Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objects with more than one texture
Theforgot3n1 Offline

Threads: 20
Objects with more than one texture

No one seems to have addressed the way the textures are dealt with in Amnesia. Trying to decipher it, for static objects, it seems they use this .dds, most likely consisting of the details of it's properties, and the .mat. This .mat file often has like a bunch of segments of textures in it that are used by several objects.

I just opened a thread regarding how to import a model with a texture that spans the entire object. It was fairly simple. But attempting to make a complexer one with a few more textures seems to require a lot more to do... SO HERE I AM! Big Grin

How would one go about creating an object that, for instance, has a protrusion using a different texture than the main body (especially curious about the .mat file/material editor).

Thanks in advance. Tongue There's a lot to do before I can successfully use some custom models though. :-(

Confusion: a Custom Story - Ch1 for play!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-15477.html
About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2013, 04:51 AM by Theforgot3n1.)
06-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Website Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Objects with more than one texture

Dunno. But you could probably make a part that is different into one texture.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

(06-09-2013, 07:12 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Dunno. But you could probably make a part that is different into one texture.

That is true... but I kind of want to use one of Amnesia's textures. The textures for the pipes would be very nice to use for a pipe of my own I wanna create. That will probably be my last solution.

About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
06-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

You just need to make the parts of your model that uses a different texture into a seperate objects and export it all together.
Not only will this allow you to have different textures on your model but it will also make amnesia recognice the different objects as "submeshes", which can be editted seperately in model editor to create entities with more advances physics and properties and such.

Also just like to stress that .dds is not required, its just good because better performance and mip-maps

EDIT: also to use an amnesia texture just assign it strait from the 3d software you are using.
amnesia will be able to find the material as long as the diffuse(color) is assigned to your model-
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2013, 08:22 AM by WALP.)
06-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

(06-09-2013, 08:20 AM)The Mug Wrote: You just need to make the parts of your model that uses a different texture into a seperate objects and export it all together.
Not only will this allow you to have different textures on your model but it will also make amnesia recognice the different objects as "submeshes", which can be editted seperately in model editor to create entities with more advances physics and properties and such.

Also just like to stress that .dds is not required, its just good because better performance and mip-maps

EDIT: also to use an amnesia texture just assign it strait from the 3d software you are using.
amnesia will be able to find the material as long as the diffuse(color) is assigned to your model-

Alright! I was able to use the amnesia texture .dds file just like any, and it showed up in the model viewer.

However, I do wonder what I am to do in order to "organize" the textures. The texture engulfing the model shows up as how that collection of images normally looks like, an ugly chaos.

Also, might you know why it starts to look like this on my pipe? This is not nearly as important as getting the texture from the .dds organized.
[Image: bugmayaamnesia.png] (if you can see, the texture gets blurry at a new "extrude" and at it's corners...)

About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2013, 07:38 PM by Theforgot3n1.)
06-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(06-09-2013, 07:05 PM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote:
(06-09-2013, 08:20 AM)The Mug Wrote: You just need to make the parts of your model that uses a different texture into a seperate objects and export it all together.

Alright! I was able to use the amnesia texture .dds file just like any, and it showed up in the model viewer.

However, I do wonder what I am to do in order to "organize" the textures. The texture engulfing the model shows up as how that collection of images normally looks like, an ugly chaos.

Also, might you know why it starts to look like this on my pipe? This is not nearly as important as getting the texture from the .dds organized.
[Image: bugmayaamnesia.png] (if you can see, the texture gets blurry at a new "extrude" and at it's corners...)

are you familiar with the term UV mapping? or are you talking about the textures location on the pc?
06-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

(06-09-2013, 09:13 PM)The Mug Wrote: are you familiar with the term UV mapping? or are you talking about the textures location on the pc?

I'm not talking about the location. That should be something fairly minor.

UV mapping is when you lay the object out in 2D right? I've seen some people texture using that, but how does it work with that .dds? They took a snapshot and fixed with GIMP 2.

About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
06-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(06-09-2013, 09:33 PM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote:
(06-09-2013, 09:13 PM)The Mug Wrote: are you familiar with the term UV mapping? or are you talking about the textures location on the pc?

I'm not talking about the location. That should be something fairly minor.

UV mapping is when you lay the object out in 2D right? I've seen some people texture using that, but how does it work with that .dds? They took a snapshot and fixed with GIMP 2.
It works with a .dds just like with any other texture.
To fix the stretch and stuff you need to UV unwrap it properly.
UV mapping is essential for almost any model in any 3dsoftware so there should be plenty of tutorials for you to find out there.
06-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Find
Theforgot3n1 Offline

(06-09-2013, 10:25 PM)The Mug Wrote: It works with a .dds just like with any other texture.
To fix the stretch and stuff you need to UV unwrap it properly.
UV mapping is essential for almost any model in any 3dsoftware so there should be plenty of tutorials for you to find out there.

I see... I'm really starting to grasp this now. Thanks a lot!

Not going to mark this thread as solved just yet, though.

EDIT: Forget that last sentence. I got it all understood now. Smile)

About 50% built.
Delayed for now though!
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2013, 04:52 AM by Theforgot3n1.)
06-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Website Find