Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Managing your dev team online!
Chap Offline

Threads: 16
Managing your dev team online!

So I'm working on a Custom Story at the moment with one other main person. I do the level design, he does the scripting but we both do the concepts, planning, story development etc. Anyway, for a long time we were using Google Docs to manage our task out between us and keep up to date with what we were both doing, fixing or working on next.

I'm not sure how many other modders do this but we stumbled across a really awesome tool to help with team task management. It's called Asana and it really helps us manage ourselves online which can be hard without being with your work mates in person. You can make endless lists of task and add descriptions, due dates and assignees. It helps us a ton. Oh and if that didn't sell it enough...You can login using your google account =D!

So anyway I thought anyone else out there in a similar situation to us may also benefit from this site- asana.com

If it wouldn't help, it would still be interesting to see how other people manage their teams online. =)

[Image: 20643.png]
09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Managing your dev team online!

We (meaning Timorem) are almost constantly in a Skype call. For a while, it was pretty chaotic as we planned things, for some of our members are Scandinavian. We managed to get the project idea together, and are constantly checking up on each others work through screenshots and such. We then pool our collective resources into a Dropbox folder and the other members can pull from there.

09-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Find
Chap Offline

Ah Skype, ofcourse =P

I don't use it so much since the guy I'm closely working with is actually my flatmate, but we're often dotted about the country and not to mention he works nights so our sleeping pattern couldn't be more different. It's quite surprising though that it can still be so efficient with services such as these, damn the net is awesome =P

09-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

We've used Hostedredmine in the past for a student project. It works quite similarly, you can make task lists, assign tasks and features, prioritize, update them with how many % are done, make notes, etc... Asset Management and - most importantly - backup was done via SVN or Perforce. Being able to make a rollback to an earlier version if something goes wrong saved our asses countless times...^^
09-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

My first collaboration was actually in-house... specifically my friend's house There were a few of us working on a 48-hour animation. We worked in my friend's room. There were two others on skype call.

It was a mess. I never did a 48 hour thing before and my animation skills were rusty, and highschool-level.

But yeah, Skype is pretty useful for stuff, and free. That sells me right there. XD

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Find
Chap Offline

Yeah, the worst thing about working with people you know is that if they're friends they tend to get excited when in a group and although you're there to do something creative, it often turns into a youtube spree... Luckily it's normally quite easy to tell who are the people serious about work and who are the people that want to get credit without doing the work.

09-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Hehe, yeah. The friend's brother was playing portal the whole time.

We never did release that. Mostly because the animation was a joke. (Um... hehe..)

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
09-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Find
Cyfiawn Offline

(09-11-2012, 12:11 AM)Chap Wrote: Luckily it's normally quite easy to tell who are the people serious about work and who are the people that want to get credit without doing the work.

I'm onto you... -_-

The Four Horsemen - Custom Story
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-four-horsemen
06-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Here in school we use this - https://www.pivotaltracker.com

Best damn thing for this kind of stuff, I'm also going to force my fellow Timorem members to use this soon.
06-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

You can pivot my tracker any time you want Traggey

06-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Find