Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am i capable of making a CS ?
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Am i capable of making a CS ?

Hello all again! I'd like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the inspiring words, tips and advices. Without your replies i wouldn't even bother and you truly inspiried me! I have already begun now with scripting and been working on it now for like 3 whole days. Trying to understand scripting is what i was doing 24h (well almost 24h ) a day.

It was very difficult the moment i set my eyes upon scripting.. I said to myself *ohh hell no this is too much for me* but I TRIED, followed tutorials and made few succeses. Encountered some of errors but they were all solved thanks to YOU, amnesia community.

And i'm proud to say that after so many tutorials watched, i FINNALY managed to make a new script without having a single bit of look at the tutorial. I think i finnaly started to understand how this whole scripting works and its much easier now.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

Scripting is surprisingly time-consuming. The first couple of weeks, I scripted every day from morning to evening, but by now I've just lost steam. If you want to make good maps, then a single map can have over a thousand lines of code. That's just a single map, which the player will at the most spend twenty minutes on. I'm not saying that scripting is pointless, but you need to be in a patient state where scripting feels relaxing to you, if you are ever to pull through and complete a map.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Find
FlyingFruitcake Offline

Threads: 4

If you want to make the scripting even more easy, have a look at this page:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...arty_tools

There are some nice programs and plugins, to make the scripting easier Wink

Always watch your back...
05-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

You'll get used to all of the function names soon. Eventually you'll say, "I want this and this to happen..." and just write down the needed functions without even looking back for reference.
Don't feel like a failure and give up if you get errors! That's my #1 tip for you. If you get frustrated, stop for a few hours or days and come back to it with an open mind. I can't tell you how many errors I used to get while scripting for the first time.. and believe me, I got frustrated! I usually scrapped every idea that I failed at, even if I thought it was a good one. DO NOT do that! That was my stupid mistake.
At first when you look at, for example, Amnesia's script, you'll think it's a whole bunch of alien code and freak out. (Its what I did at least.) And I'm not gonna lie, Amnesia's code is very complicated (in my opinion) as there are multiple endings and what you do affects this and this.. you know. Sometimes when I'm sick of scripting I map. I try new wall positions and make strange looking rooms, and while I do this a million scares and events start processing through my mind.
The thread name you wrote is a rhetorical question. ANYONE is capable of making a custom story. I wish you the best of luck, and I am almost always available for help through PM if you need it. I've also posted some tutorials on the wiki! Look forward to seeing you around on the forum. :]

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
05-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

I forgot to mention this:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...xt/notepad

I cannot tell you how much this will help.

Insanity. Static.
05-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Find