Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Deadliest gas on the world?
Dutton Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Deadliest gas on the world?

"Oxygen alone won't combust without a spark. Think about it -- ambulances and hospitals often carry around canisters of 100% oxygen, and they are usually just fine. But they do have to be careful about keeping sparks away -- the "no smoking" signs in hospitals aren't just for preventing lung cancer.Like many highly exothermic reactions, the combustion of oxygen has an activation energy -- there needs to be an initial bit of energy introduced to the system to get the reaction going.Happy breathing," - The Science Line

[url]http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=954[/url]

[Image: 15isy6C]
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 08:19 AM by Dutton.)
10-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Find
wolfmaster1231 Offline

Threads: 43

Carbon monoxide Its the gas that comes from cars you know in china there is many death causes of cancer which could be the cars fault there is more cancer deaths in industry countrys then in poor countrys the poor dont have cars so it could be a connection Tongue

10-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: It's far more dangerous to try to ignite hydrogen than it is to ignite oxygen. You'd need an absurd amount of oxygen concentrated in your lungs to become ignited from the inside. Having a high concentration of hydrogen in your lungs would probably cause your chest cavity to burst.

All speculation, though, as I have no concrete proof that you'll explode.
Well, yes, Hydrogen and Oxygen together are a highly explosive mixture that should be kept away from sparks. (It won't explode on its own though, it still needs initial energy) Hydrogen alone without any oxygen around will not explode, not even with a spark, because there is no second "partner" for the chemical reaction.
Breathing it is not really that dangerous apart from the risk of explosion btw, I've seen my chemistry teacher do it as a trick because it makes you speak funny, just like helium ^^

Also, yes, when Hydrogen(H2) and Oxygen(O2) react (in an explosion), the result is H2O - water. I shit you not, water can be created in an explosion.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-11-2012, 10:23 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: It's far more dangerous to try to ignite hydrogen than it is to ignite oxygen. You'd need an absurd amount of oxygen concentrated in your lungs to become ignited from the inside. Having a high concentration of hydrogen in your lungs would probably cause your chest cavity to burst.

All speculation, though, as I have no concrete proof that you'll explode.
Well, yes, Hydrogen and Oxygen together are a highly explosive mixture that should be kept away from sparks. (It won't explode on its own though, it still needs initial energy) Hydrogen alone without any oxygen around will not explode, not even with a spark, because there is no second "partner" for the chemical reaction.
Breathing it is not really that dangerous apart from the risk of explosion btw, I've seen my chemistry teacher do it as a trick because it makes you speak funny, just like helium ^^

Also, yes, when Hydrogen(H2) and Oxygen(O2) react (in an explosion), the result is H2O - water. I shit you not, water can be created in an explosion.
There is only one oxygen atom in water. Otherwise water would be H2O2. Plus Hydrogen is H and Oxygen O. O2 and H2 are dihydrogen and dioxide respectively.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 01:54 PM by Bridge.)
10-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Sorry, I'm a bit unfamiliar with the correct terminology in english...so I might have created some misunderstandings there. (Also I don't have those lower case numbers on my keyboard so I can't write them under the atom symbols as usual Wink ) What I meant was this:

An Oxygen atom is O. Oxygen (the gas) however consists of Oxygen molecules which are O2, because one oxygen molecule consists of two oxygen atoms.
Likewise, a hydrogen atom is H, hydrogen gas consists of hydrogen molecules --> H2.

(While the correct terminology may in fact be dihydrogen and dioxide respectively, my german - english dictionary tells me that the gases are still simply called hydrogen and oxygen.)

The correct formula for the reaction of hydrogen and oxygen to water would therefore be:

2* H2 + O2 = 2* H2O (two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen molecule make two water molecules)

[Image: h2o_2_E.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 04:07 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
10-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Phosgene, Carbon monoxide or Nitrogen.
10-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-11-2012, 03:59 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Sorry, I'm a bit unfamiliar with the correct terminology in english...so I might have created some misunderstandings there. (Also I don't have those lower case numbers on my keyboard so I can't write them under the atom symbols as usual Wink ) What I meant was this:

An Oxygen atom is O. Oxygen (the gas) however consists of Oxygen molecules which are O2, because one oxygen molecule consists of two oxygen atoms.
Likewise, a hydrogen atom is H, hydrogen gas consists of hydrogen molecules --> H2.

(While the correct terminology may in fact be dihydrogen and dioxide respectively, my german - english dictionary tells me that the gases are still simply called hydrogen and oxygen.)

The correct formula for the reaction of hydrogen and oxygen to water would therefore be:

2* H2 + O2 = 2* H2O (two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen molecule make two water molecules)

[Image: h2o_2_E.jpg]
Bitte, ich totally screwed up. But how can H2 and O2 form H2O? Seems to me like an oxygen atom would get lost in the process.
10-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(10-11-2012, 05:33 PM)Bridge Wrote: Bitte, ich totally screwed up. But how can H2 and O2 form H2O? Seems to me like an oxygen atom would get lost in the process.
That's right, if you have an equal amount of oxygen and hydrogen, then half of the oxygen will not be used and will just float around without a job. It takes two moles of hydrogen and one mole of oxygen to create water without any leftovers. ^^

^(;,;)^
10-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Find