Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

New guy here
o0 DraastiK Offline

Threads: 1
New guy here

Yeah, I'm new. I just purchased the game tonight. Looking forward to play it after work tomorrow.

After watching some LP's, I'm nervous, seeing as I jumped through most of the scares haha.

All in all, I've been wanting to buy this game since it came out in 2010, but either forgot, never got around to it, or my bills got in the way. Luckily, I got the bill situation squared away, thanks to getting my old job back.

I will most likely be doing LP's of some Custom Stories, as well as broadcasting live using twitch.tv / justin.tv (same company)

Feel free to add me on steam Unrelenting_X
05-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Find
Stepper321 Offline

Threads: 26
RE: New guy here

Hey Big Grin! I hope you will enjoy Amnesia, as sure i do! I also create custom stories, although i prefer not playing mine cause mine is pretty bad. (I only have 1 released tough.)

Here are some of my favorite custom stories (not FC's (Full Conversions)

The Small Horse II - The Abuse [Custom Story] Part A+B

King Barrels Castle

Nintendo Castle Horror

Followed By Death: Chapter One

Followed By Death: Chapter Two

And some more, but first play these Big Grin!

Signature to awesome to be displayed.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2012, 04:24 PM by Stepper321.)
05-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

hello welcome! Big Grin

i'd strongly advise you not to watch LP videos, it will ruin the whole game experience.

but do as you please Smile its a wonderfull game

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
05-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Find
Stepper321 Offline

(05-22-2012, 04:30 PM)CowardlyDog Wrote: hello welcome! Big Grin

i'd strongly advise you not to watch LP videos, it will ruin the whole game experience.

but do as you please Smile its a wonderfull game
I also watch them, and it ruins totally nothing, don't do it aslong as you haven't played the story yet, or only if you have seen the first part.

05-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

hi there, first of all, you should probably avoid the stories Stepper321 has provided, except for followed by death ch.1 and followed by death ch.2.

the reason for this, is because you should probably play something thats worthy of being called a mod, first (tenebris lake, white night, abduction, through the portal, Deterioration, etc etc) before jumping into different troll maps. the reason for THAT is to show you that theres actually some pretty decent stuff out there, instead of just troll maps and pointless scares and such.

im not saying its illegal and blasphemy to play these maps, but they really.. REALLY ruin the immersion of this game.

secondly, id give you a heads up when playing some maps that seem like they dont have much.. effort, put into them. there are things that 5 year olds in this community are very fond of putting into their maps, and those are called: "Jumpscares". jumpscares involves naked flying men popping out out of NOWHERE inside either a closet, a table, a locked door etc etc. they play a distinctive loud pitched screaming noise, and i highly recommend you to stay away from those kind of maps, if you want to be true to the games' dignity and effort that has been put into it.

im not ordering you to do something, but i hate to see more and more people finding these maps more "awesome" than mods that have actually had a decent amount of work put into them.

after getting that out of the way, Welcome to the Amnesia: The Dark Descent forums! Big Grin

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2012, 05:00 PM by Mine Turtle.)
05-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Find
Stepper321 Offline

(05-22-2012, 04:58 PM)darkadders Wrote: hi there, first of all, you should probably avoid the stories Stepper321 has provided, except for followed by death ch.1 and followed by death ch.2.

the reason for this, is because you should probably play something thats worthy of being called a mod, first (tenebris lake, white night, abduction, through the portal, Deterioration, etc etc) before jumping into different troll maps. the reason for THAT is to show you that theres actually some pretty decent stuff out there, instead of just troll maps and pointless scares and such.

im not saying its illegal and blasphemy to play these maps, but they really.. REALLY ruin the immersion of this game.

secondly, id give you a heads up when playing some maps that seem like they dont have much.. effort, put into them. there are things that 5 year olds in this community are very fond of putting into their maps, and those are called: "Jumpscares". jumpscares involves naked flying men popping out out of NOWHERE inside either a closet, a table, a locked door etc etc. they play a distinctive loud pitched screaming noise, and i highly recommend you to stay away from those kind of maps, if you want to be true to the games' dignity and effort that has been put into it.

im not ordering you to do something, but i hate to see more and more people finding these maps more "awesome" than mods that have actually had a decent amount of work put into them.

after getting that out of the way, Welcome to the Amnesia: The Dark Descent forums! Big Grin
Yes, i will have to agree, even if i have put it in. But i find some maps hilariously funny or just creative and that's why their my fav.

