Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make a mirror in the editor??
AtraNox Offline

Threads: 4
How to make a mirror in the editor??

Hi guys, I was just wondering if it would be possible to create a mirror in Amnesia, or at least something similar. It would be perfect for the custom story i'm working on! Is there ANY way to make something that looks like a mirror? Something that you can use to see yourself someway.. Any idea would be appreciated! One last question: if there isn't a way to make it visible, I'd like to create an object that you pick up, and when it's in the inventory can change its description! In my story you slowly turn into a monster, and I need something that you can use to check your situation during the key-moments.. Please give me some suggestions, I haven't got any ideas.. Thank you very much and, as always, sorry for my bad english Big Grin
05-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: How to make a mirror in the editor??

For the mirror, you can make one but it's hard to do the stuff you said.
As for the item thingy, I don't think you can change it's description. Unless it changes automatically.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Find
Akos115 Offline

Threads: 14

You can change the descrption by removing the item, then giving the player an other one.

05-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

You can't make a mirror, not a realtime one anyway, and no matter what you do there's no way you can see yourself in the mirror because there is no player model.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2013, 04:47 PM by Traggey.)
05-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(05-05-2013, 03:06 PM)AtraNox Wrote: One last question: if there isn't a way to make it visible, I'd like to create an object that you pick up, and when it's in the inventory can change its description! In my story you slowly turn into a monster, and I need something that you can use to check your situation during the key-moments.. Please give me some suggestions, I haven't got any ideas.. Thank you very much and, as always, sorry for my bad english :D

I'm not sure if it's possible to have the item description change - you could try this:
(Assuming Item 1 and Item 2 look identical)
Item 1 - description for when you're human
*change takes place*
Item 1 is removed by a script and replaced with Item 2
Item 2 - description for when transformation takes place

I'm not sure how that would work since I'm not the world's best scripter, but you could give it a try :)

There are other ways to show the change such as:
- having monster sounds play at random intervals with the character while no monsters are around
- the monsters in the game stop paying attention to you/perceiving you as an enemy
- the player starts breaking down doors instead of opening them (I could try to explain a way of doing this with script areas and locked doors if you would like me to)

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
05-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Find
AtraNox Offline

Threads: 4

(05-05-2013, 09:07 PM)Kiandra Wrote:
(05-05-2013, 03:06 PM)AtraNox Wrote: One last question: if there isn't a way to make it visible, I'd like to create an object that you pick up, and when it's in the inventory can change its description! In my story you slowly turn into a monster, and I need something that you can use to check your situation during the key-moments.. Please give me some suggestions, I haven't got any ideas.. Thank you very much and, as always, sorry for my bad english Big Grin

I'm not sure if it's possible to have the item description change - you could try this:
*change takes place*

I'm not sure how that would work since I'm not the world's best scripter, but you could give it a try Smile

- having monster sounds play at random intervals with the character while no monsters are around
- the monsters in the game stop paying attention to you/perceiving you as an enemy
- the player starts breaking down doors instead of opening them (I could try to explain a way of doing this with script areas and locked doors if you would like me to)
Thanks, you've got some very good ideas!! Smile If it doesn't annoy you, it would be great to know how to make the player break doors! But I don't want to be too fussy, you already gave me some awesome ideas Smile Thanks to all of you!
05-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(05-08-2013, 05:43 PM)AtraNox Wrote:
(05-05-2013, 09:07 PM)Kiandra Wrote:
(05-05-2013, 03:06 PM)AtraNox Wrote: One last question: if there isn't a way to make it visible, I'd like to create an object that you pick up, and when it's in the inventory can change its description! In my story you slowly turn into a monster, and I need something that you can use to check your situation during the key-moments.. Please give me some suggestions, I haven't got any ideas.. Thank you very much and, as always, sorry for my bad english Big Grin

*change takes place*

I'm not sure how that would work since I'm not the world's best scripter, but you could give it a try Smile

Thanks, you've got some very good ideas!! Smile If it doesn't annoy you, it would be great to know how to make the player break doors! But I don't want to be too fussy, you already gave me some awesome ideas Smile Thanks to all of you!

void OnStart()
{
SetEntityPlayerInteractCallback("DoorName", "PlrBreakDoor", false);
}

void PlrBreakDoor(string &in asEntity)
{
SetPropHealth("DoorName", 75);
SetEntityPlayerInteractCallback("DoorName", "PlrBreakDoor2", false);
}

void PlrBreakDoor2(string &in asEntity)
{
SetPropHealth("DoorName", 50);
}
Try that out first. Please note that it is not complete. I need you to test whether it works or not.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2013, 12:48 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
05-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Even if you could see the player (most games neglect to have player models visible in first person beyond their arms), mirrors are very impractical in games. The cost of redrawing or computing what part of a scene is visible in a mirror would make frametimes so high they would get arrested for drug abuse. To emulate one you'd have to carefully build the environment around the "mirror" and get a custom-made player model. Probably way more work than it's worth.

05-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(05-09-2013, 09:56 AM)palistov Wrote: Even if you could see the player (most games neglect to have player models visible in first person beyond their arms), mirrors are very impractical in games. The cost of redrawing or computing what part of a scene is visible in a mirror would make frametimes so high they would get arrested for drug abuse. To emulate one you'd have to carefully build the environment around the "mirror" and get a custom-made player model. Probably way more work than it's worth.
What about taking a screenshot of the environment and using it as a texture for reflection, and only letting the mirror mirror the player and other moving objects? (in case you havent realised we are now in the part of discussion where its no longer in amnesia)
05-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

How do we mirror everything? If a dildo was somehow in there, then we need to reflect that. How?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
05-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Find