book is anyone's guess. You are one of his servants who lives in a humble home a short distance through the woods. It's your job to investigate what the Count is up to.
05-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Find
nemesis567 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 65
RE: Grimorium Verum

Old mansions, castles, counts, lords, kings.... Too used. Just because it's a mod does not mean you should use again and again the same places.

Today I dreamt the life I could live forever. You only know that when you feel it for you know not what you like until you've experienced it.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2012, 02:36 PM by nemesis567.)
05-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Find
bagobonez Offline

(05-19-2012, 02:36 PM)nemesis567 Wrote: Old mansions, castles, counts, lords, kings.... Too used. Just because it's a mod does not mean you should use again and again the same places.
Being that I'm a noob modder and will be using the stock materials that came with Amnesia I don't have alot of choice. Trying to start small and get the hang of some of this stuff before I delve into custom shit.
05-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

My tips:
Start out small. The greatest "noob mistake" is to make something too large, which is poorly detailed. Some maps just feel as if you have taken a 64x64 pixel picture and enlarged it to a 1024x1024 pixel picture --> Horrible :>

Make just one map, detail that a lot. It doesn't have to be longer than 15 minutes. Think a lot about pacing (increase scares slowly) and lighting (contrast of brighter and darker areas).

Other than that just have fun & good luck.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Find
bagobonez Offline

I believe I have finally finished it! I'd like for one or two volunteers to help me run a final "dress rehearsal" test on it though, before I release it to the masses... anybody interested?

It's a story heavy, atmosphere heavy custom with no corny flying dudes or senseless jump scares. Took a great amount of time polishing and fine tuning things so that there are no texture overlaps, etc.
07-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Find