05-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(05-22-2012, 07:33 PM)Stepper321 Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 04:58 PM)darkadders Wrote: hi there, first of all, you should probably avoid the stories Stepper321 has provided, except for followed by death ch.1 and followed by death ch.2.

Yes, i will have to agree, even if i have put it in. But i find some maps hilariously funny or just creative and that's why their my fav.
like i said, i have nothing against people enjoying those kind of stories; i just hate to think that soon there will only be troll stories left. ^^

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
05-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(05-22-2012, 07:33 PM)Stepper321 Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 04:58 PM)darkadders Wrote:
They only creative funny map was Dark Room, because it was an original idea and effort was put into it, unlike the "funny" maps with poorly animated ponies ripped from a model site, and flying naked people with the iron maiden sound played at max volume. Same idea with the Amnesia story premise, how every jump scare map made in 2-4 days has the same story where: "you wake up/can't remember" etc, it's overused and no one uses it correctly.

In addition to what darkadders wrote, some less common custom stories I found interesting were:

Unsterblich (cool story, map detail is average but good scares, multiple endings, etc)

Icarus (More based around story, not very scary, but one of those things that makes you think when you're done)

Insomnia ( a wonderful, creative full conversion)

I highly recommend Followed by Death (both chapters), but don't play it first, all other custom stories by comparison will be horrible/unplayable.

I rate it 3 memes.
05-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Find
Stepper321 Offline

(05-22-2012, 07:39 PM)darkadders Wrote: like i said, i have nothing against people enjoying those kind of stories; i just hate to think that soon there will only be troll stories left. ^^
I know! But no, i don't think only troll stories will be left. I'm also creating a more serious story. But, still, it will get FULL of it sometimes that we can't find one serious story. That's because troll stories don't need a actual story, that's why it's good for beginners. Troll stories are also easier to create, since they don't have much scripting needed. Or, professional scripting. Altough, there needs to be a good Custom Story browsing, somewhere, like a website. Filtering on Serious stories. What kind of stories like funny or troll stories, or serious ones. So we can focus on those!

(This post was last modified: 05-22-2012, 07:53 PM by Stepper321.)
05-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(05-22-2012, 07:51 PM)Stepper321 Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 07:39 PM)darkadders Wrote:
I know! But no, i don't think only troll stories will be left. I'm also creating a more serious story. But, still, it will get FULL of it sometimes that we can't find one serious story. That's because troll stories don't need a actual story, that's why it's good for beginners. Troll stories are also easier to create, since they don't have much scripting needed. Or, professional scripting. Altough, there needs to be a good Custom Story browsing, somewhere, like a website. Filtering on Serious stories. What kind of stories like funny or troll stories, or serious ones. So we can focus on those!
<RANT>
The same resources are available to everyone, it is the people who: "rush through things and want more experienced members of the community to do all of their work for them when 100% of their questions are already answered on the forum" that end up making these (excuse my language) idiotic maps.

When I started this (a few months ago), I had 0 knowledge of scripting/mapping, I just loved Amnesia. But, unlike many new members, I took the time to read over the wiki page and familiarize myself. I also studied the actual maps and scripts for TDD (granted that at the time it looked like a foreign language). Since then, I have made at least 4 entire projects (5-10 levels each) that have never been announced and were eventually deleted, because each time I learned more and advanced in my creation skills/knowledge of the engine, I looked back and realized how bad they are. I am far too proud and too much of a perfectionist to release anything under the standards of the original Amnesia game (which is apparently a very rare trait for users on this site).

I will admit I am very close-minded on the subject of custom stories, but only because I feel everyone has the same resources. Every custom story should be like Followed by Death; if you are not willing to put forth the time and effort to make something similar to the original game (as far as mapping/story/atmosphere goes), then you shouldn't be making custom stories. I find it very hard to believe the creators of jump scare maps are proud of themselves.

</RANT>

I rate it 3 memes.
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Find