Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[IDEA] punishment for look at the monter's face in Amnesia
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
RE: [IDEA] punishment for look at the monter's face in Amnesia

(08-30-2012, 04:23 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 04:10 PM)Zaffre Wrote: A punishment for looking at a monster could be something along the lines of SCP-372, or Peripheral Jumper. It always stays in your blind spots so you can never see it. When you turn, you just see it flicker out of sight. Something like that would make me terrified and I'd probably quit the first time I saw it. But in the end, the creature doesn't do any damage to you, just stares at you out of sight, but not out of mind. The punishment for this could be sanity drain. I'd like to see something like this in a custom story.
Coding that would be difficult. But not impossible.

And it would take a long time to create some kind of model for that thingy.
They could make it like a Cheshire Cat, where you see only its eyes and smile in the darkness, with the exception that when you look at it, they vanish. They could also have it that it will always stay out of the light to make you paranoid about keeping the light off.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 04:38 PM by Zaffre.)
08-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(08-30-2012, 04:37 PM)Zaffre Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 04:23 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote:
(08-30-2012, 04:10 PM)Zaffre Wrote: A punishment for looking at a monster could be something along the lines of SCP-372, or Peripheral Jumper. It always stays in your blind spots so you can never see it. When you turn, you just see it flicker out of sight. Something like that would make me terrified and I'd probably quit the first time I saw it. But in the end, the creature doesn't do any damage to you, just stares at you out of sight, but not out of mind. The punishment for this could be sanity drain. I'd like to see something like this in a custom story.
Coding that would be difficult. But not impossible.

And it would take a long time to create some kind of model for that thingy.
They could make it like a Cheshire Cat, where you see only its eyes and smile in the darkness, with the exception that when you look at it, they vanish. They could also have it that it will always stay out of the light to make you paranoid about keeping the light off.
It is like the phobia of darkness in reality. And that would make things so much freakier...

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Website Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

I would generally like a monster that fears the light to make a reappearance. That section in Black Plague, where you had to stay in the light or that thing in the walls would attack you, was pretty intense. It did suffer from being a bit too "gamey" though I think - when the flickering lights started forming that island of light that you had to follow, I was thinking to myself that this felt a bit too constructed and too much like a challenge in timing and dexterity.

But making the phobia of darkness more "real"? That sounds good. Having insanity as an atmosphere feature is great, but there has to be something to make the player fear his own insanity more. Also I think, the player should not be able to see how much sanity he has left - it makes it feel too much like a game mechanic again. Maybe he shouldn't even know there's a sanity meter ticking in the background...

Instead, decreased sanity could make the "thing" appear more often in the corner of his eye, or make hallucinations appear more often. They don't even have to be monsters - they could be stuff like environment assets appearing or disappearing when you aren't looking (not as a jumpscare of course!), doors that suddenly lead somewhere else, shadows of objects that arent there, things that you probably aren't even noticing most of the time, but that are slowly putting you in the mindset that something is wrong.
08-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(08-30-2012, 06:33 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: I would generally like a monster that fears the light to make a reappearance. That section in Black Plague, where you had to stay in the light or that thing in the walls would attack you, was pretty intense. It did suffer from being a bit too "gamey" though I think - when the flickering lights started forming that island of light that you had to follow, I was thinking to myself that this felt a bit too constructed and too much like a challenge in timing and dexterity.

But making the phobia of darkness more "real"? That sounds good. Having insanity as an atmosphere feature is great, but there has to be something to make the player fear his own insanity more. Also I think, the player should not be able to see how much sanity he has left - it makes it feel too much like a game mechanic again. Maybe he shouldn't even know there's a sanity meter ticking in the background...

Instead, decreased sanity could make the "thing" appear more often in the corner of his eye, or make hallucinations appear more often. They don't even have to be monsters - they could be stuff like environment assets appearing or disappearing when you aren't looking (not as a jumpscare of course!), doors that suddenly lead somewhere else, shadows of objects that arent there, things that you probably aren't even noticing most of the time, but that are slowly putting you in the mindset that something is wrong.
A great sanity meter I've seen in a game is "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth". The sanity meter was outstanding back in that game (my opinion).

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Website Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

(08-30-2012, 06:33 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: I would generally like a monster that fears the light to make a reappearance. That section in Black Plague, where you had to stay in the light or that thing in the walls would attack you, was pretty intense. It did suffer from being a bit too "gamey" though I think - when the flickering lights started forming that island of light that you had to follow, I was thinking to myself that this felt a bit too constructed and too much like a challenge in timing and dexterity.

The question is; is that thing you just see an item, something in the environment, or the monster? You'd be tearing your hair out because of the stress.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
08-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(08-30-2012, 06:33 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Instead, decreased sanity could make the "thing" appear more often in the corner of his eye, or make hallucinations appear more often. They don't even have to be monsters - they could be stuff like environment assets appearing or disappearing when you aren't looking (not as a jumpscare of course!), doors that suddenly lead somewhere else, shadows of objects that arent there, things that you probably aren't even noticing most of the time, but that are slowly putting you in the mindset that something is wrong.
*Ponders for a moment* Hmmm...

08-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Rarity <3

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

A pony post? On an AMNESIA forum?
[Image: b277u.png]
I'm joking, keep your shirt on

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM by Zaffre.)
08-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

I'm sorry! Please don't kill yourself!!!

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

(08-30-2012, 07:49 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: I'm sorry! Please don't kill yourself!!!
Bang! The ZombiU trailer is so easily exploited it's funny
[Image: FF4i3.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM by Zaffre.)
08-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Find