Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Who are your favorite authors and Why?
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85
RE: Who are your favorite authors and Why?

(11-24-2012, 01:29 AM)Chronofox Wrote: I didn't like LOTR much either. I give it credit and respect for basically inventing the entire fantasy genre, but it's just that I've read better fantasy novels. Not to mention all the random implied racism.
Lord of the Rings is an ok story but I got a couple of things to say about it (the movies that is). The ridiculous amount of scenes where Frodo falls is Incredibly obnoxious. The amount of gay looking moments is ridiculous. I mean really. watch the scene from the first movie where Frodo wakes up in that elf bed or whatever where the other Hobbits come along and start jumping around in the bed!... And finally. I pretty much think the Old wizard man is the villain of the story. Come on! he makes two pseudo dwarfs almost incapable to walk due to their staggering amount of feet fur, to walk around a year or so on foot to hell itself when he could send the eagle things that he sent to help the hobs when they finished to kill the eye ball that wants to doom us all for a non specified reason! its silly... Lotr is too mainstream for the contents it possesses!

(11-25-2012, 02:51 AM)nackidno Wrote:
Quote:Hate Stephen king even though he is in almost every one's list of favorite writers...
Agreed, the main reason would be his inability to write decent dialogue, it kinda reflects into the movies based on his books, the "new" the shining comes to mind (damn that movie was awful).
But unfortunately I got to admit... The only Stephen king related thing I did enjoy was the movie " The Shining" Tongue I know most scenes make little sense and I found both Hilarious and insulting on how the black man did die first. But still I found the movie well made and was suspenseful in some of its highlights!

But you "It"!... You go crawl back to your sewers and have fun whit your goddamn floating balloons! you should burn for the stereotype compilation, and for the unsuspenseful scenes you posses!!!
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2012, 03:09 AM by Danny Boy.)
11-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

I rather enjoyed all the gay hobbit scenes in LOTR, but that's my own personal bias. Like I said, it's a decent fantasy novel, but I've read better.

[Image: p229xcq]
11-25-2012, 03:16 AM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5

The famous J.R.R.Tolkien is, as already said, the creator of modern fantasy. It is safe to say that all, if not most, writers take inspiration from such a man. Whether one would dislike his writings, either because of the writing of others or simple because it's "too mainstream for the contents it possesses!", one must look at the reasoning of the writings and the purpose of what this man was trying to say. He did not start with The Hobbit for children, though it is a famous children's book. It was a start of such a large metaphor that even the man himself did not see it coming about.

I will not emphasis what this purpose was, for it takes reading of the books and strict insight into them to figure such a purpose out. All I will write on his purpose is this... The Earth is the oldest artifact of man, holding not only all the great civilizations but also the era for which these civilizations developed. All eras bring on a new to the Earth, but one revolution began the worst, and perhaps the last era of this artifact. Tolkien knew of this time which he lived, and thus began the metaphor.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
11-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(11-25-2012, 03:00 AM)Danny Boy Wrote: The ridiculous amount of scenes where Frodo falls is Incredibly obnoxious.
^THIS^
I seriously loved the books/movies, but can find plenty of things wrong with them. If you're going to use the fucking eagle argument then you can just drop dead, it's so overused. Don't you think the eagles would have been shot the fuck down the moment the armies of Mordor saw them?

Tolkien and his friends built an entire world of majesty and magic, setting the base for all modern fantasy.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2012, 10:14 PM by failedALIAS.)
11-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(11-25-2012, 03:00 AM)Danny Boy Wrote: Lord of the Rings is an ok story but I got a couple of things to say about it (the movies that is). The ridiculous amount of scenes where Frodo falls is Incredibly obnoxious. The amount of gay looking moments is ridiculous. I mean really. watch the scene from the first movie where Frodo wakes up in that elf bed or whatever where the other Hobbits come along and start jumping around in the bed!... And finally. I pretty much think the Old wizard man is the villain of the story. Come on! he makes two pseudo dwarfs almost incapable to walk due to their staggering amount of feet fur, to walk around a year or so on foot to hell itself when he could send the eagle things that he sent to help the hobs when they finished to kill the eye ball that wants to doom us all for a non specified reason! its silly... Lotr is too mainstream for the contents it possesses!

The book is a lot different than the movie, and judging by your views you didn't even read it.

so just sayin' you can't really judge LOTR's contents before you even read the book.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2012, 12:51 AM by Nice.)
11-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(11-26-2012, 12:51 AM)DogFood Wrote: The book is a lot different than the movie, and judging by your views you didn't even read it.

so just sayin' you can't really judge LOTR's contents before you even read the book.

"Lord of the Rings is an ok story but I got a couple of things to say about it (the movies that is)."

