Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Favourite books?
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Favourite books?

"Edge Of Danger" (Jack Higgens) great action, well written and described, very human charachters, and a plotline that is more than pertinant to todays polotics, being about oil greed and islamic terrorism, unusually, it actually makes you sympathise a little with the enemies cause, they are not just cardboard cut out "Abdul the dead terrorist" badguy stereotypes (hello EA), they actually have a genuine greivance. of course, they still get there backsides kicked in the end.

"Thunderball" (ian Fleming) perhaps the quintessential original James Bond Thriller, and better than the film, less action, but far more charachter, a great atmosphere, and more flawed and human James Bond.

"The Hunt For Red October" (Tom Clancy) Brilliant film (even with Sir Seans "shchottish" Russhian Capitain) better book, amazing how close the film stuck to the clancy novel, the book has the advantage of deeper charachter than the novel, with there thaughs and feelings described, including the reason why Marko Ramius Defects with the red october, as well as extending on the films ending to cover the subs "demise" once stripped of its tech.

"Firefox" (Clive Thomas),. again, amazing how close the movie was to the book, in fact clive thomas was so impressed with the film he rewrote the book so Firefox (Mikoyan Guryevitch MIG-31) was described as she looked in the film, in the original book, she looked more like a MIG-25 Foxbat. the book again has the advantage of more charachter than the film, amazing how exiting the battle between the 2 Firefox jets at the end is even in word form. my copy is the later one, after the film and has the films sleek and still futuristic today "Firefox" Design.

Hey, i Like action Thrillers...
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM by the dark side.)
07-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

Any book by R.A. Salvatore in the Forgotten Realms series. Particularly ones that involve Drizzt Do'Urden.

Also the Sabriel series by Garth Nix.

I do love my fantasy novels so.

07-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Everybody here should read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I just got a Lovecraft anthology for Kindle and finished At the Mountains of Madness as well as a few short stories. He's an amazing writer.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
07-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

Does anyone here enjoy Dystopian novels? That's my absolute favourite genre.

For some reason I don't like a lot of the books that are considered popular today. I could never get into Harry Potter because of Rowling's writing style (I've tried to read each one in the series), there's just something about it that....perks me. Also I found the characters to be extremely generic. Right at the start, I knew who the good guys were, and as expected (from watching the movies), they remained the protagonists right to the end. Certain characters like Snape were much more enjoyable and multi-dimensional, but that was about it.

I didn't like Lord of the Rings better, although I do consider the series to be superior to HP, because at least I got through to the very end. Once again, generic, archetypal characters were the main problem, although since this was the first fantasy book every written, I could easily excuse that. Tolkien creates an immersive world with his elaborate descriptions of the settings, and has also created an extensive mythology. But I couldn't really relate to his characters much, and the villain never appeared directly, so I thought the plot was quite uninteresting and a bit shallow. Also there were some racist undertones.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 02:24 AM by Froge.)
07-30-2012, 02:23 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(07-30-2012, 02:23 AM)Chronofox Wrote: For some reason I don't like a lot of the books that are considered popular today. I could never get into Harry Potter because of Rowling's writing style (I've tried to read each one in the series), there's just something about it that....perks me. Also I found the characters to be extremely generic. Right at the start, I knew who the good guys were, and as expected (from watching the movies), they remained the protagonists right to the end. Certain characters like Snape were much more enjoyable and multi-dimensional, but that was about it.
Oh yeah Snape, I absolutely loved that dude.

A very small gripe I had with Rowling's writing style were some of her small themes/habits she seemed to put in them. For example everytime I saw "A not talking to B for a long time" I got a massive deja vu spike which came from the books, and pointed to the books. I think it's a bit overused in a irritating way.
07-30-2012, 02:28 AM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I have read the majority of the Harry Potter books, they were really good... I don't want to see the films because the books were satisfying enough for my imagination to decide how it should be Smile

[Image: luv.gif]
07-30-2012, 02:52 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I don't really read many books (partially cause I'm incredibly slow, but also cause they don't interest me too much), but I'd have to say my favorite would be the Shinning. I had originally seen the movie and loved it so much that I decided to read the book, needless to say the book was 5 times better than the movie, and even considering that the movie's still probably in my top 3 favorite movies.

Posting Freak
07-30-2012, 03:48 AM
Website Find
Xanatos Offline

Threads: 5

Has anyone read the Ancient Blades books? They look like an interesting read, from what little I know of them, but I'd like a bit more feedback before I go out and buy them.

If fate frowns, we all perish.
Do not fear the darkness, but welcome its embrace.
07-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

Has anyone else read The Witcher books? I'm reading Last Wish right now and its pretty good...
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Find
HateSolstice Offline

Threads: 0

The Wheel of Time series
At the Mountains of Madness
Call of Cthulhu
The Death Gate Cycle series
Dragonlance series
07-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Find