Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread

Alrighty, time for another thread for us to express our opinions in. The title should speak for itself really. Just post anything games, movies, or anything else if you can think of it that is in your opinion vastly underrated, or overrated.

I'll leave the actual "definition" of overrated, and underrated for you all to interpret on your own. As long as you think something is getting too much praise, or too little praise you can post it here no worries! It's also preferable, but not completely necessary that you add on a reason to why you made such a decision.

If you disagree with a reason someone hands out, feel free to speak out against it, and discuss. Keep it at that level though. I'll have no mud slinging in any threads of mine.

Yeah so basically go =]

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012, 10:20 AM by Kreekakon.)
10-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Find
wolfmaster1231 Offline

Threads: 43
RE: The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread

Cod Is overrated

10-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(10-10-2012, 10:28 AM)wolfmaster1231 Wrote: Cod Is overrated
I can agree to this

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012, 10:35 AM by Mine Turtle.)
10-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

The Avengers is overrated. It holds a 8.4 on IMDB and 92% on RT when it deserves a 6.5 or 7 at best. Why?

1. The story is lazy and predictable. Who the fuck are the Chintauri or whatever anyway? Why couldn't Loki just be the bad guy?

2. The CGI is awful. I can't believe how fake it looks. Even for Hollywood standards these effects are bad.

3. The writing is among the worst I've ever heard in recent years. The dialogue is awful, and the humor is really juvenile. I only seriously laughed once in the entire movie and that was the "Puny God" scene, which is one of the worst scenes ironically. Because …

4. Total betrayal of the Hulk character. Whoever wrote this movie doesn't understand Hulk. His entire character is that he has this incredible power that he does not want and has no control over. When he becomes the Hulk, his body becomes totally compelled by this uncontrollable rage and he will destroy anything and anyone that is unlucky enough to be in his vicinity. Mark Ruffalo really tried to get this across which I respect, but almost all of his Hulk scenes are written contrary to his character, which no actor can make the most of.

The "I'm always angry" scene marks the first time I've LITERALLY facepalmed over a movie. Hey douchebags, don't you think if he was always angry he would always be the Hulk? Him having the power to change into the Hulk whenever he wants makes his character completely uninteresting. He's just a big green guy with super strength, not a character. Plus the scenes where he punches Thor and kicks the shit out of Loki are all wrong. If Hulk started to pound Loki into the ground he would not stop until he was dead (same with Thor). I dunno what they could have done with the retarded script but I was so mad about this, seeing him working with the Avengers, jumping off of buildings and making coordinated attacks, and standing COMPLETELY STILL during a dialogue scene. What the hell were they thinking?

5. You think anybody cares about the asshole SHIELD guy Coleson (or whatever)? Giving him false depth by making him collect cards and shit does not make the audience like him anymore (unless you're an idiot). I felt nothing when he died, because he doesn't have any personality.

I have many more problems with this movie but none I care to talk about right now. I have no idea how such a sloppy piece of entertainment can be lauded to this extent. 8.4? Really? It was an entertaining film to some extent, but it was very poorly written and executed.
10-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Find
wolfmaster1231 Offline

Threads: 43

(10-10-2012, 10:50 AM)Bridge Wrote: The Avengers is overrated. It holds a 8.4 on IMDB and 92% on RT when it deserves a 6.5 or 7 at best. Why?

1. The story is lazy and predictable. Who the fuck are the Chintauri or whatever anyway? Why couldn't Loki just be the bad guy?

2. The CGI is awful. I can't believe how fake it looks. Even for Hollywood standards these effects are bad.

3. The writing is among the worst I've ever heard in recent years. The dialogue is awful, and the humor is really juvenile. I only seriously laughed once in the entire movie and that was the "Puny God" scene, which is one of the worst scenes ironically. Because …

4. Total betrayal of the Hulk character. Whoever wrote this movie doesn't understand Hulk. His entire character is that he has this incredible power that he does not want and has no control over. When he becomes the Hulk, his body becomes totally compelled by this uncontrollable rage and he will destroy anything and anyone that is unlucky enough to be in his vicinity. Mark Ruffalo really tried to get this across which I respect, but almost all of his Hulk scenes are written contrary to his character, which no actor can make the most of.

The "I'm always angry" scene marks the first time I've LITERALLY facepalmed over a movie. Hey douchebags, don't you think if he was always angry he would always be the Hulk? Him having the power to change into the Hulk whenever he wants makes his character completely uninteresting. He's just a big green guy with super strength, not a character. Plus the scenes where he punches Thor and kicks the shit out of Loki are all wrong. If Hulk started to pound Loki into the ground he would not stop until he was dead (same with Thor). I dunno what they could have done with the retarded script but I was so mad about this, seeing him working with the Avengers, jumping off of buildings and making coordinated attacks, and standing COMPLETELY STILL during a dialogue scene. What the hell were they thinking?

5. You think anybody cares about the asshole SHIELD guy Coleson (or whatever)? Giving him false depth by making him collect cards and shit does not make the audience like him anymore (unless you're an idiot). I felt nothing when he died, because he doesn't have any personality.

I have many more problems with this movie but none I care to talk about right now. I have no idea how such a sloppy piece of entertainment can be lauded to this extent. 8.4? Really? It was an entertaining film to some extent, but it was very poorly written and executed.
And why is thor in the movie hes not even a super hero hes a god its stupid

10-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(10-10-2012, 10:50 AM)Bridge Wrote: 5. You think anybody cares about the asshole SHIELD guy Coleson (or whatever)? Giving him false depth by making him collect cards and shit does not make the audience like him anymore (unless you're an idiot). I felt nothing when he died, because he doesn't have any personality.
I'm in a hurry to head out, so I'll just throw out a quick statement regarding this.

If you watched any of the previous Marvel movies. Coulson is an extremely witty side character. He never participates super directly, but he makes nice like quips here, and there, and in my opinion he's a very likeable character for the audience. So, in a sense, for his death to have maximum impact in the Avengers, you have to have known of him in previous movies.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(10-10-2012, 10:56 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(10-10-2012, 10:50 AM)Bridge Wrote: 5. You think anybody cares about the asshole SHIELD guy Coleson (or whatever)? Giving him false depth by making him collect cards and shit does not make the audience like him anymore (unless you're an idiot). I felt nothing when he died, because he doesn't have any personality.
I'm in a hurry to head out, so I'll just throw out a quick statement regarding this.

If you watched any of the previous Marvel movies. Coulson is an extremely witty side character. He never participates super directly, but he makes nice like quips here, and there, and in my opinion he's a very likeable character for the audience. So, in a sense, for his death to have maximum impact in the Avengers, you have to have known of him in previous movies.
I watched all of them and I didn't care for his character at all. I don't like the actor that portrays him and I don't think his lines have ever been all that witty (especially not in Avengers).
10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Psychonauts is underrated as hell. Man that game is good.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
10-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

Overrated COD
super highly overrated: WoW (coming from an actual WoW player)

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
10-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

To contribute some more, Grim Fandango is one of the most underrated games ever. The main reason is it didn't survive last generation because now it is now impossible to get digitally (I still have the original jewel case somewhere, and I have a limited re-release DVD that I bought - what luck!). It has a great story, a huge amount of charm and a great soundtrack. I'd recommend that game to anybody.

Also, I personally find Splinter Cell: Conviction to be massively overrated. You can read my Gamespot review here if you want to know why.

EDIT: Underrated isn't a great word because it is universally recognized by everyone who's played it as a masterpiece of the P&C adventure genre, but it is still not very well known.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM by Bridge.)
10-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Find