Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What kinds of media makes you Nostalgic?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Movies
7.32%
3 7.32%
Games
48.78%
20 48.78%
Music
34.15%
14 34.15%
Art
2.44%
1 2.44%
Other
7.32%
3 7.32%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Nostalgic stuff.
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23
RE: Nostalgic stuff.

Anyone else want to share something nostalgic?

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
09-17-2012, 04:28 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman.
Ah, the good ole days.

I rate it 3 memes.
09-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Find
bloogleford Offline

Threads: 4

if Nintendo 64 is your idea of nostalgia, you are too young to really be nostalgicWink

Here's a few:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsyVQvWs-CI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O97AJN0BsHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfqOZlNxbfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-d10n_zQ...ure=relmfu

PS, You can play the Ultima7 games (there's two) on modern PC's with exult engine and it's well worth it if you can get past the graphics, had scheduled NPC's and open sandboxy world in 1992, and are better than 90% of what passes for RPG's today IMO.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2012, 05:30 AM by bloogleford.)
09-17-2012, 05:21 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

(09-17-2012, 05:21 AM)bloogleford Wrote: if Nintendo 64 is your idea of nostalgia, you are too young to really be nostalgicWink
It's not just N64 for me. There is others like:

- PS1
- PS2
- Gamecube
- Gameboy Advanced
- Xbox (The original one)

09-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Find
bloogleford Offline

Threads: 4

(09-17-2012, 09:31 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 05:21 AM)bloogleford Wrote: if Nintendo 64 is your idea of nostalgia, you are too young to really be nostalgicWink
It's not just N64 for me. There is others like:

- PS1
- PS2
- Gamecube
- Gameboy Advanced
- Xbox (The original one)
Was just messing around Wink I agree there were some good games for all of those....
09-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

Games were genuinely still good in the main run up until 2006. then something went Seriously wrong, something called call of duty 4 came along, and proper gaming pretty much went belly up overnight, now its only a few indie games that are still good.

also, as i have said before, there is no such thing as Nostalgia. a good game/film/book/bit of music, is a good game/film/book/bit of music no matter HOW old it is, Nostalgia is just a word used by modern media excusionists to cover up for the fact most modern stuff absolutly stinks in terms of creativity, quality, and entertainment levels, compared to stuff that came out probably before they were even born.

its like saying i prefer From Russia With Love over Quantum Of Solace becuase of "nostalgia". no it isnt, its because From Russia With Love had stunning cinematography, a coherant plot, a beautifull music score, and an actor who actually played James Bond, were as quantum of solace had a camara that jumped so often you had no idea what the hell was going on ( I STILL have no idea how Craig killed Slate), a plotline so disjointed im suprised it wasnt being served up at a KFC joint, a rap based sound that gave me a headache, and an actor who played a grunting, monosyllybic, Jason Bourne style thug who just happened to be Called James Bond. me prefering the Second Bond Film over what is currently still the last one has NOTHING to do with so called nostalgia, especially when you consider i wasnt Born until 1986, a good 23 Years After From Russia With Love Was Released, i prefer it because its a damn good movie.

its the same with games, its why i prefer A throwback game like hard Reset, or Serious Sam, over any modern AAA title, its not because im "nostalgic" because it reminds me of the games i played as a rather too young 8 year old, its because they are genuinely more fun, more challenging, longer, and more exiting than any AAA game, the fact i can actually PLAY them for more than 10 minuites without the room going upside down because the crosshairs arnt attatched to bungee wires, and thus stay static, helps a lot as well.

preferring something that is old Fashioned isnt because of Nostalgia. its because, nine times out of ten it is better to an incalculable degree than any of the "lowest common denominator" marketing department checklist based rubbish that is foisted on us by todays greedy american megacorps.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2012, 07:39 PM by the dark side.)
09-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-18-2012, 07:29 PM)the dark side Wrote: [wall o' text crits for 9k]
That's funny, I don't recall walls of text being on the poll for nostalgia. ;D

I also disagree with this:

Quote:there is no such thing as Nostalgia
The term nostalgia shouldn't be used to justify just one specific game or one specific movie; it's a reminder of how things were back when we were young and care free, and our biggest problems were school home-work and deciding what type of crackers we wanted our moms to buy us at the store.

Playing these games/listening to music/anything else from our childhood sends us back to those warm, carefree times. Of course it's not the soul reason to do one of the above activities, it's more like the icing on the cake; something that just makes it that much more special and gives us that unique connection to something we all hold dear to our hearts from the past.

I rate it 3 memes.
09-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

The thumbnail says it's the third game, but my first game I ever played was Sly Cooper. In my early years I didn't play games at all because I didn't own a computer or console.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

(09-18-2012, 08:26 PM)Zaffre Wrote:

The thumbnail says it's the third game, but my first game I ever played was Sly Cooper. In my early years I didn't play games at all because I didn't own a computer or console.
Ahh... the third was not that bad, but those games were epic.

Good thing I still have the original PS2 games for them.

09-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(09-18-2012, 08:49 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote:
(09-18-2012, 08:26 PM)Zaffre Wrote:

Ahh... the third was not that bad, but those games were epic.

Good thing I still have the original PS2 games for them.
I'm going to rape you now, with passion.
09-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Find