Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia Custom Story Puzzle Ideas
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
Amnesia Custom Story Puzzle Ideas

Hi guys.

I am right now stuck at the puzzle making.

Firstly this is how I make custom stories:

You start out with an intro, where you learn all the controls, and how it all starts. You might be introduced to a character, or a something else that will be useful through the whole game (Like the lantern).

After a small cutscene, and maybe a little talking/walking, we will reach the first puzzle.
Since this is the first puzzle, there is no reason to go crazy with brain-frying puzzles from the start. I like to start out easy with a puzzle that is kind of basic.

Later the puzzles will get harder and harder.
We will introduce a monster, between a puzzle once.
(This is only an introduction. The player needs to know there will be monsters, before actually letting one out).

Now we reach the final level, where everything goes into something more, with an epic ending, and then a black screen, that makes you sit back there with feelings, and thinking "Wow, that was really epic. Fantastic Custom Story".

Ok, so right now I am at the first puzzle. The puzzle that should be basic, and not too hard.

My problem is that it shouldn't be too easy either.

Pulling a lever is too easy.

Pushing a button is too.

It would be cool with something new, so I'd like to hear your ideas.

I've come so far, that the puzzle's outcome should be opening a door. That's the reward for solving it.

Now what is necessary to open a door?

Any ideas? Brainstorm is awesome!
Remember items aren't the only thing that can be used in puzzles.
Any entity is useful!

The point of this thread is not only to help me, but to give inspiration to everybody who may have a hard time working on their CS.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74
RE: Amnesia Custom Story Puzzle Ideas

This is a puzzle I've thought of implementing in a future CS. It's the piano thing in the Batman movies. Hitting 3 notes in a special order opens a door/rotates a bookshelf/whatever.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(01-15-2013, 01:38 PM)i3670 Wrote: This is a puzzle I've thought of implementing in a future CS. It's the piano thing in the Batman movies. Hitting 3 notes in a special order opens a door/rotates a bookshelf/whatever.

Ah yea. That's a good one Wink

Spoiler below!

I made it in Digressiophobia Chapter 2, if you want any help with it the variables.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
01-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

I was looking around the forums for a thread like this, and now one was made! I suck at thinking of unique puzzles Sad

In Ruins [WIP]
01-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

(01-15-2013, 01:44 PM)BeeKayK Wrote:
(01-15-2013, 01:38 PM)i3670 Wrote: This is a puzzle I've thought of implementing in a future CS. It's the piano thing in the Batman movies. Hitting 3 notes in a special order opens a door/rotates a bookshelf/whatever.

Ah yea. That's a good one Wink

Spoiler below!

I made it in Digressiophobia Chapter 2, if you want any help with it the variables.

That'd be awesome.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
01-19-2013, 01:21 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

to pretend you're dead. so monsters won't notice you or something

01-19-2013, 01:56 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Having a cipher of sorts with pieces of the combination hidden around. Multiple pieces for one riddle, and that riddle itself is only a hint towards the solution. The solution may not even be a key or anything, it can be a hidden panel that reveals an access tunnel around the door. Sometimes going through isn't the best idea, one has to go around. Wink

[Image: signature-2.png]
01-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Have a door which opens through the "large castle gate mechanic"(spin a lever pulling a chain - which in turn pulls the door upwards). In this case though, the lever is broken - so the player has to stack barrels/boxes in a temporary-solution-scrawny-built "cage" which counterweights the gate and pulls it upwards.

Or.. pull out bricks from the wall, which become stepping-stones revealing a jumping path leading to the next room through a cracked wall/window higher up on the wall.

Or.. Have the wall opposite to the door be under construction (stupid illustration);
Spoiler below!

[Image: PuzzleIlllu.png]

Have the player somehow break loose the "fat wooden board", which swings across the room and smashes the door open.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-19-2013, 03:18 AM
Find
nivramm Offline

Threads: 1

Depending on the story and the environment you could build something like a ritual…having a lot of entitys and every one needs to be in a specific area…the cliche would be a star on the floor and the player needs to put at every tip a candle and then light them in the correct order…
[if sucessfully there could be a setentityactive which activates the leveldoor in the middle of the ritual…and a billboard which constantly grows or something like that.]
But the star is only an example, the task could also be to tidy a shelf and order the books in alphabetical kind or by the size…even depending on your story.
Some flashbacks about how it was once could help the player to know what he is supposed to do, maybe the player had an uncle who had the compulsion to sort books by size…or sort boxes by their content…or a table where you need to put several bodyparts you can find on and sort them like you would build a frankenstein^^ Would be great if, if sucessfull, a monster spawns on the table and smashes the door for youSmile
01-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Find
Posting Freak

(01-23-2013, 08:02 AM)nivramm Wrote: Depending on the story and the environment you could build something like a ritual…having a lot of entitys and every one needs to be in a specific area…the cliche would be a star on the floor and the player needs to put at every tip a candle and then light them in the correct order…
[if sucessfully there could be a setentityactive which activates the leveldoor in the middle of the ritual…and a billboard which constantly grows or something like that.]
But the star is only an example, the task could also be to tidy a shelf and order the books in alphabetical kind or by the size…even depending on your story.
Some flashbacks about how it was once could help the player to know what he is supposed to do, maybe the player had an uncle who had the compulsion to sort books by size…or sort boxes by their content…or a table where you need to put several bodyparts you can find on and sort them like you would build a frankenstein^^ Would be great if, if sucessfull, a monster spawns on the table and smashes the door for youSmile

Spawning a monster if the player fails, would not be the greatest solution.
Maybe rather have 2 ways completing this. Either finishing the ritual, or failing it.
If you fail the story will change completely.

01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Find