All I commented was directed to the movie. Not the book.

So yea I can pretty much judge what I have seen.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2012, 01:03 AM by Danny Boy.)
11-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Website Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Marcel Proust - was tipped by my french teacher to read his books. Finished the first"In Search of Lost Time" and plan to read the following 6. I like how he describes the scenery and the people in the book even though he can get a bit frustrating when the descriptions become like 2 pages long.

Dostoyevsky - read 4 of his books, "The House of the Dead", "Notes from Underground", "The Double: A Petersburg Poem" and "Crime and Punishment (easy read version)". I like his way of writing and it's easy to follow the text. I do regret reading the easy-read version of CaP though. Planning on reading the full version some day.

Albert Camus - was also tipped by my french teacher to read his books. Allthough I've only read "The Stranger" I really like him. I could connect to the character in the book because I deal with problems the same way.

Right now I'm reading "On Liberty" by John Stuart Mill. It's quite a leap from reading novels to a philosophical book and there's a difference between how you read them. As with a normal book you read from page 1 to X. A philosophical book you read from 1 to perhaps 20 and then 1 to 20 again until you get the message and then you read on in the same fashion.

Well, I guess I've written enough now.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
11-26-2012, 02:05 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

I've never been into Adult themed books that much. I prefer children/teen stuff still today in general. (Can Manga be included?)
I'll point out to, that the books/authors I list are the only ones where I really, really enjoyed every bit of it. If I had to recall each book, I could repeat more than 90% of each one back to you, that's how much I enjoyed them.

(1) John Flanagan - Never got into the Ranger's Apprentice, but the Brotherband Chronicles are great. The character "Thorn" (Really the author) explains things the same way my father does, even the exact same details. So it's nice to see a person who has a similar personality/thinking. And I can relate to a lot of it also.

(2) Ken Follett - Read "The Pillars of the Earth" & "World Without End" (His other ones are amazing also, but these two are my favorite!). The plot takes around over 40+ years (give or take) to finish. Your reading a complex story of a group of 5-10 people and how their "destiny" unfolds and intertwines with each other. Pillars of the Earth is the first one. I think it was the first adult themed book that I became interested in. Adult themed coming-of-age I guess is a category for it.

(3) Nancy Farmer - The "The House of the Scorpion", another great book. It's another "coming-of-age" theme. The other series "Sea of Trolls" is another coming of age with some Norse mythology mixed in.

(4) Jonathan Stroud - Does a series called "Bartimaeus Sequence". Another coming-of-age theme, hes got a great way of separating the two main characters (later three) personalities apart from each other. Nathaniel the ever hungry power human, who teeters on light and darkness. Kitty the poor, but strong willed girl who fights for justice, and Bartimaeus. The whole powerful demon who has millenniums worth of knowledge and experience and knows exactly what to do when he wants to insult you. The way the trio interact with each other are hilarious.

(5) Manga/Manhwa (Japanese/Korean versions of American Comics, like Superman.) It's literature, contrary to what people may believe. Love it, anime sucks. (Except !!Spirited Away!!)
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2012, 03:00 AM by Rapture.)
11-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

(11-26-2012, 02:05 AM)i3670 Wrote: ...Dostoyevsky - read 4 of his books, "The House of the Dead", "Notes from Underground", "The Double: A Petersburg Poem" and "Crime and Punishment (easy read version)". I like his way of writing and it's easy to follow the text. I do regret reading the easy-read version of CaP though. Planning on reading the full version some day...
Don't miss "the Brothers Karamazov", the best one among all of his novels. The most strangest mixture of a drama, philosophy, very complicated detective and mystics. Yeah, at "the Brothers Karamazov" there's a Satan character and a very memorable interlude about the second coming of Jesus Christ and what happened. It's the last book of Dostoyevsky and he died simply next day after finishing writing it.
11-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Website Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

(11-26-2012, 09:36 PM)Alex Ros Wrote:
(11-26-2012, 02:05 AM)i3670 Wrote: ...Dostoyevsky - read 4 of his books, "The House of the Dead", "Notes from Underground", "The Double: A Petersburg Poem" and "Crime and Punishment (easy read version)". I like his way of writing and it's easy to follow the text. I do regret reading the easy-read version of CaP though. Planning on reading the full version some day...
Don't miss "the Brothers Karamazov", the best one among all of his novels. The most strangest mixture of a drama, philosophy, very complicated detective and mystics. Yeah, at "the Brothers Karamazov" there's a Satan character and a very memorable interlude about the second coming of Jesus Christ and what happened. It's the last book of Dostoyevsky and he died simply next day after finishing writing it.
Thanks for the tip. On the "died on the next day" part though I find hard to believe since the book was published in 1880 and he died 1881.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
11-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Find