Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Amnesia should have CO-OP... ;P

(06-01-2011, 07:46 PM)Darkchef Wrote: Horror games will never be suitable for multiplayer because it takes away the whole atmosphere of the game. END OF DISCUSSION.

You can't just end a discussion just because you believe it's impossible. Furthermore, developers can't afford to write things off as impossible in a form of media that thrives on innovation and new ideas.

If you read my post, and some of the other posts in this thread, there are many great ideas to create the same atmosphere even with two players. Separating the players frequently as well as always on voice chat that can alert the monsters if you are speaking too loudly would be incredible. Whispering an idea to solve a puzzle to your friend while a grunt is patrolling nearby would be nerve-wracking.

I'm sure there are hundreds of other great ideas that could make it extremely enjoyable as well as terrifying to play even with another person, but the true potential will never be discovered if everyone closes themselves off from the idea.

(06-01-2011, 08:07 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: Looking this up, the MafiaIIMultiplayer is not yet out after 9 months, will use a professional networking middleware somehow integrated into the code, and is being developed by a team of people out of Holland, and as an aside making in-game models is also not trivial.

It takes a hell of a lot more time and resources to make a competitive (and balanced) multiplayer game with a dozen or more players simultaneously than it does for a simple 2 person locally hosted game.
06-02-2011, 02:25 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:Horror games will never be suitable for multiplayer because it takes away the whole atmosphere of the game. END OF DISCUSSION.

I just noticed this, and I agree with Freeman(heh) but if I was a developer, I would take that as a dare, and I would go out AND DO IT to prove you wrong. Just cause it's not obvious that such a thing would be possible(I believe it is) doesn't mean it can't be done.

In fact the idea intrigues me itself, how would someone create a multiplayer horror game that retains the atmosphere?
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011, 04:03 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
06-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Website Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

(06-02-2011, 02:25 AM)SHODANFreeman Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 07:46 PM)Darkchef Wrote: [quote='hollowleviathan' pid='73563' dateline='1306955244']Looking this up, the MafiaIIMultiplayer is not yet out after 9 months, will use a professional networking middleware somehow integrated into the code, and is being developed by a team of people out of Holland, and as an aside making in-game models is also not trivial.

It takes a hell of a lot more time and resources to make a competitive (and balanced) multiplayer game with a dozen or more players simultaneously than it does for a simple 2 person locally hosted game.

Exactly! And as far as atmosphere, that's why true fans of it would still probably prefer single player...however, changing it up every now and then does no harm. You can dabble in things that are not your favorite but you still enjoy.

06-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(06-02-2011, 04:01 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: In fact the idea intrigues me itself, how would someone create a multiplayer horror game that retains the atmosphere?

Like that?
Set_Done_Right = true;

Okay, that was the last one Tongue

06-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Website Find
Darkchef Offline

Threads: 8

(06-02-2011, 02:25 AM)SHODANFreeman Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 07:46 PM)Darkchef Wrote: Horror games will never be suitable for multiplayer because it takes away the whole atmosphere of the game. END OF DISCUSSION.

You can't just end a discussion just because you believe it's impossible. Furthermore, developers can't afford to write things off as impossible in a form of media that thrives on innovation and new ideas.

If you read my post, and some of the other posts in this thread, there are many great ideas to create the same atmosphere even with two players. Separating the players frequently as well as always on voice chat that can alert the monsters if you are speaking too loudly would be incredible. Whispering an idea to solve a puzzle to your friend while a grunt is patrolling nearby would be nerve-wracking.

I'm sure there are hundreds of other great ideas that could make it extremely enjoyable as well as terrifying to play even with another person, but the true potential will never be discovered if everyone closes themselves off from the idea.

(06-02-2011, 04:01 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
Quote:Horror games will never be suitable for multiplayer because it takes away the whole atmosphere of the game. END OF DISCUSSION.

I just noticed this, and I agree with Freeman(heh) but if I was a developer, I would take that as a dare, and I would go out AND DO IT to prove you wrong. Just cause it's not obvious that such a thing would be possible(I believe it is) doesn't mean it can't be done.

In fact the idea intrigues me itself, how would someone create a multiplayer horror game that retains the atmosphere?

Haha well i will try to explain myself, I just don't think multiplayer would work well in Amnesia as to me the whole point of the game is the immersion and isolation which would be ruined if there was another person within the game at the same time. Also, simply keeping the players apart would kinda defeat the whole point of a multiplayer game. I do like the idea of the voice chat alerting the monsters though, although i'm not sure how you could really implement that effectively.

But hey if Frictional Games want to prove me wrong then DO IT!!
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011, 04:10 PM by Darkchef.)
06-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Website Find

(06-02-2011, 11:14 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(06-02-2011, 04:01 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: In fact the idea intrigues me itself, how would someone create a multiplayer horror game that retains the atmosphere?

Like that?
Set_Done_Right = true;

Okay, that was the last one Tongue

loool
06-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Website Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

(06-02-2011, 04:09 PM)Darkchef Wrote: Haha well i will try to explain myself, I just don't think multiplayer would work well in Amnesia as to me the whole point of the game is the immersion and isolation which would be ruined if there was another person within the game at the same time. Also, simply keeping the players apart would kinda defeat the whole point of a multiplayer game. I do like the idea of the voice chat alerting the monsters though, although i'm not sure how you could really implement that effectively.

But hey if Frictional Games want to prove me wrong then DO IT!!

I don't think immersion and isolation are sacrificed unless you're screwing around or something, but if the voice chat alerted monsters, I don't think there would be as much screwing around.

Also, picture this: The players come upon a room filled with monsters, and a critical puzzle element inside, like, a wheel that you have to continually turn for a few seconds to raise a gate, for example. If you try to just run in and turn it, the monsters dismember you. So one player has to run in, get the attention of the monsters, and lure them down a different corridor, at which point the second player can go in and open the gate. Once the second player opens the gate, they will have a false sense of security built up, so they turn around to head towards the gate and there's a hallucination of a monster coming right at them, which would almost certainly horrify them. The other player manages to run back somehow with the monsters in tow, and they both run through the gate and hit a switch to drop the gate, blocking the monsters from chasing them.

Given their mastery of the genre, I'm sure Frictional can come up with something even more terrifying and intense than the little scenario I just came up with. I just think it would be foolish to ignore the possibility present in the idea.

Even if it just turned out to be a slightly more puzzle-y slightly less action-y version of "Half-life: Decay", it would still be great fun as a co-op game, and would in no way diminish the quality of the existing single-player game, imo. Big Grin
06-03-2011, 04:23 AM
Find

Lawl I just caught on to your username lol can't believe I missed it.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2011, 05:51 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
06-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Website Find
DarkEagle Offline

Threads: 3

That would be awesome, but it ruins the game... Sad

Because it wouldn't be a horror game anymore but a adventure...

When you play with two player's in a scary map it wouldn't be scary anymore..

Some time's people aren't people!
In Developement:Dark Path 13%
06-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Find
aidan499 Offline

Threads: 14

It would be scary if like a no co-op but like a Vs ... or Hunt gamemode online or something.
How would it ruin the game?
Its boring the Story line I lost all my saves.
when online there would be playerable monsters like on deadspace 2 You cant be a zombie on it
only online.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM by aidan499.)
06-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Find