Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you like the idea of playable monsters and do you think its possible?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I like it, and it should indeed be possible. Smile
26.32%
5 26.32%
No, I dont like it, but it should indeed be possible. :/
15.79%
3 15.79%
Yes, I really like this idea, but im afraid its not possible. Sad
21.05%
4 21.05%
No, I dont like it, and I think its impossible to achieve. Tongue
36.84%
7 36.84%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play as an npc in amnesia the dark decent
Erik The Born Offline

Threads: 7
Information  Play as an npc in amnesia the dark decent

Hello, I dont really know where this thread should go but I think this section might do. I am wondering if i can play as an NPC in Amnesia? Example playing as a brute or grunt. (Yeah playing as the Guardian isnt really simple though lol). How would i do that? We just have to make the camera stuck to an npc and make it controllable hmm. and also make it able to attack. and hurt others. That might be harder since theres no death animation for them. But lets make them go up in acid after you hit them a couple of times. OR maybe just make them a ragdoll like a dead body.
Also we must have a third person mode. Pherhaps a way to toggle third person mode. and in first person mode you just delete the head so it wont be in the way.

Thanks for your help.

Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013, 08:15 AM by Erik The Born.)
03-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32
RE: Play as an npc in amnesia the dark decent

(03-15-2013, 08:09 AM)Erik The Born Wrote: Hello, I dont really know where this thread should go but I think this section might do. I am wondering if i can play as an NPC in Amnesia? Example playing as a brute or grunt. (Yeah playing as the Guardian isnt really simple though lol). How would i do that? We just have to make the camera stuck to an npc and make it controllable hmm. and also make it able to attack. and hurt others. That might be harder since theres no death animation for them. But lets make them go up in acid after you hit them a couple of times. OR maybe just make them a ragdoll like a dead body.
Also we must have a third person mode. Pherhaps a way to toggle third person mode. and in first person mode you just delete the head so it wont be in the way.

Thanks for your help.

Smile

We also have to make a model of Daniel, and animations for him, so that you can actually see who you're cutting up. Also; playing from a 3rd person perspective would make the camera bounce outside the map, instantaneously ruining the experience and atmosphere of the game.

No. This should not happen; mainly because it is absolutely useless, and only going to be satisfactory for the player for right around 5 minutes until you get bored of it.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
03-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Find
Erik The Born Offline

Its not useless. Whenever theres an enemy you always have to hide. But if you were one of them you could fight back. I was planning on making a custom story wich you play as rather as grunt or a brute. You can walk, run, and attack. Attacks can hurt but theres no death animation or actual health for the enemys. So thats custom added aswell. They enemys gets ragdolled after being attacks 2 times by brute, or 4 times by grunt. Getting bored? No. Atleast I wouldnt... But is there anyway of achieving this? i got a high feeling it does. Just need to know how.
03-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(03-15-2013, 02:55 PM)Erik The Born Wrote: Its not useless. Whenever theres an enemy you always have to hide. But if you were one of them you could fight back. I was planning on making a custom story wich you play as rather as grunt or a brute. You can walk, run, and attack. Attacks can hurt but theres no death animation or actual health for the enemys. So thats custom added aswell. They enemys gets ragdolled after being attacks 2 times by brute, or 4 times by grunt. Getting bored? No. Atleast I wouldnt... But is there anyway of achieving this? i got a high feeling it does. Just need to know how.
please keep in mind you dont have acces to most of the code so you are very limited and will have to do some serious work-arounds for some of the things you want to do, if they are at all possible.
but good luck anyway :D
03-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Maybe you should ask the guys who are working on the Resident Evil mod for Amnesia. From what I've heard they've implemented a firearm of sorts that's actually causing damage to an enemy. They may have an idea or two for creating a melee system, too.
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Find
Erik The Born Offline

Uhhmmm thnx but i dont really have any idea how to do this XD. I was hoping I could find a guy here who can make this possible.
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Find
ExpectedIdentifier Offline

Threads: 10

(03-15-2013, 05:35 PM)Erik The Born Wrote: Uhhmmm thnx but i dont really have any idea how to do this XD. I was hoping I could find a guy here who can make this possible.

It's only possible from a first person perspective as far as I'm aware. You can make it appear as though you are the monster by having areas where interacting with something, say a door, would play the monster attacking sound, and reducing the prop health. You could also do some effects like adding some blur and changing the FOV. Also having the monster noises playing at the player's location. You would not see any animations when the character attacked though. As for attacking other things, I don't think it's possible. I think the enemies do actually have health, although nothing in the game can actually effect it. It might be possible (but probably not) to make it so that when you click on a enemy, it would reduce it's health, and once the health was less than 1 you could call the SetEntityActive function and set it to false and play a particle effect at the monster who was "dying"'s location. If changing the enemy's health does not work you could also make int variables for each enemy you want to be kill-able. When you've clicked a certain amount of times, say 3, use an if statement to check if(GetLocalVarInt("HowManyTimesYouveClickedTheEnemy") == 3)
{
SetEntityActive("Enemy_01",false);
CreateParticleSystemAtEntity("Particle", "ps_particle_system", "Enemy_01", false);

}

The first bit is definitely possible, not sure about the killing the enemy to be honest as it has no PlayerInteractCallback to call a function.

Just FYI, I think doing this in Amnesia is pretty stupid (although it could be quite fun, but totally goes against the entire point of the game and would kill any atmosphere created.) Amnesia was meant for atmosphere and fear in my opinion, not killing things.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM by ExpectedIdentifier.)
03-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Find
tonitoni1998 Offline

Threads: 54

this sounds like an idea, you had when feeling very creative, and without really thinking about it. sure you could do it somehow. this game was made somehow. but you dont sound like a guy who is very familar with scripting. i am sorry, but i guess the less of us can do that. it would be too much work to design a model of daniel, to animate it, to do all the scripting so that daniel will run away and hide intelligent. so it might be a nice idea, but i think its not really possible for people like us.

When you are looking for someone, to do the scripting for your Custom Story, ask me!
03-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Find
ingedoom Offline

Threads: 12

Well.. It sounded like you would want to be able to fight back... This can be done in a lots of ways. I would probably start in the monster file and reduce the damage it does on a hit, and also it's health.
This i quite easy..
Now for the players damage... Actually the left click button is called "Attack" so i think it should be possible to go into the game config file and from there increase the damage of the player. For example when you smash the stone wall and the window in the original game (when you do it by hand) you actually apply damage to it. I don't know much about the animations though, but if you want it to look realistic, for the love of god just choose another game.. But nice ideas though. Amnesia just isn't fit for them i'm sorry.

[Image: 23778.png]
03-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Website Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Sorry, but i have to say no. Amnesia is meant to in strike fear. Playing as an NPC or a Monster ruins it.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Find