Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!!
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Amnesia should have CO-OP... ;P

nice? NICE??

Pokemon would better suit your needs and mentality.
02-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Find
davva Offline

Threads: 1

nej... bara nej

02-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

There should be a limit. Why the hell everyone with exactly one post has to open this shit-clone threads?

02-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Website Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

I actually really like the concept of a co-op horror adventure game, but it would have to be designed from the ground up for it. I don't think it would be AS scary, but it would certainly be fun.

Think Half-life: Decay, but with the atmosphere and lack of weaponry of Amnesia. Big Grin
02-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Find
pedritti Offline

I only imagine it would be fun to witness the following:

- you " Ok so i've got to get this machine working so you can pass that bridge but ARGH Whathtefuckisthat *hide* "

- your friend " What is happening? "

- you " Shhh im hiding, Shit! It's gonna see me"

etc etc etc
02-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Find
Taken6243 Offline

I think that might kill the magic of it. A lot of Amnesia is about isolation and being totally alone with the monsters. Being with a friend might be too calming. But strangely, there is something interesting about that. It would be interesting to see how people work together when being chased by monsters, and maybe some of the hillarious reactions when a Grunt shows up and both players have to run around and trick it. But you know as they say, the scary things in life are a lot less scarier when your with a friend.
02-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Find
LSunday Offline

I would be inclined to say it's a good idea, but only if approached VERY carefully. I trust Frictional, and think they would be capable of making it work. I say this because a I came up with the idea with a few of my friends, and they said very similar things to you until I explained how some of it would work.

Basically, you need to make the immersion work. If you have two characters in a chat or something, it would get too easy to break the illusion. So, I came up with using the computer's internal mic.

Basically, the game would create a voice chat between you in your partner, but ONLY if you and your partner are within a certain range of each other (earshot). The sound made by your mic would spread in the world a certain range, based on the volume, and not only could your partner hear you, but the monsters can as well- forcing you to be quiet in real life when you see a creature.

The game would also have to make you fear for the well-being of your partner as well as yourself. In order to do this, the game would have to split you up frequently to solve puzzles- And, importantly, it would have to not immediately restart if one of you died. We came up with two restart options: You both die, OR your partner finds your body. In order to keep it interesting, a creepy ghost control could be made (Like the wind in Amnesia, only player controlled), so if you died you need to try to tell your partner (in this situation, the voice chat range would disconnect). Or, you could just snap to your partner's screen and watch them for a while.

Obviously, this is risky. It wouldn't be very hard to break the illusion- However, if done properly, a co-op horror could potentially be much scarier than the single-player, by not only using fear for yourself, but fear for another person. And with the 'finding the body' technique, when you realize your partner has died, you then have to venture into an area that you ALREADY KNOW is dangerous.

And yes, this is mostly a repost from my response in another thread. But it applies here as well, so deal with it. Wink
02-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Find
pedritti Offline

(02-11-2011, 04:46 AM)LSunday Wrote: I would be inclined to say it's a good idea, but only if approached VERY carefully. I trust Frictional, and think they would be capable of making it work. I say this because a I came up with the idea with a few of my friends, and they said very similar things to you until I explained how some of it would work.

Basically, you need to make the immersion work. If you have two characters in a chat or something, it would get too easy to break the illusion. So, I came up with using the computer's internal mic.

Basically, the game would create a voice chat between you in your partner, but ONLY if you and your partner are within a certain range of each other (earshot). The sound made by your mic would spread in the world a certain range, based on the volume, and not only could your partner hear you, but the monsters can as well- forcing you to be quiet in real life when you see a creature.

The game would also have to make you fear for the well-being of your partner as well as yourself. In order to do this, the game would have to split you up frequently to solve puzzles- And, importantly, it would have to not immediately restart if one of you died. We came up with two restart options: You both die, OR your partner finds your body. In order to keep it interesting, a creepy ghost control could be made (Like the wind in Amnesia, only player controlled), so if you died you need to try to tell your partner (in this situation, the voice chat range would disconnect). Or, you could just snap to your partner's screen and watch them for a while.

Obviously, this is risky. It wouldn't be very hard to break the illusion- However, if done properly, a co-op horror could potentially be much scarier than the single-player, by not only using fear for yourself, but fear for another person. And with the 'finding the body' technique, when you realize your partner has died, you then have to venture into an area that you ALREADY KNOW is dangerous.

And yes, this is mostly a repost from my response in another thread. But it applies here as well, so deal with it. Wink

Yes the fear of hearing some loud horrible noise near your friends location ( due to the fact that as you said both you and monsters could hear) would make for some bone chilling scares of imagining your partner with something horrible near him.

I guess if done very carefully could be interesting
02-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Find
luckyme Offline

Threads: 0

Unfortunately, the atmosphere would be so easily ruined by playing with another person who didn't take the game seriously. Assuming we're talking about two player co-op, I'd suggest that players were each given a responsibility, and had to rely on each other to survive. Perhaps, for example, one player was responsible for providing light, whilst the other was provided with a map, so to navigate them through these dark mazes and corridors. There would be more incentive to stay together, and if separated, players would panic and be forced to survive on their own.

As previously mentioned though, Co-op changes everything, and probably wouldn't work with Amnesia. The game would have to rebuilt from scratch, and I'd imagine it would be very hard to keep things scary, especially if players used microphones. Listening to a mate scream in terror is hilarious, and not frightening in any way.
02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Find
house Offline

Threads: 11

I guess it would be nice. You can make a custom story that requires two or more people. That'd be fun. Or play custom stories from this site. And It would also be nice if like, in the
Amnesia Story:
2 Players: twice monsters
3 Players: twice monsters
4 Players: triple Monsters Big Grin
5 Players: Triple Monsters
6 OR MORE Players: Triple Monsters or owner of server desides.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2011, 05:58 PM by house.)
02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Find