Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need inspiration for new map.
Dusty926 Offline

Threads: 2
Heart  Need inspiration for new map.

Hello, just got Amnesia from the indie humble bundle V, and let me tell you: Me + Amnesia = Multiple trips to the bathroom. Anyways, I'm making a new map but I don't know what to put in it. (other than my scare that I thought up, along with a friend's scare) If you wanna know what those scares are they will be down at the bottom of this post. I'm completely out of inspiration, but I want to make an, at the least, good map. (And for f*ck's sake people I will not put any flying jesus's. Besides, I'm christian.)

My Scare: The player walks down a long hallway with no rooms after exiting a room with a Karenk, or however you spell it, then at the end of the hallway, there is this one room. Just as the player goes to open the door, a grunt busts down the door in 1-3 hits and so begins a wild chase.

My Friend's Scare: There is a room with 10 closets, 9 have hallucinations of grunts, 1 has a key to the next room. Once the player gets the key, his sanity will go up. But just when the player exits the room, 1 of the grunts become real and burst out of the closet and chase the player.

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong section, if it is, someone please move it.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012, 04:01 AM by Dusty926.)
06-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35
RE: Need inspiration for new map.

I like those ideas. Your scare has been used before I believe, but your friends scare I don't think I've ever seen.

My idea of a scare: The player goes up a stair case to the top of the stairs when you open the door, a loud scream plays and you make it so the player drops their lantern and it falls down the stairs. Then, when you are going down the stairs, make the chase music play (The high pitched frequency noise), but don't actually have a monster come, and all the lights in the surrounding area shut off. When the player picks up the lantern, the lights turn back on and the chase music stops. When the player faces the stairs again, make a monster slowly entering the room at the top, and make it slowly go out of sight and disappear.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012, 05:17 AM by RawkBandMan.)
06-07-2012, 05:16 AM
Find
Dusty926 Offline

(06-07-2012, 05:16 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: I like those ideas. Your scare has been used before I believe, but your friends scare I don't think I've ever seen.

My idea of a scare: The player goes up a stair case to the top of the stairs when you open the door, a loud scream plays and you make it so the player drops their lantern and it falls down the stairs. Then, when you are going down the stairs, make the chase music play (The high pitched frequency noise), but don't actually have a monster come, and all the lights in the surrounding area shut off. When the player picks up the lantern, the lights turn back on and the chase music stops. When the player faces the stairs again, make a monster slowly entering the room at the top, and make it slowly go out of sight and disappear.
Sounds complicated, I like it. Although IDK if you can make the terror meter blare without any monster or a hallucination of one.
06-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

Threads: 20

(06-07-2012, 03:47 PM)Dusty926 Wrote:
(06-07-2012, 05:16 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: I like those ideas. Your scare has been used before I believe, but your friends scare I don't think I've ever seen.

Sounds complicated, I like it. Although IDK if you can make the terror meter blare without any monster or a hallucination of one.
You can. Just make a .snt that "loops" and you're good to go.

Confusion: a Custom Story - Ch1 for play!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15477.html
About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
06-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Website Find
SUMMER^ Offline

Threads: 6

I can help create a short, interesting story for this, if you're interested, since this seems like a collaborative effort and a test of different scares.

Here's two ideas I just came up with.

Spoiler below!
Maybe something simple, after the player goes through the trials in whatever environment you create, you can have him "wake up" in a modern day home (just use the computer from penumbra, some overhead light models, a TV model, and maybe some new shelves)

You can then have the player wake up with a pounding headache, thinking everything was a dream. Then he will receive a message saying something like (My head is killing me, I need a drink of water...) and as soon as he opens his shelf, the grunt pops out and smacks him back to the nightmare.

This would be the end of the game (or the start of a new chapter)

Or maybe something like this:
Spoiler below!
The player wakes up in a cell, finding the place deserted, except for a single note on the table in his cell. Lying next to the note is a potion bottle filled with a viscous green liquid, its vile contents continually swirling.

The player then reads the note. It explains that he has been imprisoned in some kind of dungeon to atone for the sins of his past (a murder of some kind, maybe) and that this is some kind of "test" to see if he deserves to live.

The note says that the cell door will only open once the player drinks the entire potion. However, the note also says the potion will cause the player to suffer terrifying hallucinations and flashbacks of the crimes he committed, and he must now escape the dungeon with his sanity.

A lot of interesting things could be done with this. The player could first pass out after drinking the potion, and wake up to find the place decaying, crumbling, and in a generally nightmarish state. The same thing could happen later on, a player could walk into a normal looking room, pick up an item or something, and walk out to find the entire environment has changed without a single sound or anything to alert the player (A lot like silent hill 2, if you've played that)

If you like either of those ideas just let me know and I can expand on them. Also, if you already had some idea of the story you're settled on, I can help with that, too. Just send me a PM!

06-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31

Read old stories/books

There is alot of games that are based on old books or stories, but that doesen't mean it's only for games, why not make a custom amnesia story out of it? Cool

06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Old repost from other thread:
Spoiler below!

The story revolves around a cursed man (the player). He must drink an elixir every night the clock strikes twelve, or he will be turned into a monster. The custom story is set in a large mansion, which cycles through night/daytime. A strange man comes to live with the player and, as a result, on the day he moves in with the player, the player falls asleep on his couch being awakened by the clock striking three in the night. He has forgotten to drink the elixir!

He quickly hurries to the place where the elixir is stored and drinks it. Nothing seems wrong at the start, but as the story moves forward the player is plagued with visions of monsters and the stranger laughing crazily. The daytime becomes "a game" of avoiding the stranger living in his house, yet he doesn't have the option to leave (elixir cannot be moved from the house) or tell him about his secret. He simply waits for the stranger to leave.

