Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Outlast
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
RE: Outlast

(09-05-2013, 12:57 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote: Shameless thievery of Frictional Games' ideas? Wouldn't that make Frictional Games guilty of "stealing" from the first adventure games? Or every platformer after Mario bros. guilty of stealing from Mario? Every shooter after Wolfenstein guilty of plagiarism? Etc etc etc.?
Pure stealing or copypasting without EVOLVING ideas is pointless. Frictional are evolving ideas, at least they are trying to, nevertheless if ideas are innovative or old-well-known. Outlast is not evolving anything at all, just parasiting.

But, please, consider it's just my own personal opinion. I do not insist that I am right. I may be wrong or I may change my mind, when I finish the whole game through. And there's no goal to insult anyone for no reasons.

And what is also important I am not a fan of Frictional or any other studio. I really love a lot of very different games of different genres, made by different studios, no matter indie or major.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 10:53 AM by Alex Ros.)
09-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Website Find
Derxor Offline

Threads: 1

So I just played a bit before leaving on vacation, I can't really give a good review scince I played in full daylight but I have to say good graphics and pretty scary I guess. Nothing really new, but at least it will definetly get you scared and imo it's a good thing, so go check it out, Ill put a couple pf hours in to ot before I give my full review once I come back from vacation on the ninth

My youtube channel where I do some guitar covers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC84Ttln...muSOA0bFHA
09-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Website Find
summit Offline

Threads: 20
AAMFP in Outlast

Hello guys, I was watching the walktrough of the game named "Outlast".

When the starting;
Spoiler below!

A guy says "Little Pig" and catches you. And there are "pig" words in some notes.

So do you think that these are references to AAMFP?
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM by summit.)
09-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Find
Oscar House Offline

Threads: 3
RE: AAMFP in Outlast

Yes.

[Image: 2exldzm.png]
09-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Find
summit Offline

Threads: 20

(09-05-2013, 03:39 PM)Oscar House Wrote: Yes.
Good one, I watched more, and I saw more "pig" words.
09-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

(09-05-2013, 10:46 AM)Alex Ros Wrote:
(09-05-2013, 12:57 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote: Shameless thievery of Frictional Games' ideas? Wouldn't that make Frictional Games guilty of "stealing" from the first adventure games? Or every platformer after Mario bros. guilty of stealing from Mario? Every shooter after Wolfenstein guilty of plagiarism? Etc etc etc.?
Pure stealing or copypasting without EVOLVING ideas is pointless. Frictional are evolving ideas, at least they are trying to, nevertheless if ideas are innovative or old-well-known. Outlast is not evolving anything at all, just parasiting.

But, please, consider it's just my own personal opinion. I do not insist that I am right. I may be wrong or I may change my mind, when I finish the whole game through. And there's no goal to insult anyone for no reasons.

And what is also important I am not a fan of Frictional or any other studio. I really love a lot of very different games of different genres, made by different studios, no matter indie or major.

I didn't insult you.

How did FG evolve the ideas? They are pretty much a first person adventure game...with horror. Physics puzzles (which they didn't create), note/lore reading (from the adventure games of yesteryear), and that's it really.

The gameplay in The Last Of Us isn't terribly innovative. Survival elements have been in games before it but it's in the HOW they use to narrative and gameplay mechanics to tell the story through exposition and gameplay.

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow has many elements from other games, that doesn't make it a wannabe.

And the post Symphony Of Night vania games borrow HEAVILY from Metroid. So much that they're called Metroidvania.

I can't know if Outlast feels like a wannabe till I play it, but the whole ''copy pasting'' thing seems to me like such a knee jerk reaction to me and thus it's a pet peeve of mine.

I understand it's your opinion but still, felt I needed to let my opinion known.
09-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Find
Derxor Offline

Of course not, it's a totally different game, if they had the same developers yes, but amnesia and outlast are competing for horror game of the year achievement so i guess that kind of makes them enemies, unless anyone knows of an FG developer wgo has actually spoken qbout outlast and FGs opinion on the game

My youtube channel where I do some guitar covers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC84Ttln...muSOA0bFHA
09-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Yeah no, not related.
09-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

(09-05-2013, 03:45 PM)Derxor Wrote: Of course not, it's a totally different game, if they had the same developers yes, but amnesia and outlast are competing for horror game of the year achievement so i guess that kind of makes them enemies, unless anyone knows of an FG developer wgo has actually spoken qbout outlast and FGs opinion on the game

FG wrote on FB a few days ago, that they like Outlast and recommend it. So I think for FG passion goes over competition.
09-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Pretty sure "pig" and all its synonyms and what have you are pretty universally used...everywhere.
09-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Find