Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would it be possible?
xPICKLEMONSTER Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Would it be possible?

(08-20-2012, 08:09 PM)Kman Wrote: Actually, if you're prepared to have your brain slowly melt out of your head you could do it with planes and not have to use a single new model. Of course, like I said, doing that legitimately would make you go crazy and you wouldn't be able to have it rock back and forth, but you'd be surprised how much you can do with planes. Just as an example, for the last few days I've been working on a barn, and this entire thing is made completely out of planes and welders.
Spoiler below!

[Image: qpp4yw.png]

I dunno, just a possibility.
Turn it upside down and you got a boat : P

[Image: monthebiffybackgroundss.jpg]
Voice Actor in
Poisonous
Confusion

08-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Well that's indeed quite amazing, but...why on earth would you do that if it would take you less than an hour to create the same model in any 3D program?! And I think a whole ship with sails, masts and rigging (I mean the ropes not an animation rig Wink ) would indeed make your brain melt quite painfully ^^
08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Well, of course you can't make the whole thing out of them, but getting the basic shapes done and then doing some trickery with the default assets works very well. I'd say as long as you can get the basic shape of the boat done the rest wouldn't be too hard to do with using other models cleverly. My point was that you don't necessarily need to have modeling skills to do something like that.

Oh also, fun fact, that thing currently has 288 planes in it Big Grin

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM by Kman.)
08-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Website Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

Threads: 20

(08-20-2012, 08:50 PM)Kman Wrote: Well, of course you can't make the whole thing out of them, but getting the basic shapes done and then doing some trickery with the default assets works very well. I'd say as long as you can get the basic shape of the boat done the rest wouldn't be too hard to do with using other models cleverly. My point was that you don't necessarily need to have modeling skills to do something like that.

Oh also, fun fact, that thing currently has 288 planes in it Big Grin
... and I thought I was doing some sick stuff when I made my little machines,..

Confusion: a Custom Story - Ch1 for play!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15477.html
About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
08-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

I thought about it for a while, but ships are quite small compared to a castle or your usual Amnesia settings. Perhaps it would have to be a story about the ship visiting separate places and the experiences along the way and/or at each place.

08-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: I thought about it for a while, but ships are quite small compared to a castle or your usual Amnesia settings. Perhaps it would have to be a story about the ship visiting separate places and the experiences along the way and/or at each place.
...naah...the small size and simplicity of the environment is the beauty of it! I mean if you can make an interesting full-length movie that plays entirely in a single Phone Booth, surely you can make an intersting story on a ship, right? That's what I meant with restrictions fueling ones creativity!

I think it could create a very striking atmosphere - a ghost ship, silently floating in the middle of a dead calm, surrounded by thick fog that slowly creeps closer and closer... and whatever it is that's killed the crew, it's on there with you and your only escape would be to drown in the cold, dark ocean. Having the ship move somewhere else would just kill that atmosphere imo Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012, 02:01 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-22-2012, 02:00 AM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

(08-21-2012, 10:22 PM)palistov Wrote: I thought about it for a while, but ships are quite small compared to a castle or your usual Amnesia settings. Perhaps it would have to be a story about the ship visiting separate places and the experiences along the way and/or at each place.
i don't think ships have to be small, just take the titanic, it's probably bigger then the most castles. i know, he wrote something about old galleons.. but i think, dark old machine rooms on an empty titanic would be also an awesome and scary environment!
i remember, someone was doing a titanic mod... probably just the inside... but maybe you're able to model just a few stairs and stuff like this for the outside environment, do a very lowpoly ship model and take fog to cover it a bit.
then you have a nice new outside area, (maybe build out of planes, i would prefer blender or maya), add inside areas, invent a good story and you'll get an awesome mod o.o

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
08-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Find
Varian Offline

Threads: 2

[Image: 2vvl8bc.png] I tried, took me about an hour, failed.
08-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(08-28-2012, 06:45 PM)Varian Wrote: [Image: 2vvl8bc.png] I tried, took me about an hour, failed.
The boat itself looks nice, but it is a bit strange since it is so empty. I wouldn't be capable of creating a boat that is as great as that.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Website Find
Varian Offline

Threads: 2

(08-28-2012, 07:06 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 06:45 PM)Varian Wrote: [Image: 2vvl8bc.png] I tried, took me about an hour, failed.
The boat itself looks nice, but it is a bit strange since it is so empty. I wouldn't be capable of creating a boat that is as great as that.
I know it's empty, I had idea's to put on it, I had started rooms below deck too, I just thought it didnt look so good, so I just gave up, I might look for a metal look texture, and try a great big ship Smile
08-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Find