Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Starcraft Thread - SPOILERS for Heart of the Swarm inside
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1
RE: The Starcraft Thread

(03-17-2013, 06:32 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: In almost every mission, I can just first macro up two bases, and then mass Roaches, and Hydras, and then I just steamroll everything in my path. Sometimes I throw ultralisks in there too. I don't get Zerglings much in Terran mission because they usually melt away near instantly against Hellbats, or Tanks.

I actually made a conscious effort not to do this because it was too easy. I used a lot of Infestors and Swarm Hosts.
03-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

I just bought Heart of the Swarm and WoL

I'm Durandal, anyone wanna play? I'm kinda noob if that's okay(not newb)

Also Torrasque Strain Ultralisks with lifesteal are the most broken thing ever, so hard to kill and can steamroll just about anything
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2013, 09:40 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
03-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Website Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

HotS was great fun and a great game but it felt a little easy. Roach + Hydra or even just mass Hydra destroys just about anything. The only time I ever died was when (big plot spoiler)
Spoiler below!
Kerrigan was transforming into the primal Queen of Blades and the red pack converged on me nonstop.
Also, that ending. First part was cool, but that part where (GIGANTIC plot spoiler)
Spoiler below!
Kerrigan just flies away
makes absolutely no sense.

So while we're at it, let's post the research paths we took!

Zergling: Raptorling
Baneling: Hunter
Roach: Vile
Hyralisk: Impaler
Ultralisk: Torrasque
Mutalisk: Viper
Swarm Host: Creeper
03-19-2013, 03:01 AM
Find

How does the ending make no sense.

Spoiler below!
She's a being with super psychic powers, it's probably a safe bet that someone who can blow apart doors made from an alloy that makes steel look soft, create lightning and do any number of things that Kerrigan can, is more then capable of harnessing the enormous psionic network that is the zerg along with all her other psychic subordinates to fly.

It's really not that much of a stretch, I mean come on, this is an IP that borrows(rips off of if you prefer that term) a lot from WARHAMMER fucking 40K...and the zerg are a race that so regularly break the laws of physics, realism and science it's not even funny.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 06:35 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
03-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Website Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

That's the part that bothered you? Not the part where Mengsk (who the previous game established to be a strategic genius) kept the weapon that could have wiped all the Zerg attacking his beloved city out in the blink of an eye hidden in his office until it was already too late?
03-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(03-19-2013, 11:27 AM)Funderbunk Wrote: That's the part that bothered you? Not the part where Mengsk (who the previous game established to be a strategic genius) kept the weapon that could have wiped all the Zerg attacking his beloved city out in the blink of an eye hidden in his office until it was already too late?

There may be several variables which "might" justify this:

1. Mengsk does not know how to use it like that.
2. The artifact cannot be used in such a manner after having absorbed Kerrigan's powers.

Of course, this is still mostly me trying to make up ways to feel better about the plot...

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM by Kreekakon.)
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Fair enough. There's still no plotholes that beat the plot twist in the first campaign anyway, where Mengsk turns out to be able to communicate with Tychus all this time yet somehow Mengsk wasn't wise to Raynor stealing the Odin (with Tychys inside), broadcasting his message and destroying his forces.

In fact, if StarCraft 2 did anything it was changing Mengsk into a doofus.
03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

True. There are some plotholes, but about that last bit of the ending...
Spoiler below!
If Kerrigan could fly this whole time why didn't she just use that to her advantage? Also why the hell is Raynor not like 'wtf you can fly???' and is instead just like 'k'.
And I agree, Mengsk was not that smart. He did have the artifact and chances are he could have broken the siege on Korhal with it; he might have wanted to keep it a secret until Kerrigan was in his office which he certainly did.

Also @Kreekakon I recommend putting spoilers in the tag of the thread, just my opinion, just so we don't have to use the spoiler tags.

One last word about the campaign: as a player stuck in Bronze League since WoL's release I found this too easy.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM by Zaffre.)
03-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Find

1. It's really quite simple, you don't immediately throw down an ace that you got, that's why he didn't use it, Mengsk had other strategies, they failed, so he pulled out his ace, it didn't work cause of raynor(which it would have otherwise, and he would afterwards have been able to use it on the rest of the zerg)

2. Tychus isn't that much of a douche, cut him some slack, the deal was Kerrigan dies, he goes free, that was it, he was in no other way obligated to communicate and help Mengsk, it's also quite possible that Mengsk didn't care what else they did and only considered the Queen of Blades to be the real threat

That and communicating and having Tychus do more to subvert and betray Raynor could have given the game up too soon by making him suspicious, that would be pretty stupid of him

So in other words, these 'plotholes' of yours aren't really plotholes.

And as for flying, well gee I dunno, maybe because she didn't have a need to and being able to fly would kind of break the fucking game

You can't analyze every detail of every plot, or you're going to ruin things for yourself, I loved the plot of HotS because I avoided doing that, I just sat back and enjoyed the show

Anything really, books, movies and games, if you anaylze the plot too much you're always going to turn up plotholes, so don't, do yourself a favor and just don't do it

Seriously Big Grin You'll be a happier person and you'll enjoy more things
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 10:46 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
03-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Website Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

omg y cnat u jus maik kerigin a unit form teh spair.

In all seriousness though, try not to make this a flame war. The only real part I don't understand was the last bit of the ending, and I know you've given explanations but it was just unexpected is all. That and it was a little too easy. As for the story itself it was great. They also did a great job on the cutscenes. Like that part where
Spoiler below!
Narud is shapeshifting and Kerrigan shows genuine shock each time he changes into someone else
, and I think that there weren't too many or to little.

We cool? Good.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM by Zaffre.)
03-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Find