Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.

(07-23-2012, 07:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Hello.

I have a friend in the UK and we both are hardcore gamer.

That means we do hate all casual games and casual elements in games.
I know this isn't really relevant to the OP, but I have to contest this statement: that's a very big assumption you're making there, Googolplex. I consider myself to be a hardcore gamer as well; my favourite game ever is the masochistically difficult IWBTG (as you can tell from my avatar), and I also really like old school nintendo games, such as Castlevania, that are insanely challenging. However, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a casual game now and then. Games aren't always about the gameplay; sometimes they're about immersion, telling a story, much like a book or a movie.

Relevant: That said, horror is, in my opinion, really about what you want out of a game. I consider Silent Hill, for example (at least the first two), to have a much more refined horror factor than Amnesia; the developers of the SH series made really good use of darkness, isolation, claustrophobia, as well as a mysterious and intense plot to keep the player on edge throughout the entire game. However, I still found Amnesia to be the better game overall, not because of its jumpscares when you ran into a monster, but because I look for horror, plotwise, in a video game, and I think all the stuff that Daniel had to do - the tortures, kidnapping, murder - was extremely horrifying.

[Image: p229xcq]
07-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Find
Serena Offline

Threads: 2

Two words: Fear Effect. There is no way to heal, and regeneration is nil.

'Hardcore' gamers loved this game. The other 99% quit by the first boss battle.

Y'know, I gotta play devil's advocate here, cuz I'm not a CoD fan but.... perhaps the fact that games like CoD are more popular and successful than 'hardcore' games, is because they appeal to a wider audience? You as an individual may have a preference, but its going to have exactly 0 impact on consumer tastes.

However, I do share the disappointment felt by many when I discovered that Daniel's sanity had no actual effect on his health and was no risk of death - I expected Daniel to start jamming his thumbs in his eyes or something -.-
07-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(07-23-2012, 11:24 PM)Chronofox Wrote: Relevant: That said, horror is, in my opinion, really about what you want out of a game. I consider Silent Hill, for example (at least the first two), to have a much more refined horror factor than Amnesia; the developers of the SH series made really good use of darkness, isolation, claustrophobia, as well as a mysterious and intense plot to keep the player on edge throughout the entire game.
I'm probably one of few here, but Silent Hill (The first two) didn't scare me at all. I was more disturbed than scared throughout the course of the games.
07-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(07-23-2012, 11:27 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(07-23-2012, 11:24 PM)Chronofox Wrote: Relevant: That said, horror is, in my opinion, really about what you want out of a game. I consider Silent Hill, for example (at least the first two), to have a much more refined horror factor than Amnesia; the developers of the SH series made really good use of darkness, isolation, claustrophobia, as well as a mysterious and intense plot to keep the player on edge throughout the entire game.
I'm probably one of few here, but Silent Hill (The first two) didn't scare me at all. I was more disturbed than scared throughout the course of the games.
"Disturbed" is a form of "scary" for me, which is doubly true for Silent Hill 2. I really dreaded some of the rooms in the hospital and that labyrinth in SH2.

[Image: p229xcq]
07-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

Being a teenage girl with non-regenerating health, I have to say my life isn't any more eventful than my adult male friends with regenerating health.

That's really all I have to say.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
07-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Find
Zaari Offline

Threads: 0

(07-24-2012, 01:07 AM)Miss Rigi Wrote: Being a teenage girl with non-regenerating health, I have to say my life isn't any more eventful than my adult male friends with regenerating health.

That's really all I have to say.
That'll all change when cannibal ghosts invade the world.

"Marzipan, darling."
07-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

Regenerative health should only in my opinion; stay in today's fps and action based games.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
07-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

(07-24-2012, 01:14 AM)Zaari Wrote: That'll all change when cannibal ghosts invade the world.
I dunno, a little PMS goes a long way.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
07-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(07-23-2012, 07:55 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: So being a hardcore gamer means hating all casual games?

Gentlemen, that's a hipster gamer.

Once again, GoogolLogic
Why does everyone use the word hipster wrong now? Its almost as if it has replaced the word "fag" due to how often it's used. A hipster is someone who follows the latest trends; hardcore gaming isn't a trend, its for people who want a challenge. Hell, someone who plays CoD is more of a "hipster" than Googol. The proper term to use here would be "snob", someone who thinks their opinion is superior.

But that version of "hardcore gaming" is non existent. It seems like his friend doesn't understand the gaming industry. Why would a game developer create a game that would only appeal to a mere fraction of the gaming market?

Googol's friend is clearly stuck in a "superioristic" mindset, no use in arguing with someone like that. Just reading his message, I honestly think it's "an troll" (actually, after he said Clock Tower is superior to Penumbra or Amnesia, I'm 100% sure it's a troll.). Either that or he has some sort of mental issues.

I rate it 3 memes.
07-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Find
Zaari Offline

Threads: 0

(07-24-2012, 01:21 AM)Miss Rigi Wrote: I dunno, a little PMS goes a long way.
True, then the cannibal ghosts will choose otherwise.

"Marzipan, darling."
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2012, 01:49 AM by Zaari.)
07-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Find