Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would it be possible?
xPICKLEMONSTER Offline

Threads: 13
Would it be possible?

I don't think anyone has made or suggested the idea of making a custom story that is based on a boat.

Like a galleon in the 1800's. just an idea I've had on my mind and because it hasn't been done i assume it is not possible. Making waves might be impossible but a story on a boat sounds fine.

What do you think?

[Image: monthebiffybackgroundss.jpg]
Voice Actor in
Poisonous
Confusion

08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Would it be possible?

There's no reason why it wouldn't be possible.

08-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(08-20-2012, 05:30 PM)Obliviator27 Wrote: There's no reason why it wouldn't be possible.
You just need to have all the needed models and stuff.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Website Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Well on the plus side, it would give the CS a relatively small, clearly defined but still logical environment which I think could make for a short, but very rich experience. Tight restrictions like that can really help in focussing ones creativity which often makes for a more interesting and better thought-out result.

On the downside, you'd need a ton of custom assets. I think there's barely anything from Amnesia you can reuse without it looking really weird, at least when it comes to the outside areas of the ship. And modeling THIS would be quite a challenge...
08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(08-20-2012, 05:39 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Well on the plus side, it would give the CS a relatively small, clearly defined but still logical environment which I think could make for a short, but very rich experience. Tight restrictions like that can really help in focussing ones creativity which often makes for a more interesting and better thought-out result.

On the downside, you'd need a ton of custom assets. I think there's barely anything from Amnesia you can reuse without it looking really weird, at least when it comes to the outside areas of the ship. And modeling THIS would be quite a challenge...
The modelling part might take a really long time, but doesn't mean that it is impossible. You just need to put a lot of effort into that.

You also need to find a use for it, though.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Website Find
xPICKLEMONSTER Offline

i was thinking more of the effects at sea, such as the boat moving up and down like it would in the ocean. You wouldn't need to look at the whole thing as you would be on it rather than looking at from land or whatever.

Because it requires so much work, we should probably wait till ammfp before anyone attempts it. Hopefully there will be a boat we could use in ammfp

Voice Actor in
Poisonous
Confusion

08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(08-20-2012, 05:48 PM)xPICKLEMONSTER Wrote: i was thinking more of the effects at sea, such as the boat moving up and down like it would in the ocean. You wouldn't need to look at the whole thing as you would be on it rather than looking at from land or whatever.

Because it requires so much work, we should probably wait till ammfp before anyone attempts it. Hopefully there will be a boat we could use in ammfp
That is also complicated. But with proper scripting, it could be done.

08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Website Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/k8F3UE9qFsg[/video]
Seriously though, good luck!

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 06:27 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
08-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Find
xPICKLEMONSTER Offline

(08-20-2012, 06:26 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: [video=youtube]http://youtu.be/k8F3UE9qFsg[/video]
Seriously though, good luck!
ma flipy flopies

Voice Actor in
Poisonous
Confusion

08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Actually, if you're prepared to have your brain slowly melt out of your head you could do it with planes and not have to use a single new model. Of course, like I said, doing that legitimately would make you go crazy and you wouldn't be able to have it rock back and forth, but you'd be surprised how much you can do with planes. Just as an example, for the last few days I've been working on a barn, and this entire thing is made completely out of planes and welders.
Spoiler below!

[Image: qpp4yw.png]

I dunno, just a possibility.

Posting Freak
08-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Website Find