Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Anybody know what horror games are coming in 2013?
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Anybody know what horror games are coming in 2013?

(11-05-2012, 11:19 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Dead Space 3 is coming next year. But as for the Alien colonial marines game. Dead Space 3 is hardly an actual horror game.
I personally think Dead Space is the most horror that you can squeeze out of a Doom-shooter. They did a really, really good job with the series. I just wish it wasn't a Doom-shooter.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

11-06-2012, 02:53 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(11-06-2012, 02:53 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(11-05-2012, 11:19 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Dead Space 3 is coming next year. But as for the Alien colonial marines game. Dead Space 3 is hardly an actual horror game.
I personally think Dead Space is the most horror that you can squeeze out of a Doom-shooter. They did a really, really good job with the series. I just wish it wasn't a Doom-shooter.
The Doom/Quake monsters, although can be scary, aren't to scary when you've got a BFG or a Lightning Gun in your hands. Now if the weapon only succeeded in making the monster mad and didn't harm it, then you'd be scared.
11-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: The Doom/Quake monsters, although can be scary, aren't to scary when you've got a BFG or a Lightning Gun in your hands. Now if the weapon only succeeded in making the monster mad and didn't harm it, then you'd be scared.
Yeah I think that's what he meant. Dead Space is the most horror a shooter can get, but that doesn't change the fact that a shooter doesn' work well as a horror game in the first place Smile

Although I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how scary Condemned: Criminal Origins was, even though it featured combat. It was nowhere near the pants-wetting helpless fear Amnesia induces, but it had a certain...different kind of horror.
Wielding the same crude melee weapons as your opponents and fighting almost exclusively against other humans gave it a certain brutal realism that I found very engaging. Smashing some crazy junkie's teeth in with a piece of wood in some abandoned but otherwise normal Metro tunnel is probably the most realistic scenario one can get in terms of horror. I was almost disappointed when the demons started appearing near the end... Sad

Wait - why am I talkin about condemned here? Oh right, because I can't name any upoming horror games. Maaaan we really have to take what we can get in that genre don't we -.-
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012, 12:32 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Find
Dave Hopman Offline

Threads: 1

Hi everyone!

There will be a great game coming out in december 2013, but only if it gets funded on kickstarter.

Some of you, may already know the game from Desura, it's free to play there. It's called ERIE.

The free version on Desura is only a prototype. The Developers want to make a Full version of it, which will of course, look and play much better.

The funding isn't going well at all and the developers need more backers.

You can find he project here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mla/erie If you're interested, please pledge!

Thanks!
11-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-07-2012, 02:57 PM)Dave Hopman Wrote: Hi everyone!

There will be a great game coming out in december 2013, but only if it gets funded on kickstarter.

Some of you, may already know the game from Desura, it's free to play there. It's called ERIE.

The free version on Desura is only a prototype. The Developers want to make a Full version of it, which will of course, look and play much better.

You can find he project here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mla/erie If you're interested, please pledge!

Thanks!
Don't think I'm able to contribute at this time, but from just reading a little on the page the game seems promising. I will have to, when not busy, try the demo. Good find Smile
11-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

The Paranormal-Mod is going to leave the Beta-phase next year, if I remember right.
Don't know if you know the game, it's a mix of weird things, really weird/sometimes completely stupid jumpscares and just more weird things... weird people in the mirror... mh.

You may take a look at it.
http://www.moddb.com/games/paranormal/do...al-beta-40

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
11-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Find
Dave Hopman Offline

Threads: 1

(11-07-2012, 07:05 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:

Thanks!
Don't think I'm able to contribute at this time, but from just reading a little on the page the game seems promising. I will have to, when not busy, try the demo. Good find Smile
It would be a shame if this game isn't funded, so could you help by spreading the word? Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to Amnesia:AMFP, BTW. I just finished Amnesia:TDD and it's the best game I ever played! Asylum and Outlast are going to be very good too, I think.
11-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

In my opinion, action and fun oriented games like Dead Space, Doom, Quake etc are no horror games, same with Dead Island.
11-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-07-2012, 08:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: In my opinion, action and fun oriented games like Dead Space, Doom, Quake etc are no horror games, same with Dead Island.
Speaking of Quake, I've heard that Quake 5 is in the works and would be a re-make/re-boot of the Quake 1 game.

It would be a shame if this game isn't funded, so could you help by spreading the word? Thanks!
[/quote]

I created a thread to spread the word here http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-19130.html
11-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

Thanks!
Erie has a good basic concept (of monster chases), but it needs much better mapping for it to work. Turning narrow corners only to bump into a jumpscare, isn't good gameplay, and neither is mapping so stale that the main tool is a spraycan to be able to tell areas apart. I'm sure that some real life areas can be just as stale, but the player will get bored of it.
Also Erie is like Slender: It has some written story, but it only features a single game mechanic: Running from a monster. That's as complex of a challenge as Minesweeper.
Good luck to the kickstarter, but I don't think the programmers are skilled enough to develop Erie into a good game.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

11-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Find