Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom monster issue!
Kirbypwnage Offline

Threads: 4
Question  Custom monster issue!

Okay, so I made my own custom monster, it was modeled in Sculptris, then ported to Blender. Then I rigged it, e.t.c, and everything worked fine. I even learned how to animate it, and started on an animation for when it stands still, which works like it should. But one thing I noticed when porting it into a .dae file from Blender, and then importing it into the Amnesia model editor, is that the editor would crash. I noticed that it was around 7 or 8 MB, which I know is a lot. Even when reducing the vertices down to the Servant Grunt's amount just took half a MB... I tried porting it into the model editor when removing the armature, and then it worked too.

So, the problems are these:

It crashes when I port it into the game, as long as it has an armature. I'm using the newest version of Blender, 2.6, so after what I know it should work.

Reducing the space it takes, from 7 MB to normal size. Because this is way too much...

Tell me if there is anything that needs to be more specific.

Picture of monster down here, in case that is needed. (Updated the picture to how it looks like after reduction, sorry for confusion!)

UPDATE: I now exported it into Maya, and then to model editor. Which created a new problem... Look down there to see...

Attached Files
.png   Skjermbilde 2013-02-19 kl. 11.04.31.png (Size: 390.85 KB / Downloads: 126)

Currently working on:
Archedale Castle: Cold Hunger
http://www.moddb.com/mods/archedale-castle
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM by Kirbypwnage.)
02-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Custom monster issue!

EDIT: You're also in the wrong part of the forum. Go to Development Support (http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html) and you'll probably find help a lot faster.

What's the polygon count for it?

Reason I'm asking is because the sculpt looks really smooth and shiny. From the original game, the grunt has 4889 polygons and the brute has 5398. If your model is too high-res, it'll crash the game by taking up too much memory space.

Of course, I could be wrong; I'm certainly not a pro at any of this. Just basing my response off of common answers I've seen on this forum from being a lurker and reading everyone else's threads Smile

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013, 09:00 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
02-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Find
Kirbypwnage Offline

(02-18-2013, 08:56 PM)Kiandra Wrote: What's the polygon count for it?

Reason I'm asking is because the sculpt looks really smooth and shiny. From the original game, the grunt has 4889 polygons and the brute has 5398. If your model is too high-res, it'll crash the game by taking up too much memory space.

Of course, I could be wrong; I'm certainly not a pro at any of this. Just basing my response off of common answers I've seen on this forum from being a lurker and reading everyone else's threads Smile

It has 6350 faces now, I reduced it earlier. It works without an armature, so I would think thats not the problem, it is still 6 MB after reducing.

Currently working on:
02-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I have never heard of anyone being able to export a monster properly with anything but maya, and even that seems to be a great amount of pain when looking at this tutorial: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-18352.html

I feel sorry for you mate.

If I have to come with anything constructive I would say you could try and download a student license of maya, get opencollada(if you know a better way to do blender to maya use that instead but this is all I know) , import your monster into maya and maybe you be lucky and have it imported properly. then you can export it from maya.

I know this sounds very impractical and has a high chance of failure but its all I can come up with mate.
Good luck!
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013, 09:08 PM by WALP.)
02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Find
Kirbypwnage Offline

(02-18-2013, 09:06 PM)martinnord Wrote: I have never heard of anyone being able to export a monster properly with anything but maya, and even that seems to be a great amount of pain when looking at this tutorial: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-18352.html

I feel sorry for you mate.

If I have to come with anything constructive I would say you could try and download a student license of maya, get opencollada(if you know a better way to do blender to maya use that instead but this is all I know) , import you monster into maya and maybe you be lucky and have it imported properly. then you can export it from maya.

This sounds very impractical and has a high chance of failure but its all I can come up with mate.
Good luck!

If I find no other way, I will try that. Thanks for helping anyway. Smile

Currently working on:
02-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

The monster in the screenshot is NOT 6 K polygons.

It just isn't, go fix it, you can't use a model made in sculptris, sculpts are made to bake as normal maps onto low poly models, the reason for the file size is because this model has a massive ammount of polygons, which the engine itself won't like.
02-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Find
Kirbypwnage Offline

(02-18-2013, 09:29 PM)Traggey Wrote: The monster in the screenshot is NOT 6 K polygons.

It just isn't, go fix it, you can't use a model made in sculptris, sculpts are made to bake as normal maps onto low poly models, the reason for the file size is because this model has a massive ammount of polygons, which the engine itself won't like.

6k of polygons isn't a massive amount. The in-game monsters has around 4-6 k themselves.

But yes, the monster in the pic has a lot more thank 6 K. The picture is old, and was made before I reduced it.

Currently working on:
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013, 09:33 PM by Kirbypwnage.)
02-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Not claiming 4-6 K is alot.

Just saying the screenshot provided contains ALOT more polygons than that, and the model wouldn't function in a such a state.
02-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Find
Kirbypwnage Offline

(02-18-2013, 09:35 PM)Traggey Wrote: Not claiming 4-6 K is alot.

Just saying the screenshot provided contains ALOT more polygons than that, and the model wouldn't function in a such a state.

Okay. But as I said in the above comment, it was made before the reduction of polygons. I can post a pic of how it looks like now, if that is needed.

Currently working on:
02-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Blender armatures are not supported.

Merging duplicate threads.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM by Your Computer.)
02-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Website Find