Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2

(05-01-2013, 10:47 PM)fancreeper Wrote: Exactly!First time prison level took me 1 hour to beat,now it takes me only 20 minutes!

oh the prison...it took me 45 minutes to decide to enter the prison... Tongue
05-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

The games like Portal and Dear Esther, which are probably the best games I've played, are only a couple of hours long, so the estimated gameplay of the Pigs doesn't bother me much Smile
We'll see in the end should it have been longer.
05-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

(05-01-2013, 11:11 PM)Zgroktar Wrote: The games like Portal and Dear Esther, which are probably the best games I've played, are only a couple of hours long, so the estimated gameplay of the Pigs doesn't bother me much Smile

I've never understood this passion for bigger/longer/taller/more expensive/etc = 'better'. It's nonsense. Give me quality over 'quantity' any day. Looks at Dear Esther and Journey = two 'short' games that are both superb with great emotional impact.
05-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(05-01-2013, 11:11 PM)Zgroktar Wrote: The games like Portal and Dear Esther, which are probably the best games I've played, are only a couple of hours long, so the estimated gameplay of the Pigs doesn't bother me much Smile

(05-01-2013, 11:17 PM)Ossie Wrote:

I've never understood this passion for bigger/longer/taller/more expensive/etc = 'better'. It's nonsense. Give me quality over 'quantity' any day. Looks at Dear Esther and Journey = two 'short' games that are both superb with great emotional impact.

The main reason why people want A Machine for Pigs to be longer can be answered with a question: why wouldn't you want more of a good thing?

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013, 11:20 PM by darkely.)
05-01-2013, 11:20 PM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

(05-01-2013, 11:20 PM)darkely Wrote:

The main reason why people want A Machine for Pigs to be longer can be answered with a question: why wouldn't you want more of a good thing?

You have a point, I personally also enjoy good long games, and I wouldn't mind at all if the AMFP was ten hours long. But bear in mind that some really great shorter games wouldn't get any better if they were longer and actually could loose some quality.
05-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Find
GOAT Offline

If there is a way to edit monsters and incorporate new ones for custom stories the possibilities can be endless. Regardless I want someone to recreate the last level to the PS2 game Manhunt with Piggsy. Wondering if anyone played that game
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Find
Spaceman Offline

I wonder, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being yawn and 10 being heart attack how scary this game will be.

EDIT:

Actually something really interesting just occurred to me. Since they've abolished the inventory system, what if instead of picking stuff up with just the right mouse, they use a hand system of left and right so you can carry more than one item at the same time? Since the end of the penumbra series, they took out the right click to receive 'information' about what the player is pointing at so it wouldn't be out of the question.

That or, perhaps right clicking on a door whilst holding an item will allow you to move into another area with the item still in your hand?

[Image: tumblr_meuosnsjDw1s01xwto1_500.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013, 11:59 PM by Spaceman.)
05-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(05-01-2013, 10:29 PM)fancreeper Wrote:
(05-01-2013, 09:59 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: 4-4 1/2 hours... that's a little disappointing to be honest. But, he did say it was a speed run done by the people who made the game, and so know it very well, so I'd imagine it would take close to twice that long if you really spend your time immersed in the game, exploring, piecing stuff together, and generally taking your time, like everybody should in a quality > quantity game like this.

This is how long ATDD is with a speed run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5SSFBVw8iE Big Grin pretty short,ha?

That's with a crap-ton of glitches though...

Of course... you're kinda preaching to the choir here, pretty sure everybody here agrees with you. But consider this. IF quality is the same all the way across, would you rather a shorter game, or a longer game?

Longer doesn't necessarily mean worse either, and if the quality of a game is unaffected by it's length, everybody would rather a longer experience than a shorter one (within reason, of course).
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013, 12:08 AM by bluel0bster.)
05-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(05-02-2013, 12:07 AM)bluel0bster Wrote:
(05-01-2013, 10:29 PM)fancreeper Wrote:
(05-01-2013, 09:59 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: 4-4 1/2 hours... that's a little disappointing to be honest. But, he did say it was a speed run done by the people who made the game, and so know it very well, so I'd imagine it would take close to twice that long if you really spend your time immersed in the game, exploring, piecing stuff together, and generally taking your time, like everybody should in a quality > quantity game like this.

This is how long ATDD is with a speed run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5SSFBVw8iE Big Grin pretty short,ha?

That's with a crap-ton of glitches though...

So? sites that document speed runs (like speed demos archive) allow you use to glitches. As a rule of thumb as long as you're not using any external programs in-games cheats is allowed. Using unpatched exploits is fine though.

05-02-2013, 12:10 AM
Find
Chris Deveaux Offline

Threads: 3

undefined
05-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Find