The visions become more and more intense, with the player often finding his home in disarray in the daytime. Meanwhile he's struck with paranoid thoughts that the stranger is trying to turn him into the monster, almost as if he knew his secret. One night, while the visions are plauging him he can't bear it anymore and rushes into the strangers room. He finds the man lying dead on the floor, with flies surrounding his body. It all dawns on the player then.

That night when he forgot to drink the elixir he was "half-turned" into the monster. The visions and gaps in his memory are created by the attempts of the monster side of him when it tries to take control of his body. During one of the moments when the monster controlled him he killed the stranger living in his house. Since then, the sounds of the stranger in the daytime are simply created by his intense paranoid delusions.

The story won't contain any monsters, but will instead rely heavily on sounds, shadows (create gobos), particle effects, psyches, lightning effects, speech and so forth.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

06-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Find
SUMMER^ Offline

Threads: 6

(06-08-2012, 12:35 PM)Acies Wrote: Old repost from other thread:
Spoiler below!

The story revolves around a cursed man (the player). He must drink an elixir every night the clock strikes twelve, or he will be turned into a monster. The custom story is set in a large mansion, which cycles through night/daytime. A strange man comes to live with the player and, as a result, on the day he moves in with the player, the player falls asleep on his couch being awakened by the clock striking three in the night. He has forgotten to drink the elixir!

He quickly hurries to the place where the elixir is stored and drinks it. Nothing seems wrong at the start, but as the story moves forward the player is plagued with visions of monsters and the stranger laughing crazily. The daytime becomes "a game" of avoiding the stranger living in his house, yet he doesn't have the option to leave (elixir cannot be moved from the house) or tell him about his secret. He simply waits for the stranger to leave.

The visions become more and more intense, with the player often finding his home in disarray in the daytime. Meanwhile he's struck with paranoid thoughts that the stranger is trying to turn him into the monster, almost as if he knew his secret. One night, while the visions are plauging him he can't bear it anymore and rushes into the strangers room. He finds the man lying dead on the floor, with flies surrounding his body. It all dawns on the player then.

That night when he forgot to drink the elixir he was "half-turned" into the monster. The visions and gaps in his memory are created by the attempts of the monster side of him when it tries to take control of his body. During one of the moments when the monster controlled him he killed the stranger living in his house. Since then, the sounds of the stranger in the daytime are simply created by his intense paranoid delusions.

The story won't contain any monsters, but will instead rely heavily on sounds, shadows (create gobos), particle effects, psyches, lightning effects, speech and so forth.

Spoiler below!
I really like that. Maybe at the end, have a possible ending that after seeing the body it is revealed that the player was never a monster, that he killed the man in a drunken, psychotic rage and his "elixir" was simply vodka, that made him feel calmer.

Would be a mindfuck, eh? Either way it's nice as it is.

06-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(06-08-2012, 02:13 PM)SUMMER^ Wrote:
(06-08-2012, 12:35 PM)Acies Wrote: Old repost from other thread:

Spoiler below!

Spoiler below!
I really like that. Maybe at the end, have a possible ending that after seeing the body it is revealed that the player was never a monster, that he killed the man in a drunken, psychotic rage and his "elixir" was simply vodka, that made him feel calmer.

Would be a mindfuck, eh? Either way it's nice as it is.
Ah, I don't see any harm changing around as much as one would like. Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

06-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Find
Dusty926 Offline

(06-08-2012, 05:53 AM)SUMMER^ Wrote: I can help create a short, interesting story for this, if you're interested, since this seems like a collaborative effort and a test of different scares.

Here's two ideas I just came up with.

Spoiler below!
Maybe something simple, after the player goes through the trials in whatever environment you create, you can have him "wake up" in a modern day home (just use the computer from penumbra, some overhead light models, a TV model, and maybe some new shelves)

You can then have the player wake up with a pounding headache, thinking everything was a dream. Then he will receive a message saying something like (My head is killing me, I need a drink of water...) and as soon as he opens his shelf, the grunt pops out and smacks him back to the nightmare.

This would be the end of the game (or the start of a new chapter)

Or maybe something like this:
Spoiler below!
The player wakes up in a cell, finding the place deserted, except for a single note on the table in his cell. Lying next to the note is a potion bottle filled with a viscous green liquid, its vile contents continually swirling.

The player then reads the note. It explains that he has been imprisoned in some kind of dungeon to atone for the sins of his past (a murder of some kind, maybe) and that this is some kind of "test" to see if he deserves to live.

The note says that the cell door will only open once the player drinks the entire potion. However, the note also says the potion will cause the player to suffer terrifying hallucinations and flashbacks of the crimes he committed, and he must now escape the dungeon with his sanity.

A lot of interesting things could be done with this. The player could first pass out after drinking the potion, and wake up to find the place decaying, crumbling, and in a generally nightmarish state. The same thing could happen later on, a player could walk into a normal looking room, pick up an item or something, and walk out to find the entire environment has changed without a single sound or anything to alert the player (A lot like silent hill 2, if you've played that)

If you like either of those ideas just let me know and I can expand on them. Also, if you already had some idea of the story you're settled on, I can help with that, too. Just send me a PM!
I like those ideas, one question: Do you need 1 of the penumbra games for the models? Because I don't have any penumbra games. Also, while I'm making a comment, I tried to test a test map I made, I did everything: made the scripts, made the maps folder, and put my map in. And whats in custom storys? NOTHING! ****! Any help?
06-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Find